• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    I've been doing some research on citizens arrest, and found the Indiana Code for it... IC 35-33-1-4 the link is here... Indiana Code 35-33-1 (scroll to about the bottom) under the definition "Arrest is the taking of a person into custody" so would handcuffing someone be justified. I'm thinking if you stopped a robbery, (with your CCW) and with proper training, could handcuff him, then according to the law you "notify a law enforcement officer and deliver custody of the person arrested to a law enforcement officer." anyway, I guess if you were in a situation like this and didn't have to shoot, I'm sure you would have your gun on the suspect until the police came anyway. just seeing if anybody does carry handcuffs of not. thanks for the input.
    TW

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Huh?

NO! I haven't lost ALL of my marbles just yet. The LEO's that we hire get sued six ways from nowhere and they have been tasked by us with taking people into custody to protect society. Are you independently wealthy? Do you have months of training and lots of friends to back you up when the BG decides he would rather not submit? In short, just what might you be thinking? 911 is such an easy alternative. :rolleyes: :dunno:

PS: Best you can do is be a good witness. Stay as out of sight as possible. Get a good description, plate number, type and color of vehicle etc. and let those who are paid to take the risks do so. :twocents:

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Problem is you would be taking someone into custody who has just committed a felony. You subdue him/her at gunpoint, how are you going to handcuff them? DO NOT cuff while your handgun is still in one hand. You holster the gun...THEN handcuff. You need a second person for this and at that point you should just wait for police to arrive to handcuff.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    Yeah, no way. Im not a cop. Ill do what i can to protect myselfs and those who deserve to be protected around me. but im not gonna be a hero and arrest somebody. most of the time johnny the hero just gets in the way.
    now, my buddy carries handcuffs, but he is a bailsbondman. that is a little different.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sometimes, but not for what you think :naughty:

I do not carry restraints of any kind. My version of safety doesn't necessarily include hanging around with the "Bad Guy" waiting for the cops. I suppose there IS duct tape in my GHB, if it comes to that.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Problem is you would be taking someone into custody who has just committed a felony. You subdue him/her at gunpoint, how are you going to handcuff them? DO NOT cuff while your handgun is still in one hand. You holster the gun...THEN handcuff. You need a second person for this and at that point you should just wait for police to arrive to handcuff.

This. I'd hate to see someone who has no idea what they're doing get shot with their own weapon as they try to cuff someone. :noway:

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    No******I believe that attempting to cuff a "bad guy" would not be in your best interest. As far as "training" is concerned...even trained and experienced individuals at times have difficulties handcuffing people:twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I own handcuffs but I dont carry them.
    It's too much weight for something that I would never use.If I ever have to do a "citizen arrest" I would rather keep the BG at gun point until the real cops get here.
    Handcuffing someone when you are alone and without LE training is dangerous and its not something a citizen should do IMO.
    I keep my handcuffs in my bedroom and I have some practice using them but not on bad guys ... more like on bad girls. :D
    But that's another story.
    I guess if someone breaks into my home I could handcuffs them.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    in my E&E & EDC bags. no one can see them. im prepped for SHTF. if i need them they are there. I will add that I have had professional training on how to use them. cuffing someone isnt like the movies. neither is any contact. the last thing you want is someone who wants to get away from you swinging around wildly with a set of metal cuffs on one wrist and smashing you in the head. or even for you to injure them attempting to cuff them the wrong way. or you not maintaining your center of balance and properly approaching them when down cuffing them and them knowing how to take advantage of that. I dont want to use them but if im forced to for my safety then i will. again, I DO NOT carry cuffs on my body like im a cop. I know im not a cop, dont wanna be a cop, dont want anyone to think im a cop. just to be clear.

I am prepared to handle assaults from multiple hotties though ;) ....

flex003.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom