• Do you EDC extra magazine(s)?

• Total voters

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I always carry 1 extra...two reasons - one for extra capacity and one for the potential of failure/jam. I have faith in my EDC and I don't expect to have a problem, but in the 1 chance where I have to drop the mag to clear a jam I want to have a second in waiting.

MiNDRiVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A lot of people carry extra mags but nobody ever said they were full. I really hope you guys aren't running around with empty mags in your cargo pockets :):

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    1. I submit that if one has the option of high-tailing it, then they should have exercised that option before learning that the amount of ammunition they chose to carry was sufficient or not.
    2. No one can know how many rounds it will take to solve any given problem. It might be the number you have or less. It will be between zero and more than you have. More is better than less unless you're trying to swim.
    3. Everyone can miss under stress, even at ridiculously close range, even a lot of times. It's not just NYC cops. Refer back to #2.
    4. Needing to reload after running dry is not the only reason one should carry an extra magazine. Magazines are the most likely cause of a malfunction in an otherwise functional firearm. Having additional magazines could be the difference between one shot and enough.
    5. I don't advocate that people carry everything I carry, but if you're going to carry a handgun for defense, I believe that at least one readily accessible reload and a powerful flashlight are as essential as the gun itself or the knowledge and skill to be able to use it (or not) effectively and appropriately in an emergency.

+100 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IMHO, the most important reason to have a backup mag is for #4. People can say "but my gun and magazine work every time!". But, can you guarantee that every round in that magazine will work perfectly? The only round that you know for sure will fire is the round you just fired. If you have a malfunction and "tap, rack, bang" does not get you up and running, then you should be tossing that mag and loading your next one. How are you going to do that if you don't have a "next one"?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I currently have a couple spares in my purse. I am still carrying the LCP so the two extra mags both fit in a small change purse.

I like the thought of more chances to drop bg's but it is also nice to have a back up just in case the mag in the gun malfunctions.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I always carry 1 extra...two reasons - one for extra capacity and one for the potential of failure/jam. ..
    Been waiting for it, and FINALLY (unless I missed it earlier in the thread) someone mentions another (if not THE other) significant reason for carrying a spare mag - to address a malfunction. Rep inbound.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    at least 2 spare mags (or speedstrips/speedloaders when I carried a revo) at all times for whatever I am carrying, UNLESS, I am carrying a BUG and don't have the pocket room for a second spare primary gun mag.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Been waiting for it, and FINALLY (unless I missed it earlier in the thread) someone mentions another (if not THE other) significant reason for carrying a spare mag - to address a malfunction. Rep inbound.

Wait a minute, I see ATM alluded to mag failure (a type of malfunction) also.

I hope the magazine isn't your failure point when you really do need round number 2 or 3 from it.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County

Actually, Rhino hit on that back in post #13 and it's been touched on by several other people....including myself.

Where's our rep?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Actually, Rhino hit on that back in post #13 and it's been touched on by several other people....including myself.

Where's our rep?

Yeah!

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    yes I carry extra magazines. sometimes one sometimes more depends on gun and weather.

Top Bottom