Do you wear glassess/contacts? If so, what's your plan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like most old geezers I can't see anything up close, I've collected various reading glasses over the years. Wife says it looks like a Sanford and Son routine when I'm searching for one that fits for what I want to see.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never worn contacts, and I never will. I've been in need of an eye check up for a while. When I do get one, I plan on getting a couple of extra pairs in my prescription, which I don't reason has changed much at all in the last decade, in the style that the military issued to new recruits in the 70s. Nice, utilitarian, black plastic frames that I can toss in a basic protective case in a GHB or BOB.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Would love to get her LASIC or something - but it's 'spensive.

It's not as pricey as you might think, and prices continue to fall and the technology continues to get better. I had mine done a couple years ago for about the price of a LaRue AR-15. Best thing I've spent money on in a long time.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/199359-my-lasik-experience-start-finish.html

But if I were still rockin' glasses or contact I'd probably do what WETSU and others have suggested-- keep a few inexpensive back-up pairs of glasses stashed around.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I had PRK done with Dr. Lanter last winter, and I wonder why I didn't do it sooner! I don't know the numbers, but my vision is great!

With LASIK, there's a thin flap cut in the cornea which has a *very small* chance of dislodging. Which they could easily fix, but with PRK, there's no flap cut, so there's no chance of any issue.

With PRK, it took about 2-3 weeks for my vision to really come in sharp, so the healing process is a little longer than LASIK, but I don't ever have to worry about a bump ever knocking a flap out of place.

With PRK, the corneal epithelium is removed and discarded, allowing the cells to regenerate after the surgery. The procedure is distinct from LASIK (Laser-Assisted in-Situ Keratomileusis), a form of laser eye surgery where a permanent flap is created in the deeper layers of the cornea.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorefractive_keratectomy

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've never worn contacts, and I never will. I've been in need of an eye check up for a while. When I do get one, I plan on getting a couple of extra pairs in my prescription, which I don't reason has changed much at all in the last decade, in the style that the military issued to new recruits in the 70s. Nice, utilitarian, black plastic frames that I can toss in a basic protective case in a GHB or BOB.

Just don't ask what the GIs nicknamed those glasses......

But in case you want the real things, Never issued.
    Military USGI Vintage BCG Birth Control Glasses Male Horn Rim Eyeglasses 46 x 26 | eBay

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

That's actually a good idea. I wear contacts and don't like glasses, or going back and forth in between. The last pair of glasses I got, I picked out the most durable-looking titanium frames that they had. Don't expect to find many utilitarian choices at most eye-care places (mine had none). But I should look into getting some online while my prescription is still good, there's probably lots more choices online.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    LASIK and prk are cheap. ICL is expensive. If you can't get your eyes surgically corrected for some reason, eyeball safety will be paramount. If SHTF, i would highly suggest stop wearing contacts and wear glasses only. Not being able to wash your hands and keep everything clean makes wearing contacts near impossible and dangerous. Dirt and one infection would make you blind. Keeping spare glasses is your only solution. That or surgery. I just broke down and fixed my eyes. Best decision ever.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    As many have said, I keep several pairs of old glasses. I also made sure to have a pair of prescription safety glasses. They are much sturdier than the other glasses that I've purchased from eye doctors, and leagues ahead of the cheap pairs I've got online. They are actually cheaper than "normal" glasses too, for those who have particularly bad eyes. When I buy glasses, I usually get a fancier (i.e., pricier) lens so they don't look like coke bottles. However, safety glasses have to be extra thick, so they're designed for Polycarbonate, which is thicker and cheaper. (I guess you could get non-safety frames, and polycarb lenses too.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had some version of Lasik back in '03. My primary motivation was I knew I was going overseas and would have to wear the gas mask sometimes. The inserts are terrible, make it extraordinarily difficult to shoot well, plus you have to keep up with your glasses while you have the mask on. Mine worked great and I went from 20/400 to 20/15. I had my wellness exam a few weeks ago, and its still 20/15 combined, 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. When it was first done I instantly noticed colors seemed more vibrant, I could see contrast sharper, and it was sooo worth it to just wake up and not reach for glasses before being able to do anything else.

Plus, if I ever have time to read, I won't have to worry about it not being fair.

books1.jpg

Crutch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2015
    Indiana
    I am so glad I found this thread. My vision is terrible as well and I'd always worried about what would happen if shtf. My vision is so bad that if I didn't have my glasses I'd be good as dead, I am so near sighted that I can't see more than 6" in front of my face. Imagine if I had to survive like that?

As a college student, money is tight but I will definitely be saving up for a couple pairs from zenni.

Top Bottom