Do you carry a full magazine + one in the chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you top off a magazine after putting a round into the chamber?

• Total voters

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I see this in posts every once in a while where people say they carry (for example) with 15 rounds plus 1 in the chamber with a 15 round magazine. Seems kinda silly to me that some would load their gun, rack the slide, pop out the magazine, load another round and then seat the magazine back into the gun. Now on a tube fed rifle or shotgun I understand.

Do you carry a full magazine plus one in the chamber or do you carry with a formerly full magazine with one in the chamber?

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Please don't fail me now!

Full mag +1. That one round might be the one I really need. Bang,bang bang,bang, click,click could be both embarrassing and fatal. :)

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Always. Why wouldn't you? You do the same thing in competition. Cops do it, or they should. Having one more bullet is always better than having one less IMO. Especially with all these new micro pistols, like the Shield, XDS, MK9's, and so on, why wouldn't you get another round in there if you could? Just sayin.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    Seems kinda silly to me that some would load their gun, rack the slide, pop out the magazine, load another round and then seat the magazine back into the gun.

Curious as to why you think it is silly?
    Many good reasons for doing it have been given so I will not rehash them.
    At the time of my vote it was 6 to 1 in favor of doing it.
    I really can't think of a good reason not to let alone why it would be silly.
    So could you please share why you think so?

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I have always used the normal complement, put one in the chamber, and left it cocked and locked (safety on), without adding another round. I typically have 3 spare mags at hand; all are Wilson 8 round mags, for a total of 32 rounds. I also rotate with four more mags every 2 months.... probably unnecessary in this day and age, but old habits die hard. Why quibble over one more round ?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    That's like asking, if you take all the ice cubes out of the tray except one, do you refill it or wait till the last one is gone?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Curious as to why you think it is silly?
    Many good reasons for doing it have been given so I will not rehash them.
    At the time of my vote it was 6 to 1 in favor of doing it.
    I really can't think of a good reason not to let alone why it would be silly.
    So could you please share why you think so?

It just seems weird to load the gun and pop out the magazine to put in another round. I don't know, maybe I'm the weird one here and that is a realistic posibility. :D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I used to carry a pocket pistol that had a 6 round magazine. As soon as I chambered one I always put that 6th round back in the magazine so that I would have 7 shots instead of just 6.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I can't think of a logical reason not to. You carry a firearm to protect yourself. You can't halfass it because you think it's "silly." Carry as much as you can. With the G19, I have 15 +1 in the gun, and another 15 on my left hip. I'm surprised there are people who don't. Especially in a pocket gun. You'd want all you can stuff in there.

You may think it's silly to wear body armor, but I generally do. It's an extra step, but if it ever saves my life, it will be worth it.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I can't think of a logical reason not to. You carry a firearm to protect yourself. You can't halfass it because you think it's "silly." Carry as much as you can. With the G19, I have 15 +1 in the gun, and another 15 on my left hip. I'm surprised there are people who don't. Especially in a pocket gun. You'd want all you can stuff in there.

You may think it's silly to wear body armor, but I generally do. It's an extra step, but if it ever saves my life, it will be worth it.
    Not to thread jack, but...

You really wear body armor on a daily basis during regular life? (disregard if you're talking about while you're on duty as a leo or something...)

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    For over 11 years out of a 28 year career, I served dope warrants in Detroit... IIRC we got 28 out of one place. As you would imagine,we had our share of gunfights, but hear this, even when you have multiple defendants present, only 3 or 4 on both sides were actually exchanging gunfire....like 3 of us on one of them. Only in the movies do you have a cast of thousands all shooting at the same time. Now in Colombia, more people were involved, but most everyone was using long guns.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    this is how I carry
    2i1cp6x.png

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    I voted no just because I stopped removing the mag, topping it off and re-inserting it. I noticed that by doing this often enough would end up damaging the round where the extractor would continuously grab it and pull on the same round. I mainly have this issue after going to the range and then putting my defense loaded magazine. What I do now is drop a round in the chamber while the slide is held back, release the slide, and then insert the magazine.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I voted no just because I stopped removing the mag, topping it off and re-inserting it. I noticed that by doing this often enough would end up damaging the round where the extractor would continuously grab it and pull on the same round. I mainly have this issue after going to the range and then putting my defense loaded magazine. What I do now is drop a round in the chamber while the slide is held back, release the slide, and then insert the magazine.
    You really should look into how bad that damages extractors. It's not good for them at all. Also, according to you, your vote should have been yes, because you're still carrying a full load plus one in the tube.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pipman, your technique is referred to as a "Bubba load". Sooner or later, but eventually, it will screw up your extractor.

Top Bottom