• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Our Central Air unit went out a few years ago. Its been sitting hooked up to the house til recently(we switched to window units for now).

I had thought about hauling it off to the local recycler but had heard there is a law that says they won't accept them anymore due to all the thefts happening a few years ago.

Couple questions...1) Will the recyclers still take them and 2) Whats the outdoor unit worth for scrap(if they will take them)? Would I need to separated the outer skin from the finned unit(condenser?).

If the answer is no, I'll just haul it to the dump and put it in their metal bin.
    Thanks,

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Hell around Indy you do not even to disconnect the unit from the home / building. Scrappers will do that for you. Unfortunately, sometimes they forget to ask for permission.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I don't know about Indy but down in Evansville all I had to do was show ID. I think I got a whopping $13 out of it.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If you take it to Kroots in Columbus, cut the coil and copper out and turn them in separately. That's how you will get the most out of it. You need to have the refrigerant pulled out of it before cutting the lines. I work in the HVAC field and living in Franklin, that's where I take my scrap from side work.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you take it to Kroots in Columbus, cut the coil and copper out and turn them in separately. That's how you will get the most out of it. You need to have the refrigerant pulled out of it before cutting the lines. I work in the HVAC field and living in Franklin, that's where I take my scrap from side work.
    +1, the best way is to separate the condenser coil from the rest of the metals. Otherwise you will likely be given "mixed metal scrap" rates or slightly above that, which basically means you get nothing. Turn it in as separate items and you'll get a lot more.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Thanks everyone. The unit vented it's freon years ago.

So so either separate it or don't bother. I do not have a receipt for a new one.

At Kroots, you won't need a receipt. I take loads of junk in there. Indy scrap yards are another story all together.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I will keep that in mind. I have a bunch of metal right now.. 6 brake rotors, old charcoal grill, an old helium tank, and then the AC unit. Plus the copper pipe from the run in tot he house for the AC.

Verls65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I took 4 into krootz last week... I didn't seperate the copper out (didn't take the time) you will be fine, they won't question ya.... (Although it is definitely worth taking the copper out if your trying to maximize your trip)
    on a side note.....there was an old mosin Behind the counter and I asked why? The feller told me they were raffling it off? The tickets were 10$ each and there were "free spaces in the board....he had sold 35 and still had 10-11 left....I wondered if it was legal, not sure?
    (But the guy made at least $350 for a $150 rifle!!)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I will keep that in mind. I have a bunch of metal right now.. 6 brake rotors, old charcoal grill, an old helium tank, and then the AC unit. Plus the copper pipe from the run in tot he house for the AC.

What's wrong with the helium tank? You're talking about a refillable gas cylinder right?

I may be interested in one...

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have almost a acre covered in old a/c ,furances,water heaters,trucks/van/bus and tons of other scrape........i'm hording waiting for the price to go up.....:)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Our Central Air unit went out a few years ago. Its been sitting hooked up to the house til recently(we switched to window units for now).

I had thought about hauling it off to the local recycler but had heard there is a law that says they won't accept them anymore due to all the thefts happening a few years ago.

Couple questions...1) Will the recyclers still take them and 2) Whats the outdoor unit worth for scrap(if they will take them)? Would I need to separated the outer skin from the finned unit(condenser?).

If the answer is no, I'll just haul it to the dump and put it in their metal bin.
    Thanks,

I'll take the fan out of it if you don't want it

Top Bottom