• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    $200 to $400 per hour I would guess there. A memorandum/letter is the way to get it memorialized.

I don't solicit and I don't know Hancock County.

You want a land use guy, especially one with range experience. Who is the county attorney there? May be the first choice to talk to.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Yeah u can look up one I was asking the same stuff with regards to Porter county and no one gave me any straight answers. I called the Valparaiso police the state police and the DNR and all of them just tried to avoid answering my question and telling me to call the other department. Never ended up knowing exactly what I could or could not do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doesn't really matter much as the hancock 300 ft rule would trump the 130 from a roadway anyways... Just puts a hole in the longer range I had planed... no worries though. Without a noise ordanance in the county, what could they get me on complaint wise that would prevent me from shooting there provided I am following the 300 foot rule?

Is that rule to apply to an occupied home such as a neighbor.
    I know a lot of people that shoot of their back decks and occasionally out a window.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would think it would apply only to a person in a residence willing to call and make a complaint... I doubt you will call and complain on yourself, so inapplicable by default. My house will be w/in 300 feet of his so apparently shooting from my garage will not be kosher either.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What does getting it memorialized mean?

Have it in writing. You know, why the Chinese invented writing so they didn't have to rely on Fan Kang Ren's memory all the time.:D

County attorney? Not sure what that is exactly. I assume you have no references for my area?

Every county in Indiana has a business lawyer--contracts, employment law, give advice to the County Commissioners ("can the county dig a ditch there?", "what about those old railroad tracks in Buck Creek?"), and focus on zoning, zoning and more zoning. They work for the County Commissioners. These attorneys, especially in smaller counties, have regular practices.

Here is the County Attorney for Tippecanoe County: http://www.hlblaw.com/attorneys/douglas-j-masson/

A former County Attorney is who I would call first.

If anyone is going to have shooting range experience in Hancock County, it may be a former county attorney (Sheriff's Department).

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    a google search didn't turn anything up that matched that description... If I called the zoning office and asked is that information that they would just provide? How else can I go about finding this person.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    a google search didn't turn anything up that matched that description... If I called the zoning office and asked is that information that they would just provide? How else can I go about finding this person.
    Call the County Clerk's office and tell them what your are looking for. They can get you to the correct person(s).

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    huh... I saw him, but dismissed him off the list of people to call because google maps had his "office" in a subdivision, and I figured anybody who works from home is probably not the person the county would use.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ray told me that he is the attorney for the county for these matters and it would be a conflict of interest. He was unable to refer me to anyone else that he thought would be well versed in both local and state law for this matter.... Lovely. All he told me to do was email the sheriff which no doubt will lead to an overly evasive answer. I did email him though so we will see.

Any other suggestions?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not to thread-jack, but just to clarify.
    It is illegal to shoot from, or across, a public road. Private roads/drives/lanes are not governed by these restrictions.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Ray told me that he is the attorney for the county for these matters and it would be a conflict of interest. He was unable to refer me to anyone else that he thought would be well versed in both local and state law for this matter.... Lovely. All he told me to do was email the sheriff which no doubt will lead to an overly evasive answer. I did email him though so we will see.

Any other suggestions?

Ask him who had the county attorney contract before he did....

Top Bottom