• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Been thinking about trying to get a suppressor. I have a question though. I've got an M&P 22, an M&P 15-22, and planning on an AR15 in 5.56/.223. Will the same suppressor work on all guns or do I need different ones for rimfire vs. centerfire.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The rifles could share a 556 suppressor, but on the handgun it would be uncomfortable at best, and not cycle correctly at worse. I would up buying a 9mm suppressor so I could shoot it on my handguns and my 22LR rifles, and I intended to build a subsonic 300BLK AR (can also be used with my Guardian 9) but I ultimately bought a JR Carbine in 9mm to use with it.

blink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    The rifles could share a 556 suppressor, but on the handgun it would be uncomfortable at best, and not cycle correctly at worse. I would up buying a 9mm suppressor so I could shoot it on my handguns and my 22LR rifles, and I intended to build a subsonic 300BLK AR (can also be used with my Guardian 9) but I ultimately bought a JR Carbine in 9mm to use with it.

Not 100% sure I completely understand. A 5.56 suppressor will work on the 3 guns I mentioned? I also do have a couple of 9mm pistols M&P full size and the Shield. Are you saying that if I get a suppressor for the 9mm's it will work on all 5 guns (M&P 22, M&P15-22, 9mm full size, 9mm Shield, and an AR in 5.56/.223? Would suppression be diminished on the .22's if I went wit a suppressor for the larger caliber?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The 223/556 will suppress 22lr, but the pistol may not cycle, and it will be very heavy on the pistol. A larger suppressor, such as a 9mm, will suppress the 22lr as well (not quite as well as a 22 suppressor, but still good) but MOST 9mm suppressors are not rated for 223/556, since it is a rifle round and has much higher pressures. Since you dont already have the 223/556, if you went with a 9mm rifle or a 300 BLK rifle, you could use your 9mm suppressor on it. The 300 BLK would likely have to be subsonic though, because full power loads would generate to much pressure.

Clear as mud? Generally a larger suppressor can shoot any smaller round, but handgun suppressors shouldnt be used on rifle rounds unless the manufacturer has rated it for that caliber.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    The 223/556 will suppress 22lr, but the pistol may not cycle, and it will be very heavy on the pistol. A larger suppressor, such as a 9mm, will suppress the 22lr as well (not quite as well as a 22 suppressor, but still good) but MOST 9mm suppressors are not rated for 223/556, since it is a rifle round and has much higher pressures. Since you dont already have the 223/556, if you went with a 9mm rifle or a 300 BLK rifle, you could use your 9mm suppressor on it. The 300 BLK would likely have to be subsonic though, because full power loads would generate to much pressure.

Clear as mud? Generally a larger suppressor can shoot any smaller round, but handgun suppressors shouldnt be used on rifle rounds unless the manufacturer has rated it for that caliber.

I second this and he is clear as mud.
    9mm suppressor - good on all 9mm, good on anything smaller not high pressure, including your .22. High pressure rounds like 5.56 are ill advised to travel through it.

5.56 suppressor - good on all 5.56/.223 and anything smaller, such as .22lr. NOT for 9mm as the hole is too small.

Basically, each can has two things.
    1. Anything smaller than the specific round can travel through it and be suppressed
    2. Anything rated below the pressure the round develops can travel through it safely.

so a .45 can can cover anything .45 or smaller without greatly larger pressures
    a 5.56 can can cover .223 or smaller at most any pressure

edit: as well, he is right as the 5.56 can would work on .22 but on a .22 pistol would be very heavy. A 9mm can on a .22 pistol isn't much weight added.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If you are truly looking for a do-it-all can, the Liberty Mystic is rated for .223 (16" barrel with mild firing schedule), 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 300 BLK, most 9mm and below pistol cartridges, and even .308 WIN subsonic. It can be taken apart to clean (important if you are shooting .22LR) and it's not too heavy to use on a larger rimfire pistol (14 or so oz with a threaded adapter). My brother-in-law has one, and it's really nice.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a dedicated small, light .22LR can, a .30 cal rifle can, and a pistol can.

Top Bottom