• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry both JHPs and FMJs on your person?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In my 9mm only JHPs. In my .380 first two rounds JHP, after that alternating in some FMJ.

That doesnt sound like a good idea to have both JHPs and FMJs in the same magazine.
    How can you keep track of what kind of round you shoot in a defensive situation and how do you know if your rounds will go thru your backstop or not? :dunno:

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    Federal NyClads in my S&W Model 60, they are hollowpoints but not really copper jacketed.

Actually, I have some of the old S&W NyClads

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It depends upon the gun I am carrying. My preferred carry is a Kimber Compact. When I carry .45, I carry FMJ. Anything else, I carry JHP.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I carry FMJ in my .380. I don't have a basis, but I think the extra penetration will help me more than the expansion with the smaller caliber.
    My 9mm is hollow points only.

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I carry JHP in everything. The risk of over penetration is less and the expansion will do more damage to the intended target. the expansion will also disperse more energy if penetrating a wall or other object if I miss my intended target

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I put JHPs in all my carry mags.

Ask lovemywoods about the time he brought 1k rounds of Federal JHPs to a Gunsite class! Now that's Ferrari! :laugh:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Now that's Ferrari! :laugh:

Boo...

On to the question. All bullets hurt, all of them. 1st line gear is stacked full of HP's. All my 2nd line gear and crates are stuffed with FMJ.

Same goes for my AR's 1'st line have V-Max or Cor-Bon DPX's and all the rest have FMJ.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    depends on the time of year and location i am going to,most of the time my spare mag is fmj because in a prolonged and or no stop gun battle that requires a reload whomever you are shooting at tends to duck behind things and or seek some kind of cover(and even the best hollow points can fail to expand)

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    I carry JHP in everything. The risk of over penetration is less and the expansion will do more damage to the intended target. the expansion will also disperse more energy if penetrating a wall or other object if I miss my intended target

Ditto...
    One never PLANS on missing. But I hope to lessen the danger should it happen.

zallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I am just curious, so why would anyone carry FMJ as a defensive round? One of my biggest concerns if I had to use my weapon is not only my own safety but the safety of innocent bystanders. Someone fill me in as to why it is a good idea to carry FMJ, and keep in mind that most any top of the line JHP will penetrate car doors and windsheilds without a problem.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I am just curious, so why would anyone carry FMJ as a defensive round? One of my biggest concerns if I had to use my weapon is not only my own safety but the safety of innocent bystanders. Someone fill me in as to why it is a good idea to carry FMJ, and keep in mind that most any top of the line JHP will penetrate car doors and windsheilds without a problem.

Its a fairly easy assumption to say that more people have been killed with non expanding ammunition (fmj or solid lead) than with all types of expanding ammo combined.

The hollow points I have tested failed to expand when shot through clothing.

What is it about hollow points that magically make them safer than FMJ?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    carrying ball ammo CAN have advantages, especially when you need as much "muscle" from your caliber as you can.

Carry a .25? I'd likely go ball ammo. Same with .32 and .380. Heck, even 9mm Mak.

Top Bottom