Does anyone here build custom AR Rifles ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armycombatmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I want to know if anyone builds custom AR -15 rifles
    I would purchase the FFL part and then have it custom build by this person
    I want a long barrel 24 inches with a threaded end for my silencer
    with quality parts.

I am also looking for a someone who can make an custom upper for my DPMS LR 308
    I want a 24 inch barrel that is threaded so I can used my Recce 7 Silencer on it.

I want it with the picatiny rails so I use my scopes and add stuff on it

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I would suggest building it yourself. I have built two and it takes all of 2-3 hours (if you're slow like me). This will allow you to build it to your exact specifications and will also give you a sense of accomplishment when you are finished.

lane73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2015
    Jennings County
    The hardest part will be your lower receiver but there are plenty of youtube videos and im sure there are classes around to show you how to do it and even give you the lower most are a 5.56 or 300 blackout compatable lowers (a standard lower is good for both calibers) building will save you money in the long run. You just have to kinda shop around for your parts

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The hardest part will be your lower receiver but there are plenty of youtube videos and im sure there are classes around to show you how to do it and even give you the lower most are a 5.56 or 300 blackout compatable lowers (a standard lower is good for both calibers) building will save you money in the long run. You just have to kinda shop around for your parts

Welcome to Ingo.
    Nice, quality first post.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I wouldn't say the lower is hard to build at all. I assembled my first one last night and it took me 20 minutes. Just watched a few videos beforehand on YouTube to get to know my way around the parts kit and tools needed.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I assembled my first lower by myself, with no prior experience other than shooting/cleaning an AR15.
    I used a pictorial I found on AR15.com and it took me about 45 minutes. I took my time.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I agree with what everyone has said here. But if you would still rather have someone else do it, I've heard Grey Wolf Guns in Avon advertise on WIBC that they offer a build service. I have no experience with them, all I know is what I've heard on their commercial.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Welcome to Ingo.
    Nice, quality first post.

:+1:Welcome to INGO! Agreed on great first post! We can maybe use you as an example ;) I hope you stick around and continue to contribute!

I assembled my first lower by myself, with no prior experience other than shooting/cleaning an AR15.
    I used a pictorial I found on AR15.com and it took me about 45 minutes. I took my time.

This is also me, I had a pretty good understanding of how they worked etc, but I built my first one by "just doing it" from that point on it's been a breeze! You should do your own, you'll appreciate it a lot more for sure!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll bet someone on here would be willing to assist/advise you on your first build.
    Many on here have the tools that, while not really necessary, sure make things easier.There are also occasional "build parties" if you can find one in your area.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    Like many have said already you will get a great sense of accomplishment and really appreciate the rifle more if you do it yourself. I recently finally completed my first rifle and it is so stinking easy. The only thing I didn't do was torquing the barrel down and that was because I didn't have the tools. Luckily though my local gun shop helped me out on that.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just take some time researching your parts that you want to buy. There are a ton of vids on YouTube on how to put them together, other than that the best advice I could give would be to maybe build one along side a buddy that's done them before and is confident in putting them together, that way if you have a specific question much easier to get a response in real time. I'm not sure were your located but im sure about any INGO member that's close to you that's done them would be more than happy to lend a helping hand when your doing your first one.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I see you are near Crown Point. Just go to the next gun show, walk around the show, and see who has custom rifles for sale. Talk to a couple of dealers and get their price quotes. Then go home, look up the parts prices online. You will realize that you can purchase a complete upper and a complete lower, and put it together yourself at a substantial savings.

Watch the videos on YouTube and get the book The Complete AR-15 Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee. Gunsmithing the AR-15 by Patrick Sweeney is another good book. If need be, ask on this forum, and a member will usually volunteer to help you assemble it or loan you the tools. As other have said, it is easy and fun. You also learn much more about your rifle and have the satisfaction of having built it yourself.

87gsxr711

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As the others have said, building one yourself is pretty easy. A few specific tools make it a bit easier but they are not required. Brownells has a great series of videos that walk you thru step by step how to do it. Part of the fun is buying exactly the parts you want. I've only done one but I am not far from crown point and could lend a hand if needed.

Top Bottom