• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    There's been some discussion here on what it takes to get sights adjusted or installed. If you buy the sights, SOME places will install them. Many will not. And sometimes it depends on the brand of gun.

I had a couple of Kahr's that I wanted to put night sites on. And Kahr appears to be a brand that few want to touch. So I looked around for a sight tool. Brownell's had universal sight tools, starting at $120+ and heading upward into several hundred. :eek: I also talked to several folks that said, "I just whack it with punch and hammer." The instructions from Kahr start with "DO NOT whack it with a punch and hammer..." or something like that. I decided that I didn't want Bubba da Gunsmith doing that to my weapon. Maybe Bubba would be successful, but I didn't want to take the chance.

I continued looking around and bumped into Hand Gun Sight tool - Home - El Cajon, CA . For what smiths were wanting to charge for two guns, I could buy the tool. So I said, "what the heck" and gave it a try.

After I had ordered this tool, I bumped into IndyGunWorks here on INGO, and it sounds like he's got the setup to do sights, etc. If you only have one to do - or are concerned about marring the finish of your weapon - then I would suggest contacting someone like him.

This tool works exactly as advertised -and the so called "tough" sites were handled nicely. I refer you to the pictures on their website, since they are much better than mine - and mine showed nothing different. Just take your time and be careful, and it does a solid job. I wrapped my slides in cloth to avoid marring them. It gives you a nice setup to clamp the slide in place. Then you line up the "pusher" part of the apparatus and use a 3/4 inch wrench to turn it. As long as you are careful and take your time, it works like a champ. I now have night sites on both pistols and they are spot on. Top marks across the board for this tool - and it's half the price of anything else I saw. :yesway:

What's not to like about that?

Of course, if any of you are down South and want to check it out live, just PM me.

Hopefully this is helpful to anyone in the same boat that I was in.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    That looks like a farily universal tool. I like it, it has many of the features i look for. And even looks like it pushes on the base of the sight, not the post. Might have to pick one up for a rainy day fund in case my current pusher goes down.

Its the right price and made in the USA!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Yep - I liked two things in specific - 1) it pushed on the base and 2) the "pusher" part didn't twist. That was the big complaint everyone had with the $120+ beast at Brownell's. It basically "screwed in" to the sight - thus marring the finish. This pushes nicely without the surface of the pusher moving around. Add a 3/4 inch wrench and go for it!

One other suggestion if anyone uses this: clamp the base in a vise. I didn't do that, and was able to hold it down with my hands against the bench - but in hindsight I wished I would have clamped it in my bench vise. It REALLY would have been easy if I did that...

Oh yeah - and here's yet another thread for the DIY/ Gunsmithing forum, IGW!

Top Bottom