DNR clarifies rifles allowed-and it's great!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    This is a test period, therefore the limit of calibers.
    It's not just about guns, it's also people management..........and some are not deer hunters.

Incremental approach...........probably why it passed.

My question is whether or not the newly legalized rifles will be allowed during the youth season and late antlerless season? Currently youth can use any legal weapon except handguns during the youth season. While I may be completely wrong...the way I read the bill was that this was limited to the firearms season ONLY....per the letter of the Law.

Last edited:

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to form some 7-08 ammo out of 308 cases and put a sticker over the caliber designation and hunt

They should have consulted a gun guy before showing how clueless they are

Then you'll be breaking the law as you can only shoot a .243" or .308" diameter bullet. A .284" bullet is a no-go.

Ill agree on the 2nd part tho...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My question is whether or not the newly legalized rifles will be allowed during the youth season and late antlerless season? Currently youth can use any legal weapon except handguns during the youth season. While I may be completely wrong...the way I read the bill was that this was limited to the firearms season ONLY....per the letter of the Law.

Good question. Indeed it says "firearm season".
    IMHO the DNR will have to make the call on allowing the new rigs for youth season (ahead of the standard "firearm season").
    Since the effects legally start in June.........it could happen.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    "Rifles• Rifles must have an overall minimum length of 26 inches with a 16 inch minimum barrellength unless the user has a federal license to possess a “short-barreled” rifle.17It is illegal to:• hunt deer with any center-fire rifle less than .22 caliber, any rimfire rifle or air gun."

This is how Wisconsin regulates the use of rifles for deer hunting. Makes much more sense to me, but we can't have legislators looking at other states experiences and saving time and head ache because we might want to cut their pay or ask them to deal with actual issues.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    Hookeye has it right. Its a test period...
    Legislators in favor of hunters, and gun sales want it to be a success, (limited to guns in 5 specific calibers)
    DNR wants it to fail, and opened it up to the loosest interpretation of the law. Because the bill did not include the "win" and Springfield, designation on the cartridges.
    Although it could be argued that 30-30 and 30-06 really don't need a suffix to be clearly understood.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Have to agree as well. This is a big win for those who want to use centerfire rifles. Even though there are some restrictions and some calibers that probably should not be included, there is plenty to be happy about. For those opposed of the use of centerfire rifles, they don't have to use them.

Using other states as examples of how to write your laws and regulations is not always the best idea. Just like speed limits differ from state to state and so do gun laws, each state has to decide what is best for their state. If Indiana had more big game to hunt such as elk & bear, we would probably already have centerfire rifles. We also are not allowed to bait unlike other states are. I am ok with it.

Kind of a shame they gave us caliber options which I already have. Don't have a good excuse to give my wife on why I need a new rifle. Just gonna have to use what I have in the past, it was a great deal, it was on sale, this one is much better in this type of situation, etc.....

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Legislators in favor of hunters, and gun sales want it to be a success, (limited to guns in 5 specific calibers)
    DNR wants it to fail, and opened it up to the loosest interpretation of the law. Because the bill did not include the "win" and Springfield, designation on the cartridges.
    Although it could be argued that 30-30 and 30-06 really don't need a suffix to be clearly understood.

I don't see or hear anything that would state the DNR wants it to succeed or fail. They may not like how it got pushed through the improper line of procedure for most game laws...but you have to remember it was the DNR that brought up inclusion of HPRs just a year ago before public input haulted that.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just because the DNR brought it up a yr ago...that might have been a bone on a string (look like they are wanting to give you something, but not).
    Politics.
    The law was passed, proper procedure, just not the DNR route.
    Not trusting of anybody, agency or other.
    If you're a HP rifle fan, be glad you got something.
    Don't like the rules? Don't use a HP rifle. If you want to run a 6.8 SPC or .270 win, fine, take your whiny arse someplace else.
    Kind of tired of the BS really.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's a test period. Monitor data- sure.
    How that will be leveraged when the time limit is up? Is it really a test period or was that some language to get folks to swallow it? Dunno, don't care.
    Who knows with politicians.
    A few accidents, esp right before the expiration date............depends on how Tully and crew spew the carnage (will they have worn out the gay wedding cake nonsense by then?).
    No accidents, should open up at end of "test period". Maybe even sooner.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I don't foresee them (DNR or legislatures) removing options...only adding. Just like I don't foresee them every shortening or removing firearm season from where it is. I'm a bowhunter and even I don't foresee or necessarily desire this, don't believe it'd be right. I agree though so sick of the whining and complaining by those about .270 or 6.8 or whatever else...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I don't know about the DNR's motivations, but it is very clear that the law, as written, did not intend to open it up to all .24 and all .30 rifles....though I have no issue with that result.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I don't know about the DNR's motivations, but it is very clear that the law, as written, did not intend to open it up to all .24 and all .30 rifles....though I have no issue with that result.

Their clarification was a must because of the things we've read just in this very thread of guys already talking about re head stamping and all that BS. They knew the way the law was written folks out there with say a .300 Winchester Short Mag would use...as would a .300 winmag or a blackout....they simply were getting ahead of the game when the legislatures did not word the bill correctly, showing their "naivety" to what they were writing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was the clarification to stop some from being sneaky?
    Or was it to make enforcement easier?

Or was it none of that and just another political step............"test period" & limited listing of cartridges.............helping to smooth some ruffled feathers?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .24 and .30 cals, min 1.16"

they should have worded it that way from the start.

Doing it the way they did, by pseudo naming only 5 cartridges, were they being stupid or were some politicians gaming a few of their own?
    Could be the latter..............seeing as what the DNR "clarified".

If so, give your rep some summer sausage after gun season.

Probably nobody really gave a flip about what cartridges were legal, but had to give the impression they did...........and by letting the DNR clarify past the supposed 5 listed, that gets those who complain off their backs.

Neither the legislature or DNR has to take the full hit on this new law.
    Complaints can be kicked from one to the other until folks get tired of it and just shut up.

Sounds like the politicians know people very well IMHO.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Well then, p*ss on Indiana and hunt only in Wisconsin.

Or maybe Indiana regulators should get their collective heads out of their posteriors and simply look around to neighboring states that have had successful rifle hunting for generations rather than passing inane laws that make zero sense and spending countless amounts of money and more in the future trying to clean up idiotic rules?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Or maybe Indiana regulators should get their collective heads out of their posteriors and simply look around to neighboring states that have had successful rifle hunting for generations rather than passing inane laws that make zero sense and spending countless amounts of money and more in the future trying to clean up idiotic rules?

When this bill was introduced, it was .243" and up, but the bill was going to fail the Senate vote, so the conferees did what they had to to get it passed -- they chose five common cartridges. Somehow the final bill was written with no actual cartridge names, so the DNR had no choice but to legalize all cartridges that utilize .243" and .308" bullets.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When this bill was introduced, it was .243" and up, but the bill was going to fail the Senate vote, so the conferees did what they had to to get it passed -- they chose five common cartridges. Somehow the final bill was written with no actual cartridge names, so the DNR had no choice but to legalize all cartridges that utilize .243" and .308" bullets.

But the 7.62x39 and the x54r both CAN use bullets of a diameter larger than .308.
    Actually .310" up to .312" respectively.
    Because of this, and the comment stating, "...there are other cartridges that meet the new requirements...", I have emailed the DNR asking for further clarification.
    Basically I just asked where I could find a full, comprehensive list of ALL legal cartridges.

I have yet to hear back.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    They can't provide a full list, as there are probably infinite wildcat possibilities using .243" and .308" bullets, nor do they want to miss some obscure cartridge. They simply added the "other cartridges" phrase as a catch-all. Yes, they screwed up when listing the 7.62X39 and 7.62X54, as they were thinking that those two and the .308 Win are called 7.62MM, even though they do not use the same bullets.

Top Bottom