Do empty rear sight screw holes weaken barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Do i need to put a plug or screw into these holes for strength? They are fairly deep and closer to the chamber than i would have put them, but i figure Big Green knows what they're doing. But with the sight removed I've changed the equation minutely. So will these empty spots be weaker empty than with a screw in them?????

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I do not believe the screw holes for the sight would be structural. Making something critical to the chamber/barrel something a user could remove or change wouldn't make sense.

Which kind of plays back to the question...what would you plug them with that would be acceptable for chamber pressure? What would the next person do? Too many options and possible bad outcomes to make that a design decision.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. My T/C Encore in 300 WSM has 6 holes directly over the chamber and has not blown out a hole yet. There is less than .125" between the bottom of the hole and the chamber wall.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not really an issue. I always fill then. Brownell's sells properly sized screws that fill the holes and have just enough head that they do not screw in below flush. They keep crap and rust from growing in the holes, especially if someone in the future ever needs to mount a sight again. Plus, if it makes you feel better, we can say they add an extra layer of protection. :):

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Do i need to put a plug or screw into these holes for strength? They are fairly deep and closer to the chamber than i would have put them, but i figure Big Green knows what they're doing. But with the sight removed I've changed the equation minutely. So will these empty spots be weaker empty than with a screw in them?????

Like you, I have often wondered the same thing. I have never had a blow out through one though. Like Leo, I put a screw in to keep crap and rust out of the hole.

Top Bottom