DNR Proposal for .243 and up rifle for deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kentucky is VERY similar to Indiana in terrain and population density, yet magically blood doesn't run in the streets and dozens aren't killed every fall due to stray bullets. Missouri also has a similar make up (north is flat, south is hills) and it is the same story. Pennsylvania has large areas of flat, agricultural land and rifles ....again, everything is just fine. Much of Michigan's rifle zones, same thing. Why is it that some believe Indiana is located in this strange vortex of danger when rifles are introduced, and that we are so very different from many of our neighbors?

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    What you guys fail to understand is that caliber has NO bearing on incidents such as this. It'll happen with whatever the idiot has in his grubby paws. At least a high-powered rifle round will probably not "bust brush" like a heavy shotgun slug. Heck, maybe we had better ban the .22LR for squirrel hunting while we are at it:

The caliber had everything to do with those shots, in my circumstance. They probably would have never attempted that shot with a slug gun.

I am not saying do not use them. I personally think that it would lead to longer shots being taken, which in some circumstances would lead to more risks.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Yes, I remember. In fact, I saved one of his comments from all those years ago on my hard drive for future reference:

I have been very careful in my presentation of these issues to the public, which includes all aspects of government, social organizations and individuals at large. Having said that, I don't believe it is inappropriate to simply ask homeowner associations, various governmental agencies and various influential individuals if they think that rifles, especially those will multiple round capability, should be allowed throughout Indiana, without concern for population density, landscape environment and general demographics. To simply ask them if they believe it is appropriate or if they would support the introduction of these rifles to be used for deer hunting, to be used in the woodlots next to their homes, potentially by youth under the age of 15 years old, is not an unfair question.

YEP... that is the very one..

The first "real hunter" person was one that tried to waylay PCRs by trying to get others to go for full centerfires at that time.... That didn't work either..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Kentucky is VERY similar to Indiana in terrain and population density, yet magically blood doesn't run in the streets and dozens aren't killed every fall due to stray bullets. Missouri also has a similar make up (north is flat, south is hills) and it is the same story. Pennsylvania has large areas of flat, agricultural land and rifles ....again, everything is just fine. Much of Michigan's rifle zones, same thing. Why is it that some believe Indiana is located in this strange vortex of danger when rifles are introduced, and that we are so very different from many of our neighbors?
    ^^^^
    THIS

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I just built a .450 Bushmaster to increase my range and options, but either way I hope they open up firearms to rifles. I would really enjoy hunting with a variety of my rifles. A .243 with a youth stock would be great for kids too.

Seems to be a lot of passionate opinions on this point.

Any update on the proposal Willie?

:popcorn:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The same reason that we were one of the last two states in the country to observe daylight savings time. The same reason we can't buy cars on Sunday, or liquor?

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Lmao, every time this thread pops up, I start out laughing, then end up with a headache. There are a bunch of you guys that probably need to worry about dying from stress and blood pressure instead of CF bullets..... It would be nice for my kids to hunt with a low recoil rifle round.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lmao, every time this thread pops up, I start out laughing, then end up with a headache. There are a bunch of you guys that probably need to worry about dying from stress and blood pressure instead of CF bullets..... It would be nice for my kids to hunt with a low recoil rifle round.

What about the .410 slug? I thought that was the answer to the children deer hunting problem?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I am not sure how I feel about this on public land... there have been times (in ohio but still) that on public land when the sun comes up I could see 15 orange vests from where I had been sitting since 4 am. and then when deer start moving its a freakin volley w/ 5 or 6 guys taking four or five shots each. Not so sure I would want to be in the woods if those rounds were a bunch of 300WM's flying all around.
    I've been shot at sooo many freakin times on public land by all the idiots that don't know the first thing about gun safety yet they gonna go get dem a deer !!! Huh huh!
    A slug is as ****ing accurate as a rifle so it doesn't really matter if they change the law or not. If someone acts like a dumbass then lock them up or take away their right to hunt. Don't mother**** all the rest of us because of the dumbasses.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    ^^^ LMFAO
    A funny and I'm sure true post right here lol. Thanks for the good laugh

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

Yeah, that .357 magnum rifle is a thumper.

Top Bottom