• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    First you name your gun. Then you start talking to your gun. Then you start buying "her" gift, like pretty grips or a special holster. You spend countless hours rubbing her with oil. You start bragging about her and showing her off to friends and even complete strangers. Then you get jealous when someone else handles her too long. A big fight starts about how much she liked it when that guy put her down the front of his pants at the cigar store. The bond of trust is broken between gun owner and gun. So you sell her off like broken Hipoint and start cruising LGSs looking for something newer and hotter.

I'll skip all the drama and leave my guns unnamed.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Not normally, but I guess I did name my MAC-10 Vera.

IMG_1900.JPG

And I guess my ex-girlfriend named my FS2000 Stephen. I have no idea why she did that. Stephen isn't even a Belgian name. :nuts:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am so opposed to naming one's gun but.......I did name one of my flintlock long rifles. My .54 cal Jack Garner long rifle is named "Jen Ellen", named for my wifes best friend who passed away at age 29 years old not long after she was Maid of Honor at our wedding. I even have the name scratched inside the lid of the wooden patchbox...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I named one. It was a custom 6.5 X 284 I built for open 1000 yard highpower competition, It was HART barrel fitted to a Winchester action with a benchrest trigger and Zelnek rear sight with a Gehman eyepiece. The metal was bedded in a heavily modified Remington 40Xb stock that ended up being painted Ferrari red at as a joke at my friends bodyshop. I named it "Rosa" I even had a shop make silver name plates for the sides of the forearm. As I traveled to matches around the country, people who did not know my name knew the guy with the pony tail and the red rifle. I wonder if "Rosa" is still around?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just dug up this old thread. I've been thinking about this for more of a practical reason. If my gun has a name, the family can have a code word that means 'gun'. So if I name it Matthew, we can say stuff like "I think I'm going to take Matthew to the mall" or "go get Matthew".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just dug up this old thread. I've been thinking about this for more of a practical reason. If my gun has a name, the family can have a code word that means 'gun'. So if I name it Matthew, we can say stuff like "I think I'm going to take Matthew to the mall" or "go get Matthew".

I've always thought it was silly name objects as if they were sentient. But you've actually found a practical purpose. I could see myself doing that now.

Rick60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Bloomington
    Yeah I'm weird... My wife calls her sr9c April after the month it was made, I call my sr40c Roscoe, after a Barney afire thing and we call our shotgun Bubba... Jeeze I can't believe I just admitted this.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Yes, we do. It's easier for my wife, and I can say, "Remember to let Sparky out." and she knows I really mean "Don't forget to put the Ruger P95 on the bedside table." plus nobody thinks anything of such a statement or that I'm talking about a gun.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    Nope. I've got a Smith 669 that gets called old faithful. More of a description that a name though. Nothing else has anything even close.

Top Bottom