Do you zero your hunting rifle like Ron Spomer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Marines depending on what Base they are at, will get a BZO at 25 or 36 yds. After a Marine will then get zeros till at least 300 yds. But a bunch has changed on the ranges in the last 1 1/2.

Hey Ron, how about a shorter set of rings on that scope.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have used the military 25/300 method on several the AR15 20 inch with Mil spec 1 MOA sight clicks. Set the rear sight elevation to 3. Adjust the front post to hit center at 25 yards. Now you are battle zero'ed.

From the 300 yard battle zero, 2 clicks down makes 200 zero and is good at 100. Clicking up from 300 to your longer distance elevations. 300 to 500 yards click up about 7, 300 to 600 yards, click up about 11. I never felt like the AR was the right rifle past 600 yards, so I don't know the clicks farther than 600 yards. But these will hold the inside half of the aiming black if you can.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    That was a damn good bore sighting job by Ron. I have pretty much everything 0'd at 200, which makes the near zero generally between 45-55, depending on the cartridge.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Hey Ron, how about a shorter set of rings on that scope.

Why? Height over bore is a non-issue if appropriately accounted for. I know “lower is better” used to be all the rage, but being able to appropriately set up behind the rifle is more important. Look at the Barrett MRAD, Ruger RPR, or most any other chassis rifle. They all shoot just fine with much higher height than old methods would find acceptable. Heck, you ever seen the optics setup on the King of 2 Mile guns, or the ones they’re using to reach out to 4+ miles?

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    Why? Height over bore is a non-issue if appropriately accounted for. I know “lower is better” used to be all the rage, but being able to appropriately set up behind the rifle is more important. Look at the Barrett MRAD, Ruger RPR, or most any other chassis rifle. They all shoot just fine with much higher height than old methods would find acceptable. Heck, you ever seen the optics setup on the King of 2 Mile guns, or the ones they’re using to reach out to 4+ miles?
    A higher mounted scope (within reason) also gets you additional yardage from your "near zero" to your "far zero". While the scope mounted closer to bore provides a " flatter" perceived trajectory. Given a choice between the two, give me a touch higher.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    For one, it will move his cheek weld down and more with being inline with the rifles bore. If that rifle had an adj cheel piece, who cares.
    For two, it looks like a counter person at Walmart set up his scope.
    Meaning it looks like sh!t.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We arnt talking about or needing a scope base with built in MOA here.
    That rifle would be much more comfortable to shoot with a set of low of med rings versus Extra High.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    We arnt talking about or needing a scope base with built in MOA here.
    That rifle would be much more comfortable to shoot with a set of low of med rings versus Extra High.

How do you know? Maybe Ron’s had a neck injury and likes to keep his neck straighter when shouldering a rifle? I fall in to that camp somewhat, which surprised me a few years ago when I was setting up a new rifle with a new (to me) type of chassis.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, though it may initially appear that way. I’m just saying sometimes there’s a valid reason for doing something different that isn’t readily apparent. :)

In this case though, I agree with you that he needs either lower rings or an adjustable cheek piece to improve his cheek weld if he needs/wants a more heads up position!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    How do you know? Maybe Ron’s had a neck injury and likes to keep his neck straighter when shouldering a rifle? I fall in to that camp somewhat, which surprised me a few years ago when I was setting up a new rifle with a new (to me) type of chassis.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, though it may initially appear that way. I’m just saying sometimes there’s a valid reason for doing something different that isn’t readily apparent. :)

In this case though, I agree with you that he needs either lower rings or an adjustable cheek piece to improve his cheek weld if he needs/wants a more heads up position!
    You sure? :whistle:

LOL.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think Ron might be too far out over his ski's on this one? He said early in the video that his rings were too high, but that's all he had and had to get this done, approaching season? :dunno:

Looked like to me that initially he was chasing shots, dialing after each one? I could be wrong, be maybe he hasn't done this much? :scratch:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I think Ron might be too far out over his ski's on this one? He said early in the video that his rings were too high, but that's all he had and had to get this done, approaching season? :dunno:

Looked like to me that initially he was chasing shots, dialing after each one? I could be wrong, be maybe he hasn't done this much? :scratch:
    Ron was using the method of trying to adjust the scope to move the crosshair to the point of impact after each shot, which can be a shortcut and save a lot of ammo during sight in. However, this only works if you can keep the rifle absolutely steady during adjustment. He still probably ended up using less ammo than other methods but the rifle movement cost quite a bit of ammo.

Here's a link detailing the method he was trying to use.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ron was using the method of trying to adjust the scope to move the crosshair to the point of impact after each shot, which can be a shortcut and save a lot of ammo during sight in. However, this only works if you can keep the rifle absolutely steady during adjustment. He still probably ended up using less ammo than other methods but the rifle movement cost quite a bit of ammo.

Understood, what he was trying to do. Like the too tall scope rings though, it didn't appear that he had his :poop: together?

Why would you make a demonstration video, showing that you weren't following the fundamentals of how to do it?

:n00b:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I'm OLD, but I have a Night Force that I had a Horus Reticle installed that goes with a PDA.
    One of its functions is to be able to one shot zero, do your job and the second is a money shot.
    I didn't watch the video, but if hes doing a one shot zero, hes taking a long way to get there.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Understood, what he was trying to do. Like the too tall scope rings though, it didn't appear that he had his :poop: together?

Why would you make a demonstration video, showing that you weren't following the fundamentals of how to do it?

:n00b:
    Because he wasn't demonstrating a one shot zero, he was demonstrating a 30 yard zero.

I have more concerns about the ammo he was using than his method of zeroing.

Top Bottom