• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    New to firearms and to the forum. Bought a Glock 23 in December and fully broke down the slide for the first time today. When I got the backplate off and removed the striker, I was surprised to find a great deal of lube/oil on both the inside of the backplate and on the back end of the striker. Just curious to get some more experienced opinions on oil in this area of the gun. I've been watching a ton of hickok45's videos on YouTube and he is vehement that there should not be any lube in this part of the slide.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VTIqAMPOco"]YouTube - Glock Cleaning 2 (Slide Disassembly)[/ame]

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the knowledge.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to INGO

What a great posting for your first INGO thread beevans...

You are very correct, there should be no oil or grease inside the striker housing on a Glock. The only place to lube the slide is on the hood where the barrel will touch when fired & the slide rails.

So many people over lubricate Glocks. This is the number one problem the Glock technicians at the factory have with guns that were sent in. It takes NO more than 6 tiny drops of oil/grease to properly lubricate a Glock pistol. Some people even think that the small hole in the top of the slide near the striker is an "Oil-It- Hole" ( wrong )...

Brownells sell some great wooden Q-tips that work perfectly to clean out the striker housing hole, the tech's at Glock go through cases of these...

TK

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    You're exactly right... thats a great video to watch on the subject. Keep oil out of there. As said above, don't over oil your glocks. I've got a glock 23 too. Nice choice

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Good on you for getting more familiar with your sidearm! I have a G23 that is my EDC. I know lube opinions are like a-holes around here, but I absolutely, totally, completely and utterly stand by Militec-1. A small (1 oz?) jar of it will last you for years and years.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What a great posting for your first INGO thread beevans...

You are very correct, there should be no oil or grease inside the striker housing on a Glock. The only place to lube the slide is on the hood where the barrel will touch when fired & the slide rails.

So many people over lubricate Glocks. This is the number one problem the Glock technicians at the factory have with guns that were sent in. It takes NO more than 6 tiny drops of oil/grease to properly lubricate a Glock pistol. Some people even think that the small hole in the top of the slide near the striker is an "Oil-It- Hole" ( wrong )...

Brownells sell some great wooden Q-tips that work perfectly to clean out the striker housing hole, the tech's at Glock go through cases of these...

TK

Very well said!
    G23 rocks!!! :rockwoot::D

Top Bottom