• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If departments want to hire idiots I guess it's on them. The only problem is the taxpayers end up picking up the tab when these lowest common denominator hires keep screwing up.

I would not be nearly so charitable. The reasons a private employer may have for hiring decisions is none of my concern. In the worst case scenario, I have the option to patronize his competitors. I don't have that option when the PD hires a bunch of stupid SOBs (on our dime) because they are better suited to being blind followers.

In the end, a private employer is answerable to himself in his hiring decisions expressed in terms of success or failure of his business. A public employer has a responsibility to the citizens from whom it forcibly extracts money to hire the best people for the job. The net result is that those making the hiring decisions need to be held accountable to the people who are paying the bill.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If departments want to hire idiots I guess it's on them. The only problem is the taxpayers end up picking up the tab when these lowest common denominator hires keep screwing up.

I suspect that if held up to civilians in other career fields, police officers of all stripes have as good, if not better, rates of job retention. Consider the numbers of police in Indiana alone (1500+ just in IMPD) and how many get fired for screwing up annually. Comparable sized companies probably lose more employees per annum due to misconduct than law enforcement agencies do.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I suspect that if held up to civilians in other career fields, police officers of all stripes have as good, if not better, rates of job retention. Consider the numbers of police in Indiana alone (1500+ just in IMPD) and how many get fired for screwing up annually. Comparable sized companies probably lose more employees per annum due to misconduct than law enforcement agencies do.

It's also much much easier to get rid of corporate employees that are 1.) not union and 2.) not government employees.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The handling of the Bisard matter speaks volumes of the extent that law enforcement protects their own.

It's also much much easier to get rid of corporate employees that are 1.) not union and 2.) not government employees.

The Bisard case doesn't say anything except that cops don't want to be railroaded out of their jobs because of office Politics (with a big 'P' in this case) any more than any other working guy. There've been a number of cops fired over the intervening period since Bisard's accident. Of course, those cops generally tend to make the news; while your everyday employee who gets fired for misconduct usually doesn't make the news.

And believe me, I've seen truly egregious cases of folks who haven't been fired when they should have been for various reasons -usually family connections - as well as a couple real doozies that involved unions AND folks who knew how to jimmy the Civil Service rules.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    The Bisard case doesn't say anything except that cops don't want to be railroaded out of their jobs because of office Politics (with a big 'P' in this case) any more than any other working guy. There've been a number of cops fired over the intervening period since Bisard's accident. Of course, those cops generally tend to make the news; while your everyday employee who gets fired for misconduct usually doesn't make the news.

Driving a city vehicle when drunk and killing someone isn't enough, because those responsible for enforcing the law, conveniently cover for each other under the guise of a mistake. So in this instance, its convenient to state that one has to be railroaded to lose their job.

Tell me, what percentage of employees within the private sector, also hold the public trust for its safety?

And believe me, I've seen truly egregious cases of folks who haven't been fired when they should have been for various reasons -usually family connections - as well as a couple real doozies that involved unions AND folks who knew how to jimmy the Civil Service rules.

Pardon me for not realizing that IMPD is not unionized, and we all know that they wouldn't jimmy the rules for civil service, because that would be just like committing a crime like intentionally botching a homicide investigation. But oh wait, yes they are unionized.

Its another big reason why Bisard wasn't terminated for all the past incidents that he was involved. It took him driving drunk in a city vehicle, but only this time killing someone.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That is why when you are desperate for a job you lie. Argued over and over with a friend that was looking for a job and he said McDonalds,BK, and Wendys would not hire him. I asked him what he put on his resume and of course he put down his actual qualifications.

I did this. I have a master's degree. I also had two resumes. One with the MSES, one without. ;) I'm not one to toot my own horn on my accomplishments (they just are what they are), but trying to make myself less intelligent/capable than I really am was hard work.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I did this. I have a master's degree. I also had two resumes. One with the MSES, one without. ;) I'm not one to toot my own horn on my accomplishments (they just are what they are), but trying to make myself less intelligent/capable than I really am was hard work.

That's funny, I have done the same thing. I have two resumes as well, I was applying for jobs that were interesting to me but I think I was falling victim to the 'overqualified' issue. That's silly when you think about it, if i'm applying for the job it interests me but lets look at someone less qualified for the position?? So now I have my resume with my masters and one with my doctoral work on it so I understand where you are coming from.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That's funny, I have done the same thing. I have two resumes as well, I was applying for jobs that were interesting to me but I think I was falling victim to the 'overqualified' issue. That's silly when you think about it, if i'm applying for the job it interests me but lets look at someone less qualified for the position?? So now I have my resume with my masters and one with my doctoral work on it so I understand where you are coming from.

Sad thing is that the only offers I ever got were from the dumbed-down resume. I solved the problem by becoming self-employed twice over. The pay is good but the boss is a *****.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I can make my resume look many different ways. I can emphasize some things over others. My life is much richer and much more complicated than can ever be described in the 1 - 4 pieces of paper than comprise my resume(s).

So, let's say I'm between jobs. I want to make my usual rate, but then I know that those jobs are few and far between at the moment. I'd like to make some money, however. I'm going to dumb down my resume a bit and make myself look like I'm the best guy for that particular job. If I make myself look like the best guy to fill the job of my boss's boss, I doubt I'll get hired. What idiot would hire me? I'm going to leave as soon as I find something better. That's the problem employers are trying to solve when they talk about people being overqualified. Those people take the job, get paid, look for another job, then leave. Not all of them, but enough of them to make it a legitimate problem.

I can understand why this is upsetting to all geniuses who frequent internet gun boards.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Some years ago, a co-worker and I went through IPD's driving course with a recruit class. As part of the final exam, we participated in a mock pursuit, chasing an instructor around a traffic-coned course (the SOB was sitting in the right front seat and driving with his left hand and foot). One of the more promising, intelligent recruits (so I was told), who had been outstanding in the class, rolled over a traffic cone during the pursuit. His instructor (keeping up the pressure) said: "you just ran over a little kid." The recruit resigned that evening. Too much imagination, apparently.

Sometimes you CAN be too smart for a particular job.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sad thing is that the only offers I ever got were from the dumbed-down resume. I solved the problem by becoming self-employed twice over. The pay is good but the boss is a *****.

I've heard that. I just hope she isn't a member on INGO.

:D

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I can make my resume look many different ways. I can emphasize some things over others. My life is much richer and much more complicated than can ever be described in the 1 - 4 pieces of paper than comprise my resume(s).

So, let's say I'm between jobs. I want to make my usual rate, but then I know that those jobs are few and far between at the moment. I'd like to make some money, however. I'm going to dumb down my resume a bit and make myself look like I'm the best guy for that particular job. If I make myself look like the best guy to fill the job of my boss's boss, I doubt I'll get hired. What idiot would hire me? I'm going to leave as soon as I find something better. That's the problem employers are trying to solve when they talk about people being overqualified. Those people take the job, get paid, look for another job, then leave. Not all of them, but enough of them to make it a legitimate problem.

I can understand why this is upsetting to all geniuses who frequent internet gun boards.

I am a genius and I am smarter than a boss's boss! Who in this day and age isn't going to leave if they find something better? There is no loyalty anymore between company and employee and vice versa like there used to be. If you want to hire some slug that can barely do the job because you are confident that they have little options outside of your company be my guest. No such thing as overqualified, just underpaid :)

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    ....the lady informed me that my only shortcomings were that I was over qualified. I had aced the test and they were looking for people who they could train to do the job and the math. They had hired people like me in the past and those people had only stayed around long enough to find something that challenged them more. She was right. I would have kept looking for a better job that paid more because this job obviously wasnt brain surgery and had a wage that represented that fact......but I needed a job. I dont think it was right but I can understand their position.

One of the best posts you will read today. Want to know why they don't want the sharpest tools in the shed? This is exactly why. Further, unlike this person's example, the police will spend a lot of money and time training this rookie (your tax dollars BTW), just to see the person leave the first chance they get for something that pays what they can get elsewhere.

It makes perfect sense why they don't want them. For those whining about it, you're lucky they are more gifted at selection criteria than are you.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I feel that insufficient emphasis is being placed on the importance of the position. This mindset would work quite nicely if we were looking for someone to clean toilets. It does not work so well with positions of public trust, especially while being turned loose with little direct supervision while armed and afforded latitude and unearned trust that a private sector employee will never have. The application of this thinking is why we have police officers who should be inmates and not police.

Top Bottom