DIY ~ a step-by-step on how to install your safe (pic heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach

Hey guys it just me link with another DIY project, this time I’m going to walk you trhough all of the steps it takes to install your own safe, with tons of pics..

Hope you like it..

Link

Step 1 clean out your safe

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643-1.jpg

IMG_0644-1.jpg

Your safe should have 4 holes pre drilled in the bottom of it

IMG_0645-1.jpg

IMG_0646-1.jpg

Now use a permanent marker and outline / trace the inside of the hole

IMG_0648.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Move the safe away and check your layout

IMG_0649.jpg

Get out drill & bits, I’m using a Milwaukee rotor hammer

IMG_0650.jpg

Verify your drill bit size, I’m using 5/8 lag bolts and thus takes a 5/8 bit

IMG_0651.jpg

Now you need to know how far you’re going to be drilling in the concrete, I just used a woden dowel, added the nut and washer on it and came up with the overall depth. Please note that you’ll want to drill your hole approx ½” deeper than the overall length.

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010

Put some tape on the bit so you know how far to drill down

IMG_0656.jpg

Ok so your floor is marked, you drill bit is maked and your got your eye and ears (check)

IMG_0657.jpg

Now its time for the drilling (no turning back here) just make sure that your drilling straight up (not at an angle) and go at it..

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

Now take out your shop vac and suck out the hole and clean your work area

IMG_0660.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010

This what you should have not, 4 nice and neat holes

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Remove your bottom cover to expose your metal bottom plate, I had to remove my electircial box too.. not a big deal

IMG_0663.jpg

Now it time to put the safe back, once you have it over the holes you can make your fine adjustment buy using a thick screwdriver and move the same left and right until all of the holes line up

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010

Once the holes are lined back up, reinstall you bottom and electrical if you have it

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Now get out your anchor bolts and a big heavy hammer and pund in the botls like so. FYI just srew the nuts down till there flush with the bolts and then pound them down.

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Once the bolts are all pounded in, it time to tighten things up, I used a torque wrench and tighten mine down to 90 pounds,

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Once everything is tight, not its time to remove the excess, I’m using my cutting wheel here, I’m also protecting the side and bottom with some cardboard and of course eye and ears gentlemen..

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

Now that your safe is bolted down, it time to put it back together and move on with life

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Well, there you have gentlemen, one safe scurely bolted down to the slab and some piece of mind..

I hope you find this information helpful..

Thanks for your time and have a great one

Link

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just a little advice from some one who installed Steel boxes called "Cash Management Systems". We used to install our safes with simalar anchors. A determined thief with a sledge hammer WILL knock your safe off of those bolts. Several of our systems were stolen in whole by simply slaming them with a sledge. After doing several tests on various types of anchors we setteled on an anchor that we used Epoxy to secure it to the floor. Those would not come off even when we slammed a fork lift into our Steel boxes, mad a mess out of them butthey did not break loose from the floor. I'll look around and see If I still have a couple laying around and post pix. I put two in my garage floor one time so I could use a come along to try to pull out some slight frame damage to a car my son wrecked one time, it held well.

IN1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    So many people will never do this. They think, it's too heavy to carry off....think about how you got it into your house...

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Interesting photos---thanks!!

I used the dowel system, as well as a marked bit when I drilled my holes into the concrete. I didn't have the luxury of moving it back and forth with marked holes. My safe empty weighs just shy of 1500 lbs., so once it was where I placed it, that was it. Epoxy is your friend also.:)

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Would it be a good ideal to put some green treded one by wood in between the concrete floor and the bottom of the safe so it does not rust?

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Just a little advice from some one who installed Steel boxes called "Cash Management Systems". We used to install our safes with simalar anchors. A determined thief with a sledge hammer WILL knock your safe off of those bolts. Several of our systems were stolen in whole by simply slaming them with a sledge. After doing several tests on various types of anchors we setteled on an anchor that we used Epoxy to secure it to the floor. Those would not come off even when we slammed a fork lift into our Steel boxes, mad a mess out of them butthey did not break loose from the floor. I'll look around and see If I still have a couple laying around and post pix. I put two in my garage floor one time so I could use a come along to try to pull out some slight frame damage to a car my son wrecked one time, it held well.

Did you work for Autovend... most recently known as AT Systems?

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Would it be a good ideal to put some green treded one by wood in between the concrete floor and the bottom of the safe so it does not rust?

Not much choice with a safe my size 54"x72"x30", as it stays on the 4x4's. I simply drilled completely through the 4x4's, and then deep into the concrete slab. If somebody wanted this thing, they'd have to take out the side of my house, and at least I can clean under and around it, yet it is securely fastened to the floor. It was quite a project, but if you take your time and plan out eveything, everything falls into place.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I missed the pics on how you opened the door :)

If you have a safe in the garage, should you have a heating pad to control temp and humidity? We may be getting a new house and I want to put the safe where it should be for 20 years.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I missed the pics on how you opened the door :)

If you have a safe in the garage, should you have a heating pad to control temp and humidity? We may be getting a new house and I want to put the safe where it should be for 20 years.

Here you would need it. He's in So. Cal. probably not a problem there.

Top Bottom