• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I am new to reloading having have reloaded about a 1000 rounds now and am noticing that my reloads blow a lot more smoke than factory loads. I am using winchester 231 powder with winchester wsp primers ( I am currently only load handgun ammo) and cheap lead round nose. I am wondering if I am missing a step in the case cleaning process or if I should use a different powder next go around? Or is this just the nature of the beast?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    231 doesn't smoke its the bullet lube, the harder the lube usually the less smoke, if the lube is gooy then try to get some bullets with harder lube, Or TELL your bullet supplier what you want, Don't forget to talk to your caster, different lubes do different things so maybe your supplier will accomadate you

my main point is don't just abandon someone trying to make a good product give them a chance to make what you want

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I add my vote to lube as the culprit. I use a lot of 231 and it seems to be clean burning with jacketed bullets. Most lubes for cast will leave some residue behind.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I'd say, regardless, when you shoot lead, there'll be smoke.
    IMHO it'll be there regardless of lube, might be more with some lubes, less with others, but I think it also has to do with the powders used..

I'm shooting white label lubes thru my 45's...nice puffs of smoke.
    Using Rooster Labs on my 500 and 480. Looks like a muzzleloader at times, depending on my powder I'm using.

I might be wrong in my thinking, really never paid much attention to it, till this thread.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Lube is one thing that causes smoke with lead bullets, um, lead is the other! ;)

All kidding aside, the bullet you are using, what brand, what hardness and what size in what caliber?

Something that can add to smoke when you shoot lead is too small a bullet that is too hard that is pushed too light. In order for the lube to smoke, the "explosion" has to get to it. In a bullet that obturates properly, that just cannot happen much.

Obturate simply means to "seal off". A lead bullet has got to do that in order to reduce the amount of smoke and leading you are seeing. It is worse in bunny f**t loads. When bullets are purchased from a caster, you get what he has. Usually in the 15bhn area. That is fine for 99% of lead shooter's needs. Want to make a super light load that has light recoil? Sure, and why not, saves more money too BUT with that bullet, it is going to smoke more, more often than not.

What is your exact load with the W231? Please give caliber, bullet size, and OAL. Also, every firearm is an individual. Have you measured your cylinder throats? What about your bore?

If that bullet is too soft and you are pushing it too hard, you can have bad results too. I doubt that you are but, that can be a problem too.

Here is a 9mm that has that exact problem. How do I know? That is me shooting it! ;)
    (Click on it to watch)

And yes, the bullet were too hard, loaded too light, too small with W231/HP-38 (same exact powder)

:D

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    if you use carbonate dies, you don't lube, or at least not as often, maybe not at all. but for certain dies you need to rub the outside of the casing in a lube that allows the casing to function in and out of the die. This is where the lube would have come from. in case that answers your question about the lube. if you dont use lube, which im guessing you don't since you didn't know what it is. you probably have a bad bullet-to-powder ratio. switch powders and see if that fixes it. that is easier than playing with that ratio

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    if you use carbonate dies, you don't lube, or at least not as often, maybe not at all. but for certain dies you need to rub the outside of the casing in a lube that allows the casing to function in and out of the die. This is where the lube would have come from. in case that answers your question about the lube. if you dont use lube, which im guessing you don't since you didn't know what it is. you probably have a bad bullet-to-powder ratio. switch powders and see if that fixes it. that is easier than playing with that ratio

Where did you get from his post he was lubing as he was sizing? Even if he was, the case lube would not cause the smoke wintram is referring to.
    In fact, I've never seen lube smoke from the cases. If there was lube still on them cases, it'd have to be pretty heavy to smoke. Which should of been wiped off after sizing, if its that heavy.

What he's asking about, is the smoke coming out the end of his barrel.
    Which is caused by the burning off of the lube from cast bullets, which is used to stop potential leading of your barrell.
    The cast boolit lube puts a thin film on your barrel as the boolit travels down on its way out. This thin coating is then burnt off by your hot gasses from the powder and primer ignition....hence the smoke at the end of each shot.
    Bullet and powder ratio is not the answer to his question or the smoke period.

With cast boolits you're always going to have smoke, even with gas checked boolits. Depending on the lube that was used and how many lube grooves, will decide how much smoke is produced at the firing of each round.

Hence shooting jacketed or plated, you don't get the smoke he's asking about.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    try plated bullets from Rainier, or Berry's or Zero. The copper replaces the bullet lube and also keeps the flame front from vaporizing any of the lead. They are more money than "el cheapo" lead bullets, but shoot as clean as jacketed. If you buy plated bullets by the 1000, it is only a penny or two more per shot. The money is worth it. Good Luck

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    try plated bullets from Rainier, or Berry's or Zero. The copper replaces the bullet lube and also keeps the flame front from vaporizing any of the lead. They are more money than "el cheapo" lead bullets, but shoot as clean as jacketed. If you buy plated bullets by the 1000, it is only a penny or two more per shot. The money is worth it. Good Luck

Exactly. Also smokeless powder really isn't! Different powders do produce differing levels of smoke, flame and debris so it pays to try lots of powders for your specific application.

Top Bottom