• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    Van Buren
    I agree way to marked up on there prices tried to stop a friend 1 time he just had to buy a Sig there for his wife because thats where she had seen it. I tried to get him to wait and shop around he would not. 2 weeks later we were at a local shop and seen it for $150 less....OUCH

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I paid $90 too much for a particular $1000 revolver a couple years back. None of the warehouses had any, Smith had them on back order and Gander had one left. I paid the extra $90 because I wanted that exact model. GM made some extra because they had paid their money to have one in stock. I am ok with that.

It is not like the hospital where you have no idea of what something costs for several months. And when you pay off your bill at the hospital, they may wait several more months and send you more bills that they just got around to sending, so you never know if you owe money or not. At least Gander only overcharged me once per visit.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Gander's used guns are processed thru a central facility. And some moron sent a California gun to Indiana. Another time I saw a NYS Safe act AR in Gander mountain....

Not necessarily. Some come from other stores (where they're not selling) but most come into the store as used gun buys. We received CA compliant new guns so a used one isn't that surprising. There's a database they use to guesstimate the value of a particular used gun. If it's not in the database they're supposed to use a gun pricing guide or the internet to look up a value. Sometimes they pull a number out of thin air and hope the customer either goes for it or doesn't, depending on whether they wanted the gun or not. I had a customer that wanted twice what I could justify pricing his gun at to sell. No deal. He sold me his other gun though. Different stores are different but we usually tried to pay no more then 80% to get the gun. So a gun I wanted to sell for $149.99, I'd offer $90. Anything that didn't conform to their pricing structure throws the store on a "bad" list....

A good day to steal deals would be on their gun buying expo days....especially if the service is running at it's typical speed. Look for someone holding a gun and start talking to them. I saw it all the time.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Gander is craptacular for most things, but I do dig on their free-shipping-to-store since I live close enough to a GM to make it worthwhile. I've gotten 22LR ship-to-store within the past year at $0.04 a round. Their gun prices separate morons from their money (noted exceptions of course).

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As somebody who bought their first handgun from Don's Guns in 1984 because I was a novice and didn't really know what alternatives and prices were available to me, I see Gander Mountain as a business that caters to people who're much the same way I was when I didn't know any better.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    And some people simply want the convenience of walking into a nearby store and buying exactly what they want instead of running all over or buying online. I'm not that person, but there are plenty out there.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Went to GM Hobart around noon yesterday. Besides wife and I there were about three other people in the store. No .22 ammo of course. Seems to me if they lowered their margins on firearms the volume would cover the difference plus other stuff people would buy while there.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Gander or Cabela's are typically good places to shop for guns, but not to buy them. There are always exceptions. I bought my S&W MP15 from Gander a few years back for $699 during a sale.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Went to GM Hobart around noon yesterday. Besides wife and I there were about three other people in the store. No .22 ammo of course. Seems to me if they lowered their margins on firearms the volume would cover the difference plus other stuff people would buy while there.
    I don't think they have a volume problem. I buy a lot of non-gun stuff there and every time I'm there the gun counter is packed and people are buying stuff. If the guns weren't selling, they would lower the prices. The fact that they don't ought to tell you something.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And some people simply want the convenience of walking into a nearby store and buying exactly what they want instead of running all over or buying online. I'm not that person, but there are plenty out there.

If in fact Gander Mountain IS the closest gun shop this may be true for people to which money is no object.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    There's a balance between capitalism and ethics. Like in the picture someone posted above. That price on the RIA 1911 is predatory, and unethical.

They are hoping someone sees the price and assumes they are of good quality. And quick and dirty Google search on the brand will reveal that they are a solid 1911. I could see someone making a quick impulse buy.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ""Disgusted with what I just saw..... Gander Mtn strikes again""

In the spirit of recent INGO posts, why do you hate capitalism...?

I'm ALL for capitalism, but still disgusted by people who take advantage of people.

For example, my wife was widowed before I came along.
    In the state of mind she was in after the without warning death of her husband, she sold her late husband's guns for what the buyer said was a "good price".
    She got royally screwed over at a time when she had 3 young children to raise.
    That is capitalism, but it's not the kind I would've engaged in.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Against my better judgement, I once again decided to subject myself to a trip to Gander today. All I wanted was one of those little Caldwell Rock Jr. rests. Found the stack of them with $27.99 sticker on the shelf below. Sweet, right? So I grabbed one and took it to the gun counter just to have them check the price before I hauled it all the way up front. $49.99. I knew it was too good to be true.

Cabela's, Walmart, Midway, Amazon, all want $29.99. Gander and Dicks: $49.99.

More like a mountain of disappointment every time I go there. I don't know why I even bothered.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I went into a Gander once looked at some stuff I wanted and found the prices to be comical. I laughed all the way back to the truck and never been back since. Every once in awhile I will have a buddy or something say they got a deal on something there. No way I am going back in there!

No need to leave the arm chair these days. Often times get free shipping too.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, I'm with ya on that Sniper. At that price, I could have kept driving and went somewhere else 100 miles away, and the round trip including gas money would have still been cheaper. Ahh well, I guess there's no sense in complaining... I'll just vote with my wallet.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Got 2,000 small rifle primers at Gander a couple of weekends ago for $20 /1000. CCI brand. yeah, they really bent me over

Top Bottom