• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Alright, no more "thread-jacking," or whatever silly name is ascribed to expansion of a discussion. Here's a full thread on the silly "bug-out"* idea...

Collapse of currency has historically NEVER led to a mass exodus. The Weimar Republic, the Antebellum CSA economy, the Soviet Union, contemporary Argentina...

In previous threads, melensdad has asked fair questions. I have yet to read any realistic scenarios in this post or others. Sure, Eric Rudolph, Ted Kaczynski, and Albert Johnson packed up and left, but are these the guys we want to emulate?

Under what circumstances--specific examples--would you leave? Let's make it easy: why is it safer to survive in a totally unfamiliar setting than to survive on your home turf?

*If you prefer the term "bail out," you may make substitutions as best fits your own vocabulary.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Alright, no more "thread-jacking," or whatever silly name is ascribed to expansion of a discussion. Here's a full thread on the silly "bug-out"* idea...

Collapse of currency has historically NEVER led to a mass exodus. The Weimar Republic, the Antebellum CSA economy, the Soviet Union, contemporary Argentina...

In previous threads, melensdad has asked fair questions. I have yet to read any realistic scenarios in this post or others. Sure, Eric Rudolph, Ted Kaczynski, and Albert Johnson packed up and left, but are these the guys we want to emulate?

Under what circumstances--specific examples--would you leave? Let's make it easy: why is it safer to survive in a totally unfamiliar setting than to survive on your home turf?

*If you prefer the term "bail out," you may make substitutions as best fits your own vocabulary.
    natural disaster

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    at least thats what i prepare for, seems like the most likely situation. but there is always the possibility of mass civil unrest

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The main reasons I can see short term (Ahhhh'll be bahck): Major large area fire. Toxic waste spill (or anything that renders the ground or air highly toxic).

Main reasons I can see longer term (I'll abandon the homestead expecting to never return): Total collapse of society with balkanization of political units where my racial/religious makeup is wrong for the local government and where families are dragged off.

This all assumes I'm not a major wanted criminal under current definitions.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Disaster (natural or otherwise) that made my current home untenable. This could also include civil disruption where living in a highly populated area was suddenly too dangerous.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Natural disaster...? How about an example of a disaster where you would just run away? How about a global example where anyone did? New Orleans? Maybe, but a lot of variables. People don't flee from tornadoes and earthquakes...

Civil unrest? What does that mean? You would runa and hide from domestic invaders? Historically, when has that ever happened? The British stayed in London during the Blitzkrieg, likewise the Germans during the Allied bombing campaign. Korean store-owners mounted their stores with SKSs and defended their property. What civil unrest would lead you to leave--seems safer to stay home and defend your family. Will there be no civil unrest along the roads?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Natural disaster...? How about an example of a disaster where you would just run away? How about a global example where anyone did? New Orleans? Maybe, but a lot of variables. People don't flee from tornadoes and earthquakes...
    i bet their are a lot of people in japan that would do that differently if they could.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i don't think about as "how do i get myself out" it's more "how do i take care of my family" in the event of.........

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Civil unrest? What does that mean? You would runa and hide from domestic invaders? Historically, when has that ever happened? The British stayed in London during the Blitzkrieg, likewise the Germans during the Allied bombing campaign. Korean store-owners mounted their stores with SKSs and defended their property. What civil unrest would lead you to leave--seems safer to stay home and defend your family. Will there be no civil unrest along the roads?
    LA riots ring a bell? i live in a highly populated area, and if things go south sometimes it's better to get out then to stay and fight.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    We can look at the Japanese, and if you want to prepare for a tsunami or a nuclear reactor melt down (Indiana has no active nuclear reactors) be my guest. I added the stipulation "realistic," but far be it from me to impose rules...

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    LA riots ring a bell? i live in a highly populated area, and if things go south sometimes it's better to get out then to stay and fight.

I mentioned the LA Riots..."Korean store-owners with SKSs"

The LA Riots are a prime example of the uselessness of bugging out. Millions of people in LA and the riots didn't drive anyone out of town. I don't know where you live, but the LA Riots demonstrated an economic discrepancy, and the localization of the damage illustrates that perfectly.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    We can look at the Japanese, and if you want to prepare for a tsunami or a nuclear reactor melt down (Indiana has no active nuclear reactors) be my guest. I added the stipulation "realistic," but far be it from me to impose rules...
    it's more about the unknown, it's possible that we could have a quake right here that could make my neighborhood uninhabitable, or we could have mass riots over something stupid and bee overrun with fools. the point is being prepared to survive for a few days regardless of what may be going on

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I mentioned the LA Riots..."Korean store-owners with SKSs"

The LA Riots are a prime example of the uselessness of bugging out. Millions of people in LA and the riots didn't drive anyone out of town. I don't know where you live, but the LA Riots demonstrated an economic discrepancy, and the localization of the damage illustrates that perfectly.
    but they put some people down for a dirt nap, and my point is that sometimes its better to get your family away from danger then to risk it

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Good questions. I'm by no means an "expert" in bugging out, and my basic plan is fairly straight forward and simple. I'm sure I could be more thorough.

Natural disaster...? How about an example of a disaster where you would just run away?

You've already hit on the Katrina disaster. That would actually be a prime example of people having enough time to "bug out". I'm no nuclear/radiation expert, but what if the recent Japan incident rendered the west coast unlivable? I'm sure folks would've been "bugging" east.

People don't flee from tornadoes and earthquakes...

Maybe not immediately, but I'm sure many do after their homes are no longer livable. If a tornado just flattened your house I'm pretty sure the S has just HTF.

Civil unrest? What does that mean? You would runa and hide from domestic invaders?

Bugging out doesn't always have to be about "hiding". Perhaps it would be done to get to a secondary location that is more defensible.

What civil unrest would lead you to leave--seems safer to stay home and defend your family.

In some cases it may be. In other cases it may be best to bug out to a secondary location where there is more family/friends/people.

Will there be no civil unrest along the roads?

Most likely-- especially if the .gov has anything to do with the unrest. I'm pretty sure most "preppers" take things like that into consideration.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i think your trying to get to specific, no one can predict if something is going to happen, but if it does you should have options

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Preparedness I'm all for. I was asking about the specific concept of "bugging out." I've got provisions in may house and my car that will allow me to get to my house. I just want a single, historical example of anyone in a post-industrial nation packing up and fleeing at a moment's notice for any reason.

I'm not arguing, and I'm not saying that such a scenario doesn't exist, I just don't know of any. I know of several historical instances of people who stayed where they were and survived.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The LA Riots are a prime example of the uselessness of bugging out. Millions of people in LA and the riots didn't drive anyone out of town.

How do you know this? I'm sure some folks "went to stay with Aunt Sally for the weekend" while the riots took place. That's a very common example of "bugging out".

Sure, the store owners who had their livelihoods at stake decided to stay-- and that was their right and choice. But don't you suppose a few of them sent their families off to a safer place while they defended their stores? I would consider that "bugging out".

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I think you're missing a key point. You won't find the statistic you're looking for. The average person won't bug out, they don't even know what it is. People who are prepared and think there is a chance it may get bad where they live will.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    i think your trying to get to specific, know one can predict if something is going to happen, but if it does you should have options

I know that I am trying to get specific. I want a historical example that is feasible today.

And esrice, as you posted above, and as I commented on earlier, I am totally into being prepared. Several of us were having this discussion over a few cigars, and just couldn't come up with a reason (with the notable exception of zombies) that would drive us out of our homes. Does that mean we have limited ourselves to only being prepared in our homes? No, but I want to hear what others have to say.

Top Bottom