Do you buy firearms you don't intend on shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Nope

I am a shooter. My rule of thumb is if it has not been shot in a year it gets gone.

Out with the old in with the new. When a new one comes in out goes an old one.

The if you haven't shot it in a year rule sounds pretty good for most things, but there is no way I'm getting rid of something every time I get something new! NO WAY!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I shoot everything I get (although I have 3 that are just waiting for me to get to the range). For me, it's no fun just having one to look at, although I do enjoy looking at the ones I have. :): I did buy one old shotgun that I never shot, simply because 1) it needed some work to the hammers, and 2) I would have had to load my own black powder shells and just didn't want to do that for just one gun.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I think I fall into all of these categories.

I have bought some because the price was to good to pass up. I do shoot them before they get packed away though.
    I have some that have sentimental value that have not been shot in 10-20 years but would never part with them.
    I have some that have come from my father that have not been shot in 10-20 years and would have a hard time parting with.

So i guess the answer is I have shot everything in the safe but different guns get different love. Some get hard working trigger love others get gentle fond memory love.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I have shooter's and a handful of speculation pieces (Belgian Browning's, Winchester's, and Colt's) that will not be shot. I do not buy 'new' speculation pieces at Wal-Mart or other chain stores. Speculation pieces are already fairly valuable firearms you find at LGS, auctions, or individuals. Unfortunately, shooter's don't get shot that much either. If I used the 12 month rule, I'd be down less than 7 guns.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I bought a shotgun with the plans of shooting it but now I just stare at at the box. It's still in the box and has only been taken out twice. This is my confession.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've bought at least 1/2 dozen Crickett rifles with no intent to shoot them.
    Most were given to the children of fellow Ingo'ers.

Might have to do that again soon.
    Stay tuned for more details...

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm on the other extreme end.

If any gun I own goes more than a year without being shot, it gets sold. I only keep the stuff I shoot. I tend to invest more in 'tools' than 'toys' these days, and I favor having a fewer more expensive pieces than having a lot of cheap ones.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm on the other extreme end.

If any gun I own goes more than a year without being shot, it gets sold. I only keep the stuff I shoot. I tend to invest more in 'tools' than 'toys' these days, and I favor having a fewer more expensive pieces than having a lot of cheap ones.

My thoughts exactly. Nothing with any bluing or wood. All business type tools. I have done a bunch of selling this year.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    If I own it then it is getting shot, don't care if it is a Hi-Point or a rare 6 figure collectors gun...it is going to get shot.

my sentiments exactly. I am extremely thorough about maintenance, so shooting something doesn't impact the value from my perspective. Most of the things I collect of value are antique and therefore have already been shot extensively before I was brought to life.

Top Bottom