• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR Jan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Indy
    Decided to get started with fabricating my own holsters. This my first project: IWB for Bodyguard .380. All one piece. Material: Holstex .60 (knifekits.com) . Total material cost maybe $7.
    I made a paper pattern first, transferred it to the Holstex and cut the material with a Dremel. Then I heated areas of the Holstex with a heat gun to shape it around the gun (used hot pad to prevent burning my fingers). I used a polishing felt tip on my Dremel to smooth the edges. It "clicks" in and out of the holster just fine and feels okay to IWB appendix carry. Took maybe 1.5 hours to complete.
    Next time I will improve the placement of the mounting hardware. I look forward to improving my skills and pressing my next one. Fun!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      457.1 KB · Views: 34
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      488.4 KB · Views: 27

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Just a word of advice, kydex used as an attachment point will break over time. Especially using .06. If you're using this a carry gun I'd reccomended you use some form of injection molded attachment or .125 kydex. Depending on how in depth you plan on getting with this craft I could offer some more suggestions. Check out kydex pro.com for a wealth of information.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I see the mag release is exposed. You might want to think about the holster covering that so you don't accidently release the mag.

Meh. None of the Kydex holsters I've made nor any of the professionally made ones I've used have covered the mag release. I've not even seen one that did.

I want to be able to release the mag while the pistol is holstered (administrative reload, one handed reload, etc.).

All in all, for a first holster made without even using a press, I applaud the effort.

Here's the mag release on my EDC (M&P in a CompTac 2 O'clock) for example:

And my MTAC:

One I made:

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Meh. None of the Kydex holsters I've made nor any of the professionally made ones I've used have covered the mag release. I've not even seen one that did.

I want to be able to release the mag while the pistol is holstered (administrative reload, one handed reload, etc.).

All in all, for a first holster made without even using a press, I applaud the effort.

Here's the mag release on my EDC (M&P in a CompTac 2 O'clock) for example:

And my MTAC:

One I made:

Agreed. You're more likely to accidentally eject the mag with it covered because the dex is putting pressure on the release vs your skin having some give to it.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    FYI... My Crossbreed Super Tuck does cover the magazine release.
    I won't purchase an IWB hoslter that doesn't cover the release cause it will rust from your sweat. I guarantee it!!

I purchased a IWB from Alien Gear and it didn't cover the mag release and I sent it back after trying it out after two weeks because I noticed rust on the mag release.

I'd seriously consider covering the mag release.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    FYI... My Crossbreed Super Tuck does cover the magazine release.
    I won't purchase an IWB hoslter that doesn't cover the release cause it will rust from your sweat. I guarantee it!!

I purchased a IWB from Alien Gear and it didn't cover the mag release and I sent it back after trying it out after two weeks because I noticed rust on the mag release.

I'd seriously consider covering the mag release.
    Polymer doesn't rust. Pretty sure it's not the holster's fault.

Top Bottom