• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No other lawyer in his right mind would either. Morality aside, there's no money in it.

What lawyer took the case suing Kroger and the manager for the security guard who had emotional trauma from having her life saved?

30 seconds with Google showed these as well:

What laywer took this one:
    Meth addict accused in burglary sues 90-year-old homeowner shot in jaw | Fox News

Or Bodine v. Enterprise High School, where a burglar sued for falling through a sky light.

Accused Burglar Sues Homeowner Who Shot Him

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    In response to the OP's original question, you don't need a lawyer on speed dial but it's not a bad idea to pave the way. I have a friend who is a lawyer, he used to be the county prosecutor. When I decided to start carrying I gave him a call and asked if there was someone he would recommend if I ever needed a lawyer if I were involved in a shooting incident. He said that I should just call him and he would get the right people involved.

As long as we follow the law and don't make any bad choices the odds of NEEDING a lawyer are slim.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Your daughter being attacked, and some young adult male who is getting his head kicked in because he deserves it (as in the example offered in the thread), are two completely different scenarios that would require two completely different evaluations.

With that said, it would be prudent to stay out of any and all situations that do not require your intervention.

Just because a female is getting "attacked" doesn't automatically mean that the female is the victim. Plenty of female drug addicts and gang bangers who can be just as dangerous as a male. I wouldn't just stand there, but my intervention would likely be some yelling while calling 911. There is no way to know if the female is really a victim, or maybe an offender who just tried to rob the wrong person, or take her child where a court granted custody to someone else, etc.. If it doesn't involve family or friends, the limits of my intervention are calling the cops, maybe yelling from afar. I can't take care of my family if I'm in jail for shooting a guy who is trying to keep his drug addicted ex from taking the kids, or from some addict who just tried to rob the guy.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A lot going on here...

Further reading of the code goes on to talk about these scenarios... The code has the words "prevent" and "prevent or terminate"

It also talks about a person who is defending him/herself and continues fighting after the aggressor has withdrawn or attempted to withdraw from the fight now becomes the perpetrator if the person who was initially acting in self-defense does not stop.

The law does not allow the person engaged in self defense to continue to "give him/her what he/she deserves" if the initial aggressor has withdrawn or has attempted to withdraw.

Tables turn in fights and things can happen very quickly and the aggressor can just as quickly become the victim. Knowing when to stop is every bit as important as knowing when to engage.

indy77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Some on here say there is no need for a lawyer's number and not on speed dial, BUT I feel that having a number just in case wouldn't be a bad idea. One never knows. I have never had the need for a lawyer (divorce lawyers don't count) but being prepared never hurt anything.
    Armed Citizen legal defense network was some good reading also, thanks for that site.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    In my 26 years of making a livelihood and supporting my family by representing injured people in civil law suits, I've never taken a case where a perpetrator sued a victim for shooting him. I wouldn't think of it. No other lawyer in his right mind would either. Morality aside, there's no money in it.

Read BBI's post above. We have no idea what you do for a living but, if you are truly involved in the legal system, you would already have known that there is no shortage of "ambulance chasing" attorneys who can't wait to litigate civilly against anyone involved in such a situation if they have assets that can be converted. It happens almost every time. That's reality.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Just because a female is getting "attacked" doesn't automatically mean that the female is the victim. Plenty of female drug addicts and gang bangers who can be just as dangerous as a male. I wouldn't just stand there, but my intervention would likely be some yelling while calling 911. There is no way to know if the female is really a victim, or maybe an offender who just tried to rob the wrong person, or take her child where a court granted custody to someone else, etc.. If it doesn't involve family or friends, the limits of my intervention are calling the cops, maybe yelling from afar. I can't take care of my family if I'm in jail for shooting a guy who is trying to keep his drug addicted ex from taking the kids, or from some addict who just tried to rob the guy.

Did I say that the female is automatically the victim, or did I say that each situation requires its own evaluation? Go back and browse the post again.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    There's a certain comfort in knowing that you have a lawyer who will advise you before you make a formal statement. I know I was real happy to have an experienced attorney I could call immediately. After a serious event is no time to start lawyer shopping, and the cavalier "I'll just stay the night in jail" crowd, well, after going through something as nerve wracking as killing another human being I think you'll find you'd be much more comfortable around friends and family than a bunch of random arrestees. I forget where I read it it, but surviving the fatal encounter starts your second survival challenge, dealing with the aftermath both legally and emotionally.

The "don't say anything" crowd will get you screwed. Give a brief rundown of what happened. You don't have to go into great detail, but where people were standing, where they came from, etc can all assist in locating and preserving evidence that is going to help prove your side of events. Ask the various liquor store clerks that shot robbers in Indy last year. If its a good shoot, its pretty simple to explain it and go home. The trick is you better know up front what's a good shoot and what isn't, and if you don't know that then leave your gun at home in a locked container until you do.

To add something you didn't ask, if you have a significant amount of assets that a civil lawsuit could wipe out, you may want to take a look at an umbrella insurance policy. For roughly $200 a year you can get $2m in liability coverage. Its one of those things that not everyone needs, but can save a lifetime of hard work if you do.

^^^^^ this is very good advice.

Top Bottom