• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I just seen in another thread that someone was having trouble with a Century Arms AK-47. An INGO member was helping him out, and he also called it junk. :( A Century Arms AK-47 was going to be my next firearm purchase. Is anyone else having problems with these? I understand they are the low end of AK`s, and I dont want to waste my money as this will be my last firearm purchase for a good while. What do you guys think?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Try the long gun forum.

+1.. but on another note, if its a century Wasr 10 is the most bottom of the barrel AK you can get. Don't even waste your thought on one. Atlanticfirearms.com has M70's for sale for like $500 I believe. Much better than a wasr imo.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Depends on which "Century AK" you're talking about. The WASRs are known to have some issues (primarily cosmetic and QC related), while the M70AB1/2, Centurion 39 and Zastava PAP series seem to be pretty well regarded.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Let's take a good long look at Century, OK?

Century Arms is THE biggest importer of firearms in the USA period. Without them, we wouldn't have as many well priced, surplus military firearms available in the entire USA as a rule. They are also the folks who spend more time in DC trying to make importation easier so we can enjoy everything from surplus ammo to the arms that fire it at a reasonable price. They have single handedly kept the collecting of fine milsurps from becoming something a=only the rich are able to do. They also put out the most entry level (costwise) "Assault" rifles of any other importer/manufacturer. They are responsible for all those ridiculously low price kits, AK, G3, FAL, Belt Feds, and others, that we once enjoyed not all that long ago that many of us were able to put together into rifles we could actually afford without having to save for a year.

They no doubt have issues with the monkeys who assemble to rifles they sell complete though but those rifles also have original barrels a lot of the time, something you can't have on other maker's rifles due to the new kit regulations. People used to make fun and carp about the SAR line of Romanian built AK's they sold, now people are wanting them because the actually ARE quality verses what CAI is forced to sell these days due to the BATFE screwing things up and making it harder for the larger laces to put out good stuff at an easy to swallow price.

Century has been there for the working class for as long as firearms have been imported in bulk to be sold here in the USA. They should get some respect for all they've done for the shooter but I see only complaints. BTW, I have a WASR10 that is just as shootable as any I built or bought anywhere else. I am not so quick to dismiss on price alone nor will I dismiss a company like CAI simply because the internet has no idea what this company has done for all of us nor do they actually know other than what they've been told.

If you are just around the corner of where I am napping, let me know and we can meet up so you can try a WASR10 along with others at the tange, bring ammo and shoot my rifles all you want. I will clean them later on for you. LMK

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've dabbled several times in the CAI bag and came out ok so far. Main thing is to check out in person before buying. Two of my brothers have WASR-10's and they love them, they got them for $379 though so it made a little more sense back then.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've bought two WASRs. Both worked just fine. I still have one and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I thought I needed another one. Understand, if you buy a WASR, you're buying a basic serviceable rifle appropriate for rough usage, rather than a "collector's item" you can display without having some serious work done on it. As a starter AK or a "bugout" weapon, it should work just fine for you.

You might also keep in mind that most complaints about shoddy WASRs date from weapons built/sold prior to 2011. I don't know about others here, but I haven't heard of any recently-built WASRs which had the same problems that CAI was having a few years ago.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    If its a wasr check for canted sights and mag wobble. My first ak was a wasr and it had some mag wobble with steel magazines but still functioned flawlessly. When I switched to polymer mags the problem went away. The finish was rough but I bought mine for heavy use and I just rattle canned it flat black. Don't be afraid to pick one up especially if it's what you can afford just give it a good look over

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have had my problems with CAI, but I have to say my WASR is solid! If you can, handle one and check for mag wobble. I would buy another. that being said, of the surplus aks the yugos are my fav. If you could find a M70AB1/2 and it was a hair more I'd spend it. The PAPs seem good too, just havent ever handled one. I remember when the SAR 1/2/3 rifles were <$300, and as said earlier those used to be nothing real special.
    Good write up Warthog, its easy to forget the good stuff that Century has done for the gun community. Good luck with your purchase!

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Let's take a good long look at Century, OK?

Century Arms is THE biggest importer of firearms in the USA period. Without them, we wouldn't have as many well priced, surplus military firearms available in the entire USA as a rule. They are also the folks who spend more time in DC trying to make importation easier so we can enjoy everything from surplus ammo to the arms that fire it at a reasonable price. They have single handedly kept the collecting of fine milsurps from becoming something a=only the rich are able to do. They also put out the most entry level (costwise) "Assault" rifles of any other importer/manufacturer. They are responsible for all those ridiculously low price kits, AK, G3, FAL, Belt Feds, and others, that we once enjoyed not all that long ago that many of us were able to put together into rifles we could actually afford without having to save for a year.

They no doubt have issues with the monkeys who assemble to rifles they sell complete though but those rifles also have original barrels a lot of the time, something you can't have on other maker's rifles due to the new kit regulations. People used to make fun and carp about the SAR line of Romanian built AK's they sold, now people are wanting them because the actually ARE quality verses what CAI is forced to sell these days due to the BATFE screwing things up and making it harder for the larger laces to put out good stuff at an easy to swallow price.

Century has been there for the working class for as long as firearms have been imported in bulk to be sold here in the USA. They should get some respect for all they've done for the shooter but I see only complaints. BTW, I have a WASR10 that is just as shootable as any I built or bought anywhere else. I am not so quick to dismiss on price alone nor will I dismiss a company like CAI simply because the internet has no idea what this company has done for all of us nor do they actually know other than what they've been told.

If you are just around the corner of where I am napping, let me know and we can meet up so you can try a WASR10 along with others at the tange, bring ammo and shoot my rifles all you want. I will clean them later on for you. LMK

Great information brother. I've had 3 total Century rifles including a Cetme rifle on their stainless receiver, their L1A1 on an Imbel receiver and a WASR. All ran great. Guess I was just lucky.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Depends on which "Century AK" you're talking about. The WASRs are known to have some issues (primarily cosmetic and QC related), while the M70AB1/2, Centurion 39 and Zastava PAP series seem to be pretty well regarded.

The pap and Centurion rifles would be ok choices… I concur

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The issues with the WASR's are mostly in the past but since there are still many of the older ones out there, they retain a poor reputation. I am fine with that since it also keeps their price a bit lower too.

Top Bottom