• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Some times a BUG. Some times not. Some times more than one. Depends on what that 'little bird on my shoulder' tells me that day.

Everyone has their own concepts and beliefs on their personal protection, and I pass no judgment on those concepts. Folks know better than I what works best for them.

When a BUG is carried, the least 'potent' carried is a 9mm, perhaps a .45 acp. This is solely based on my own, real world, experiences.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Most of the time I do not carry a BUG as the odds of needing your firearm are astronomical to begin with, then the odds of your primary not working are very low also. That being said if I am going through the bad part of INDY I normally carry my HK P30 with a spare mag (because we all know HK's dont jam :rockwoot:) with a Ruger LCP in my back pocket.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I do. Primarily because its easier to access in certain situations than my primary. An ankle holster sucks while standing, and a belt holster sucks while seat belted in, so having both gives you options.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I do. Primarily because its easier to access in certain situations than my primary. An ankle holster sucks while standing, and a belt holster sucks while seat belted in, so having both gives you options.

This might be one of the best points I've heard for the BUG debate. I like it!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No. I do carry a second full size gun when travelling though. I think if someone chooses to carry one regularly that is great, though I do question the back gun being lesser of a fighting gun than the primary. If I need my back up I probably need it real bad and would prefer to have something effective that I shoot well. When I got paid to carry guns I did it like BBI suggests, as I really wanted to have access to a gun while seated in the car, and the left hand duty rig was not always the best for that.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    No. I do carry a second full size gun when travelling though. I think if someone chooses to carry one regularly that is great, though I do question the back gun being lesser of a fighting gun than the primary. If I need my back up I probably need it real bad and would prefer to have something effective that I shoot well. When I got paid to carry guns I did it like BBI suggests, as I really wanted to have access to a gun while seated in the car, and the left hand duty rig was not always the best for that.

This makes a lot of sense. If you happen to NEED that back up gun, would you really want to be in a gun fight with a gun that isn't as good as your primary?

I'd rather have a Glock 26 or a .38 snubby as a BUG.

Revo357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Perry County

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thank you for the links cosermann.

A lot of good points on the topic and I can see both sides. How comfortable is ankle carry exactly?

I never cared for it. I worry about the gun moving around. I have heard the ankle glove with support strap is better.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Like most of you I don't carry a BUG but have on occasion, depending on where I had to go/work. I do sometimes reposition my EDC so that's more accessible in the car, again depending on the location.

Revo357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Perry County
    I won a glock 42 at a NRA benefit match last year and ended up trading it to my brother for a Sig 290rs. May have to look into the 42 again or wait for that single stack 9mm supposedly coming out soon.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Normally I don't carry a BUG but when I drive out of town any distance I do. Either a 642 in an Ankle Glove or my normal EDC (G19) and it's bigger brother, a G20 on my strong side.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you for the links cosermann.

A lot of good points on the topic and I can see both sides. How comfortable is ankle carry exactly?

I carry an LCR and I'm not aware its there unless I specifically think about it. I've tried a Shield and its the same. That's about as heavy as I care to go in an ankle set up, though.

I call it a BUG/Primary as that's the common vernacular. Truly I view it more as an alternative gun than a "back up" like a spare tire. The situation dictates which I'm going for first, and much like the "use a pistol to fight to a rifle" theory, if the situation dictates I'll use my BUG to fight to my primary.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I never cared for it. I worry about the gun moving around. I have heard the ankle glove with support strap is better.

Bumping this for an update. I obtained a lightly used Galco Ankle Glove with strap from a friend. Tried it out yesterday. It did a good job carrying my Jframe. Overall I like the setup. I especially like being able to reach the gun whe seated in the truck. Otherwise it is hard to get to. But given the alternatives it is a nice option. If I do decide to carry this gun as a true BUG it will be on my ankle.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I sometimes do, sometimes don't. It depends on what I'm doing that day or where I'm planning to go. When I do, it's a Sig P238 in a pocket holster.

Top Bottom