• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First, I do not advocate leaving a tumbler running unattended. Dont start a batch and head to the movies. :nono: Do check on them periodically because they get lonely spinning round and round without some occasional reassurances that you havent abandoned them. Their tears will corrupt your media.

I had one of these and re purposed it for running my tumbler on "set and forget".

Take one of these*:
    Shop Utilitech 15-Amp 2-Outlet Mechanical Residential Plug-In Countdown Lighting Timer at Lowes.com

And one of these:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/951458651/CocoSharpie.jpg

Use the latter to color over the top of the photocell. I guess you could also use some black liquid electrical tape. (Anything that makes it think it is ALWAYS dark) You now have a timer that will turn on and run your device for 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours.

I can now start a batch for 2 hours and walk away, checking periodically without having to remember when I started it. So far on the few loads Ive tumbled, 2 hours seems about right.

*Actually, I have an old equivalent from intermatic (HB51R) with the eye under the plastic knob. But I drilled out a spot on the knob so I could get to it and glued the plastic from a discarded clamshell pack to cover the now unwanted hole)

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That's a great Idea CM

I use a dial type 24 hour timer. I pulled the green start pin completely off of the unit and put it in a drawer. I only use the red stop pin. I also added use of the sharpie by drawing a line where to stop turning the dial.

Yours is able to run two devices. I have two wet and two dry tumblers that I run two at the same time, or maybe the wet and dehydrator the dry brass at the same time.

Ima gon get me one of dem bad boys.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's a great Idea CM

I use a dial type 24 hour timer. I pulled the green start pin completely off of the unit and put it in a drawer. I only use the red stop pin. I also added use of the sharpie by drawing a line where to stop turning the dial.

Yours is able to run two devices. I have two wet and two dry tumblers that I run two at the same time, or maybe the wet and dehydrator the dry brass at the same time.

Ima gon get me one of dem bad boys.

Hell, at only $10 each, you can afford to get one for each device.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I always thought it was a requirement when cobbling together projects, that duct tape or electrical tape be used on the photo cell. :) I use a x10 appliance module I had, in conjunction with a old X10 controller.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I always thought it was a requirement when cobbling together projects, that duct tape or electrical tape be used on the photo cell. :) I use a x10 appliance module I had, in conjunction with a old X10 controller.

my model didnt have enough clearance under the knob to use tape. But the current model doesnt have that problem. So duct tape is an acceptable solution. I'll also accept electrical tape since it is an electrical device. :):

I briefly considered drilling out the sensor. But I wasnt sure if the circuit was looking for electricity or lack thereof from the photcell, and couldnt get it apart to tell because it is cemented closed. Its my luck that disconnecting the photocell would make it think it is always daytime and kill the device. I *THINK* drilling/disconnecting the photocell is safe. If somebody wants to risk their $11 please report back.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't worry about it, I just start it and leave it.

Guilty as well.

Same here. Thumbler's Tumbler are designed for rock tumbling and to tumble rocks, they run for weeks at a time. I'm not too worried about letting mine run for 2 or 3 hours at a stretch.

But, it's a pretty cool idea for those that want a timed run.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Had a neighbor leave his grill on to burn the rack clean. Remembered it about three days later.

I was hooked up to NG that that kinda sucked for him.

I like to keep it simple for me and a timer helps me to not have to keep track of the time.

I am easily distracted sometimes...... Now what were we talking about :dunno:

Tater22LR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Columbus Area
    Never gave it much thought about timing them. I put the tumbler in the basement or garage. I walk past it multiple times on a weekend. Little risk of setting and forgetting. Awesome idea though.

Top Bottom