Does anyone know anything about these guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Another poster just posted a thread about his German luger that his grandpa brought back fron WW 2. I had forgotten about these 2 guns that was in my grandpa's gun case when he passed. My mom had never seen them before and had no idea if they were even passed down to him. I'm sure the revolver is a 32 but not sure about anything else. Any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230917_160122.jpg
      20230917_160122.jpg
      998.2 KB · Views: 48
    • 20230917_160132.jpg
      20230917_160132.jpg
      315.6 KB · Views: 46
    • 20230917_160152.jpg
      20230917_160152.jpg
      862.4 KB · Views: 45
    • 20230917_160415.jpg
      20230917_160415.jpg
      464.9 KB · Views: 46

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Another poster just posted a thread about his German luger that his grandpa brought back fron WW 2. I had forgotten about these 2 guns that was in my grandpa's gun case when he passed. My mom had never seen them before and had no idea if they were even passed down to him. I'm sure the revolver is a 32 but not sure about anything else. Any info is appreciated.
    The revolver looks like an H&R .32 S&W breaktop. Not sure about the muzzle loader.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    The revolver looks like an H&R .32 S&W breaktop. Not sure about the muzzle loader.
    ok now I can make out Harrington & Richardson on the top of the barrel. My eyes aren't as good as they should be. Other forums showed up in a search. And I guess it's advised not to use modern rounds in them, they were designed to use black power not smokeless powder. I know nothing about rounds of that type. Thanks for the start on this journey.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ok now I can make out Harrington & Richardson on the top of the barrel. My eyes aren't as good as they should be. Other forums showed up in a search. And I guess it's advised not to use modern rounds in them, they were designed to use black power not smokeless powder. I know nothing about rounds of that type. Thanks for the start on this journey.
    I had a hard time making it out too, but I could just make out the "dson" and figured it out. :):

Paging @Leadeye

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gun marked CMC is a replica of what is known of as a "boot pistol". The revolver is a H&R probably chambered for 38 S&W or maybe 32 S&W, in both cases you need to date it to determine if it's going to require BP cartridges.

Top breaks like that were popular and were made for a long time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like those little top breaks and have several. While they don't make it into movies set in the west, or around the turn of the century, they were very popular.
    I've got one that DoggyMama found at a yard sale. I've never done anything with it though. It's in similar condition to the OP's.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    The gun marked CMC is a replica of what is known of as a "boot pistol". The revolver is a H&R probably chambered for 38 S&W or maybe 32 S&W, in both cases you need to date it to determine if it's going to require BP cartridges.

Top breaks like that were popular and were made for a long time.
    A 38 doesn't fit in the cylinder. Thats why I was thinking a 32. What dates determine BP cartridges? And are they still available, or do I need to deal with reloads? And the other is a replica? This is interesting. Well time to fire up the search engine again. Thanks for helping me on this journey.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A 38 doesn't fit in the cylinder. Thats why I was thinking a 32. What dates determine BP cartridges? And are they still available, or do I need to deal with reloads? And the other is a replica? This is interesting. Well time to fire up the search engine again. Thanks for helping me on this journey.
    I have a couple of old .32 S&W revolvers.
    Yes, you can find .32 S&W, and .32 S&W long.
    Yours will be .32 S&W.
    Make sure the box says that, exactly that, and nothing else.
    I don't think these are actually black powder rounds, but they are loaded to the traditional black powder pressures.
    This they are safe to use in the old firearms, provided the gun is in good shape.

You'll probably have to go online to find any ammo.
    You might find one box in an old time gun shop, but I doubt anyone stocks it as a regular offering.

Good luck.
    These are fun to shoot.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I have a couple of old .32 S&W revolvers.
    Yes, you can find .32 S&W, and .32 S&W long.
    Yours will be .32 S&W.
    Make sure the box says that, exactly that, and nothing else.
    I don't think these are actually black powder rounds, but they are loaded to the traditional black powder pressures.
    This they are safe to use in the old firearms, provided the gun is in good shape.

You'll probably have to go online to find any ammo.
    You might find one box in an old time gun shop, but I doubt anyone stocks it as a regular offering.

Good luck.
    These are fun to shoot.
    Thanks!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    32S&W brass is available from Starline. The guns I have that shoot 32 S&W, like this 7 shot Merwin, I load with cast soft lead and BP. BP cartridge has some extra details like cleaning the brass and powder compression for good results, but the rewards are being able to shoot many antiques that smokeless would damage.

merwin32.jpg

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    32S&W brass is available from Starline. The guns I have that shoot 32 S&W, like this 7 shot Merwin, I load with cast soft lead and BP. BP cartridge has some extra details like cleaning the brass and powder compression for good results, but the rewards are being able to shoot many antiques that smokeless would damage.

View attachment 300079
    Is there more compression with smokeless?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Is there more compression with smokeless?

With any BP cartridge you will the most consistent results if you use enough powder that the bullet compresses it slightly when you get it fully seated. Magnum primers are another tip to improve consistency. Soft lead bullets help as well.

A short while back I posted about restoring and shooting an old Colt Richards. Following these steps produced quite reasonable accuracy considering the age of the gun and bore condition.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom