• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just a an observation here;
    Doesn't it seem as though those who have trouble liking their job also have trouble liking a lot of other things in life also?

Possible, but I don't fit that trend. Job sucks. The rest of my life is mostly pretty damn good!

And, I like knives.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just a an observation here;
    Doesn't it seem as though those who have trouble liking their job also have trouble liking a lot of other things in life also?

Too broad of a brush there, I think. For some, no doubt it's true. But it depends on the person. For some, it's a good-paying job, with good benefits, close to home, etc. that keeps them clocking in everyday. For some, retirement and a pension are too near to abandon that job now. For others, maybe their interests have changed...they stay in a job they grew out of, say. And maybe for others, it's not because they hate life, they haven't realized they really do have a choice or they're afraid of the change.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Someday, I hope to be a professional bra-fitter.

Animation13.gif

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I am a project manager/programmer/sometimes tech for a major building automation company. There are parts of my job that I love and then there are days when I hate it.

What I have found is that most of my misery is not from the job itself but others that don't do their jobs which makes mine exponentially harder. If a few key people were replaced with better candidates, I think I would be very happy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow, lots of interesting occupations represented here! This has been a good read. :)

I started working at a shoe store at 16 (first "real" job - cut grass before that). Stayed in the shoe business in sales/management until 1981-ish. Went into the restaurant industry either as a cook or in management (or both) for 15 years between Lafayette and Indy, with the last 10 being at TGI Friday's (cook). Got my associate degree in computer technology and went into programming (COBOL) for a music club (now defunct) and stayed with them until they closed the doors in 2009. Loved that job! Our employee store had tons of CDs and merchandise from customer returns and we got it all cheap. I had 100 CDs before I even owned a CD player! :): Fortunately they gave us ample notice that our days were numbered and as a result I was only unemployed for 3 months before being hired at my current job.

I work for the gubmint in IT. First 3 years as a programmer, and for the last 3 in testing. I basically act like a "test version" of production control and run the jobs (mainframe) for the actual testers. I enjoy it, and the hours are flexible - I work eight 9 hour days and one 8 hour day, off every other Friday. I work from home 2 days a week, so out of a two week pay period I'm only in the office 5 days. Say what you will about government employees. Some of it's true, but the people I work with all work hard (some better than others :):) and care about the people we serve. :patriot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Too broad of a brush there, I think. For some, no doubt it's true. But it depends on the person. For some, it's a good-paying job, with good benefits, close to home, etc. that keeps them clocking in everyday. For some, retirement and a pension are too near to abandon that job now. For others, maybe their interests have changed...they stay in a job they grew out of, say. And maybe for others, it's not because they hate life, they haven't realized they really do have a choice or they're afraid of the change.

That's me. Although there are times I enjoy it, for the most part I don't.
    I work in +100 degree areas, I think the highest I've checked was 170.
    I get to work on bolts and screws that are 300 to 500 degrees. I try to use gloves, but try working with #6 screws, and 22 gauge wire with gloves.
    In 25 years, I've been through about 20 bosses. One of them left the company, came back, then left again.
    Managers have thrown their radio and keys down, yelled "F THIS" and walked away.
    Several deaths of those I know, last one was a previous boss that fell of a crane.
    Multiple guys I know suffered amputations or were crushed, but still lived, never to work again.

So, why stay?
    25 years. I can get a pension, but before 30 it's very small. Go to 30 and it isn't bad.
    It pays well, and good benefits (always useful if I get my arm chopped off).
    And, it's challenging work. I actually enjoy fixing things, and getting a broke piece of equipment working.
    While some people there make me wonder how they get through the day remembering to breath, the guys I work with are top notch.
    We try to do our best to keep the place working, and make the company a profit.

I just don't understand why I have to fight managers to get the equipment running.
    Managers that have actually told me they don't care, they're just putting in their time.
    Higher level managers that try to save a thousand bucks by not fixing something, then a million dollars worth of equipment burn up, and we lose millions in production, but the same boss can't figure out why he's in trouble.

Winter time
    20150306_015317_zpskl1fqkra.jpg

This is where it was on mids on the weekend
    20130617_182914_zps7abd72b5.jpg

Steel doesn't like it when you take it's temperature. It "reacts" a little.
    20141230_214419_zpswwnmfdqd.jpg

High tech electrical distribution, 1950s era equipment. Don't trip and fall in. Exposed 250 vDC, 480 vAC, and 14.4 kVAC
    20150806_163738_zpsjfj5aglo.jpg

Electrical equipment doesn't react well when you overflow the steel.
    These aluminum plugs melted.
    20140526_213010_zpsdxga9ios.jpg

High tech Carbon Monoxide detectors.
    Trying to apply CPR to this one
    20140325_160426_zpsccfd7565.jpg

Last edited:

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    Electrical lineman here. Like my job some days better than others. I like working outside, good pay ,and good benefits . I'm 10 minutes from home and enjoy getting people's lights back on. Down side winter weather and long hours after storms. Been at this job for 20 years and 15 more to go till 62 if everything goes as planned. Don't think I want to do this job after age 62 seen alot of linemen with bad knees and shoulders. Also farm 365 acres with my brother. Would like to farm when I retire.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Electrical lineman here. Like my job some days better than others. I like working outside, good pay ,and good benefits . I'm 10 minutes from home and enjoy getting people's lights back on. Down side winter weather and long hours after storms. Been at this job for 20 years and 15 more to go till 62 if everything goes as planned. Don't think I want to do this job after age 62 seen alot of linemen with bad knees and shoulders. Also farm 365 acres with my brother. Would like to farm when I retire.

That's real work right there. Electricity scares me. It's like black magic, only with less warning.

I worked a part time gig doing security for sub-stations years ago when copper prices were way up. The IPL dude in charge told me "if someone runs inside the fence, don't chase them. Call us to shut it down. There's things in there that will reach out and get you if you get within 6' of them." Yeaahhh, I'm good.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I don't exactly hate what I do. I am currently working third shift making bread for IGRC but have done several other jobs for them in the past. I hate certain aspects of it like not having any weekends or holidays off. The pay is ok but I feel like there isn't any room for me to grow. I would really like to find a job where I could work from home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doing an install today.
    Equipment and tools staged up yesterday in the truck. Ready to go.
    Saving someone a chunk and making myself a bit.
    Life is good if you feed it.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Use to really like my job.I am an Electronics Engineering associate for a large company working in the lab. Thought I found the company to retire at. But over the last 2 years, things have gotten to the point in which I think I will need to find another. Which is sad, cause I use to really like the work, but management is ruining it. First 10 years was good though.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Community pharmacist. Depending on the day I might love or hate what is happening, but at the end of the day I love what I do. It's challenging and rewarding, especially on the occasions (usually 1-2 times a shift) that I actually get to make a huge difference in someone's life.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Writing on behalf of LaDirectora. She and I chatted about this topic last night.
    She is a full-time home-maker. Or, as I have been known to say: our COO (Chief Operating Officer), accountant, procurement officer, cook, and Domestic Engineer. Ten to Twelve hour days, 7 days a week, no holidays, and only occasional vacations. No OSHA oversight, and no union. Pay kinda sucks (earnings are based on MY performance, not hers). Benefits are outstanding, though. Quality time with our kiddo. Quality time with me. NO commute. We eat fairly healthy, and our grocery bill is about as low as you can go for the quality we get. It does have its ups and downs. Sick kids and sick husbands are the WORST. Dealing with repairmen comes in a close second (sorry, CM). She'll probably pick up a side gig once school starts, and make a few extra bucks from what is now a languishing hobby (she is a talented knitter, but just doesn't have the time).

Its a tough job. I'm lucky to have found someone that not only CAN do it, but is WILLING to do it, and even smile about it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Today I don't like it.
    My radio must have been on low, because I didn't hear the call for anyone that knew CPR.
    Lights and sirens just took out a coworker of 19 years or so.

Top Bottom