Disassembled guns for a deep clean....dirty!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I have had my Glock 26 for four years and I carry it all the time, as it is my primary CCW. I have never counted the number of rounds put through it, but it is probably 2k. On my list of things to do someday was to disassemble the slide for a thorough cleaning. I watched a YouTube video and went to work. I was really surprised at how dirty it was. The rest of the gun was nicely clean, but the firing pin and extractor were filthy. I would suggest that if you have never cleaned that part of the slide, and you have put a lot of rounds through it, give it a good cleaning.

I had bought two foreign military Taurus Model 82's a few years ago. I watched a video on taking it apart. In no time I had it stripped down to the individual parts. That was a deep clean. The outside of the revolvers were clean, but there was some rust deep down inside that I was able to remove. I guess the guns saw some rain in the past and cleaning the inside isn't much of an option to the average soldier/policemen. Kind of rewarding to break it down to the individual pieces and then get them back together again. Thank God for YouTube.
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That's a good candidate for a deep clean IMHO.

I have a Marlin Model 60 that I had to completely disassemble like that. It was filthy. I was ashamed of myself.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Had an old .22 single shot that probably hadn't had the bolt taken apart since it was made 80 years ago. 1/16th of an inch of carbon buildup under the extractor was the mysterious source of my misfires.

I can't imagine what the inside of my Ruger 10/22 looks like. I've never had the receiver opened up.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    YouTube is an amazing resource for this and many things. I do this kind of detail clean with my cap and ball revolvers frequently because of how easy and fun they are to take apart.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    That's a good candidate for a deep clean IMHO.

I have a Marlin Model 60 that I had to completely disassemble like that. It was filthy. I was ashamed of myself.

In your defense, that is a firearm you can shoot with minimal cleaning over the course of decades and it remain very reliable. I know this based upon personal experience, I've neglected one I've owned for over 30 years until a recent complete disassembly when it suddenly developed a failure to eject every now and then. After a thorough cleaning and appropriate lubrication, it once again fires like new and is ready for service until sometime in the year 2045....

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I tear guns down frequently! My cowboy guns get used hard and I run BP through them. I recently had to tear down a Winchester 190 (.22 rifle) My boss told me he was having issues. A 40+ yr old gun and never cleaned. I think he stored it in a sand box. Man it was filthy! My edc gets dirty in under the hammer from dust and lent. Needs to work when I need it to! Gotta keep them clean!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Great way to learn the ins and outs of a firearm and at the same time give it the good cleaning it deserves to keep it operating properly for years to come. A good cleaning/lubrication routine and a well maintained firearm will outlast generations and is something to be proud of. A properly cared for gun CAN fail, a neglected gin WILL fail.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The only time I've seen a Glock "disabled" was from the firing pin safety being overwhelmed with debris. The trigger pulled the slide out of battery because the FPS could not depress. Deep cleaning is good for anything once in a while..

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I like doing the same thing, especially to used guns that I don't know the round count on or that I've owned for a long time. It gives me a great opportunity to give them a refresh too. New recoil, main, and firing pin springs usually go in. As stated above, the Internet is a such a great resource that doing this isn't that freighting. I generally stay away from roll pins and I just have a punch set, some screwdrivers and small pliers.

Here's my S&W 3913.

smith%203913_zpsgiq6wdb2.jpg

The Sig P226 got new springs, the E2 grip kit, and a short (not SRT) trigger.

Sig226_zpsbouqfymy.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I tear guns down frequently! My cowboy guns get used hard and I run BP through them. I recently had to tear down a Winchester 190 (.22 rifle) My boss told me he was having issues. A 40+ yr old gun and never cleaned. I think he stored it in a sand box. Man it was filthy! My edc gets dirty in under the hammer from dust and lent. Needs to work when I need it to! Gotta keep them clean!
    Why does your gun get dirtier during lent than any other time of year?

Yes, I'm a smart ass!

Top Bottom