Divorce, lawyer or do it yourself? No, it's no me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have a female acquaintance that has two young children. She believes that she can do the divorce herself with internet paper work to save money. I know this can work if you don't have children involved. But I think this is a bad idea with two young kids in the mix. What say you ingo?
    They own a home as well.
    Can anyone recommend a good divorce lawyer in the Evansville area?
    Thanks.

Again, this is not about me.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Depends upon whether it is amicable or not.

If they both want the divorce and agree on how everything is going to be split, she could do it herself.

If there is going to be a fight, she is better off with a lawyer.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

If they both want the divorce and agree on how everything is going to be split, she could do it herself.

This, my ex and I agreed on everything even split child custody. We just went to a lawyer and paid her $300 to write up the divorce contract or whatever you call it. Our lawyer mailed it to the judge to sign and that was that. Never even set foot in a court room, and it only cost me $150.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This, my ex and I agreed on everything even split child custody. We just went to a lawyer and paid her $300 to write up the divorce contract or whatever you call it. Our lawyer mailed it to the judge to sign and that was that. Never even set foot in a court room, and it only cost me $150.

This is definitely the exception and not the rule.

No way in hell I'd go through a divorce without a lawyer. Especially with custody of my kids on the line.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Kids, and own a home. Everything is amicable now, but just too much can go wrong now, can go wrong later, can just go wrong.

:yesway::yesway:

Went to a class reunion last summer... Amazing how many people were divorced and every divorce is weird in its own weird way.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    This is definitely the exception and not the rule.

No way in hell I'd go through a divorce without a lawyer. Especially with custody of my kids on the line.

I definitely know I was the exception, but If you do agree on everything, which practically never happens, you don't have to have a lawyer. If at any time during the whole process I thought my son would see me less than half the time I would have lawyered up.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For my second divorce I went to the library and bought a divorce packet for $50.00 I believe. Worked perfect and saved me from paying $200.00 per hour. With that being said, every situation is different and an attorney may be needed in her situation.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Significant shared assets - check
    children meaning child support & custody issues - check

Attorney - write the check

I also note you said "she thought" she could do it online, not "they thought" Maybe if cost is an issue they can do some form of arbitration and use a single attorney but that is probably trouble down the road.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Significant shared assets - check
    children meaning child support & custody issues - check

Attorney - write the check

I also note you said "she thought" she could do it online, not "they thought" Maybe if cost is an issue they can do some form of arbitration and use a single attorney but that is probably trouble down the road.

The trouble usually starts when a "New" partner comes into the mix.

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    I was lucky with my ex. Told her shoe could have all our stuff but I wanted my boy and she said yes. I filled my own petition within the week and three months later we were divorced and I have custody of my boy. There were a few things after that that could have gone bad but I am 9 years with no issues. I only went that route because I knew she would just sign the petition and didn't mind losing stuff. If she even thinks there can be problems then I agree with Churhmouse.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Two timer here also, first time paid a Attorney lots of money, LOTS.. No kids, only house and investments. She bought me out of the house.

Second time 20+ years of marriage , one kid in JHS..
    I thought wtf I'll be may own lawyer and I will save thousands.. Hell I've done this before.. Lots of Attorneys in my family, my two besties are Attorneys.
    I had help from my two friends, and I googled my ass off along with MD has a great website to help those who are stupid enough to go through it pro se.
    I owned a business, rental property, two farms and a bunch of toys..
    I had my paperwork in order when it came to money and holdings between us only because I had been through this myself..
    It's a hard hard road to go about it as your own lawyer.
    It took over four years for us to go through it all.. I had my son at every hearing and he witnessed the entire process, he fully understands his parents got divorced.. Not his parents and him..
    We were NOT amicable at all during the divorce and for about the next year or so. My ex did not fair that well in the end,. Paperwork is key....

Tell you friend the best thing I can tell her, is to decide WHAT TO DO WITH THE CHILDRED BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.. it's very important to do that first, after that it gets much easier..

It was a interesting process, between the Master and both of his clerks telling me my paperwork was impeccable to negotiations in the Masters Office, along with how it works in court.. Very enlightening and educational..

I would NOT do it again .. It hardens the heart..
    And I would not hire her attorney either, she was a poor investment for my ex.
    The Master openly spanked her in court, and with the help of my friends a guy with a HS education spanked her really hard with our divorce..

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Second that motion! When we divorced I pulled all the relevant paperwork (free) off the interwebz, filled it out, filed it, mailed it, etc. AS LONG AS IT'S AMICABLE! You'll still have to meet with the DA or rep and he will confirm that each of you agree to what is written and you'll also have to go to a class on how not to be an ******* around the kids and then freedom sets it! Cost a couple hundred bucks and it was all over. The DA meeting may be county specific but you do meet with a court representative to ensure everyone agrees to what is written.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Get a lawyer. I'm still dealing with my ex on custody now. Granted my situation is a lot different then most. Make sure you get a good one.

Top Bottom