Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Modern gun, no reason not to carry chambered. Just do it.

I open carry once in awhile. I actually look for people to see if they notice I'm carrying. I find the majority of people don't even realize I have a firearm on my side. I'm not talking a mouse gun but my 10mm 5" 1911. Once in awhile you see someone take notice, but not very often.

There's a current INGO member (rhymes with cheapjammer) that thinks you are going to shoot up the place when he sees a open carrier and fondles his gun under the table watching you.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Why not carry the older revolvers half-cocked?

Not a lot of surface area on that notch in the hammer and it wears or breaks. Dave Lanara, an excellent Colt SAA resto guy, tig welds those back up to spec. He's never short of work.

That said, early Colt autos used that "safety" notch on the hammer. It was all you had back then in the day if you wanted to call it a safety at all. pocket hammer.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I open carry once in awhile. I actually look for people to see if they notice I'm carrying. I find the majority of people don't even realize I have a firearm on my side. I'm not talking a mouse gun but my 10mm 5" 1911. Once in awhile you see someone take notice, but not very often.

Serious question, what do you use to gauge if someone noticed you? I spot OC and sloppy CC pretty often but I don't then point and announce or try to start a conversation. I do the same cursory threat/no threat assessment and move on.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I first started carrying when my oldest kid was a baby/tot. I carried (Sig P238) on an empty chamber with safety on until I felt comfortable carrying with the family around and knew I had good habits of properly locking it up when I didn’t have it on me. Part of the early days struggle too was finding a good holster I wasn’t always fidgeting with. Now I carry “cocked and locked” with a Micro 9.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Carrying a gun is a lot like when you first got your driving Learners permit. At first you are hyper aware of everything but as you gain confidence and comfort you relax but you must still be diligent in staying alert.

I'm not going to rehash this entire thread, repeating how carrying without One in the chamber makes it pretty much useless, but I will agree with CWframe that I don't think manual safety should be discounted but it should be trained to the point of being second nature. If the safety is on the side next to your trigger finger then it will be pretty easy to make it a fluid motion as your finger brushes down the side of the frame during your draw or even rests there until you consciously decide to move your trigger finger onto the trigger. I'm also not opposed to a thumb safety lever but I do see a few examples of scenarios where that could become a liability.

I would also add that it is a good idea to practice with your non-dominant hand occasionally because in the real world that could be the only one available to you. It doesn't hurt that I'm a lefty so reversible or ambidextrous control is a major factor in my gun shopping decision.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Good that you are so cautious…. Every gun owner should be. But take the suggestions and learn and be comfortable carrying on a loaded chamber….. a second could save your life or someone else’s…..

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I always carry with one in the chamber. As many have echoed, time is of the essence and in a self defense sitch you/I don't want to burn any extra than needed.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Modern gun, no reason not to carry chambered. Just do it.

There's a current INGO member (rhymes with cheapjammer) that thinks you are going to shoot up the place when he sees a open carrier and fondles his gun under the table watching you.

One thing I've noticed is that people who are the most vociferous in their preaching of one particular way of doing something generally don't know nearly as much as they think they do. Carry openly, carry concealed or do whichever fits the situation, but JFC IMO.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    An old thread, now, but one I wrote after working yet another case of someone losing to bad guys because they carried on an empty chamber:

That incident was an entangled gunfight where the good guy was killed with his gun out but empty chamber. If you can't bring yourself to carry chambered, go back to the revolver. Revolvers work and the reduced capacity is nowhere remotely near as likely to be a deciding factor as not having a functional weapon at the draw.
    A lot of folks in that thread who aren't around much anymore, some by choice, some not.

A good trip down memory lane.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Not having one in the chamber is kind of like having an empty fire extinguisher in the kitchen or shop and a charged fire extinguisher in the next room.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Serious question, what do you use to gauge if someone noticed you? I spot OC and sloppy CC pretty often but I don't then point and announce or try to start a conversation. I do the same cursory threat/no threat assessment and move on.
    They usually look directly at my firearm when they take notice. In small towns most don't care because it's an everyday occurrence around here. Most people are to occupied with whatever they are doing or their eyes glued to their cellphone to notice.

When I carry concealed I've never had anyone notice that I'm aware of. I'm good size and even duty size firearms disappear. I'm sure someone trained to spot it would like I spot others or suspect they are. I prefer concealed carry because what people don't know does not hurt them in this case.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not a lot of surface area on that notch in the hammer and it wears or breaks. Dave Lanara, an excellent Colt SAA resto guy, tig welds those back up to spec. He's never short of work.

That said, early Colt autos used that "safety" notch on the hammer. It was all you had back then in the day if you wanted to call it a safety at all. View attachment 172749
    I've wondered why people didn't carry half-cocked know I know.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Exactly it matters not to me what manner they elect to carry. Rather their actions will dictate an appropriate response. Most always it results in me shaking my head and moving on. Although I do often wonder what the guy with the too tight T shirt on that outlines his rolls and weapon is thinking?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The only time it's fine to carry with no round in the chamber is when you're carrying you're good old Makarov pistol, with a EFA-2K (self loading on the draw) holster.

SYPhLaz.jpeg

41wp8FFU3uL._AC_SX466_.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I trained a *lot* with a 1911 for years...

I did also. I think, if dedicated to the 1911 platform, the "thumb shelf" safety can be mastered. The problem comes when folks try to use their "gun rotation." :rolleyes:

If you are gonna carry a 1911, you have to ONLY shoot and practice with it. The switching around is what bites folks. I was a dedicated 1911 carrier, only got stung after using training Glocks in FOF classes.

Like you, I moved away from the manual safety guns. Everyone had fits, when I sold all of my 1911s.

Top Bottom