• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    While getting my car serviced the other day I was setting in the lounge watching the news with two other people, also waiting on their cars.
    The news interupted and explained about the school shooting in Texas. The person next to me said he saw no reason that anyone needs an assault weapon. He went on to say that he was a gun owner and had two shotguns and one rifle. He said he used to hunt but could not anymore cause of his knees.
    I explained that it has nothing to do with the type of firearm, it is about the right itself. There is little difference in his shotgun or what he calls an assault weapon other than type or other mechanical issues. It is a rights issue and not a particular firearm.
    He does not belong to any organization. He contributes nothing to the NRA, Gun Owners of America, NMLRA or any other organization that really represents us. Regardless of personal feelings, they do represent us.
    He got up and walked away. The elderly lady setting there had not said a word. Then she asked "should I get a gun"? I said, that I feel that not only is it our right to own a firearm, but I feel it is a duty to own a firearm if you are not a criminal or prohibited by some other means from owning a firearm. She explained that she is now alone, as her husband passed away one year ago and that she is just worried about her own security.
    Pretty basic concept. She realizes she first has to take care of herself that any government agency simply can not get there or be there in time to take care of her better than she can take care of herself.
    I really wish I could be more convincing for folks to become a member of the NRA or some other rights organization. But at least this lady has her head on straight. I am also kind of tired of the free loaders who certainly enjoy the freedoms we have without any kind of support. Granted there are rights granted to us free by the constitution. But without organizations fighting the fight and making us aware these free rights would have been trampled years ago.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    In the situation of the old lady. It's not just if she should buy a gun. It's also if she is prepared to use it. NO point in spending the money if it just sits in a drawer and in a panic she doesn't even think to go for it.

In the case of the guy; he simply has his own compass as far as gun ownership is concerned.

I do not believe that money = speech. One of the biggest problems in politics today is that businesses and special interest has all politicians bought and paid for. I love what the NRA does for educating and training shooting enthusiasts. I hate that the NRA is basically speaking for the republican party in this new gun conversation.

PhilDeez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    What you could have done was offered to help the older lady pick out a gun that would suit her and give her some basic safety tips on how to use it. Most anti-gun people aren't scared of the fact of owning a gun, their scared of using a gun.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Only thing I can disagree with is your statement about the constitution granting us rights. It does not. It does recognize and enumerate some of our more important god given rights. Every human on the planet has those same rights. It's just a question of whether they're willing and able to fight for them. That's part of what makes our founding fathers such a unique and special group of people.

Snavelybob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    My wife was scared to death of guns, would tear up when I pulled out my paddle holster.. Beg me to hide it.........

Until one day!!! A SHADY NO GOOD THUG.. Knocked on my door, she watched in horror as he tried the handle, and pushed.

It was locked, but she called me in controlled hysteria and said " honey I have your pistol I'm in the bedroom, I'm where you told me to be 911 is on the phone. If the door opens ill dial and put the phone down just like we talked about.... I'm ok!! What position does the safety go up or down... She has her own. Trained and GOOD WITH HER SIDARM. Educated and knows her rights..

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Thank you, for brevity I did not say that she had talked to her son, who just retired from the military. He told her he would be glad to help her pick one out, teach her to use it and help her practice.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    While getting my car serviced the other day I was setting in the lounge watching the news with two other people, also waiting on their cars.
    The news interupted and explained about the school shooting in Texas. The person next to me said he saw no reason that anyone needs an assault weapon. He went on to say that he was a gun owner and had two shotguns and one rifle. He said he used to hunt but could not anymore cause of his knees.

-Snip-

The worst part about "Fudds" like this is if the day comes that the only guns legal guns left are "Fudd guns", he'll be going crazy telling US how we're supposed to join HIM in the fight to keep his "Fudd guns".

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Good job! Had he been able to continue the lady sitting there may have been convinced that guns are bad and have not considered buying one at that point. We'll never know but just that small thing that you did could have changed his mind after he left the room or could have saved her live sometime down the road. Or it might not make any difference in either one but at least you stood up for our rights, so good for you!

Top Bottom