Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    A gun will not go off by itself. However people make mistakes all the time. Some guns are very unforgiving, while some are fairly forgiving. One of my friends no longer carries his 1911, because he found out twice that the safety was off when he took it out of the holster at the end of the day. A 1911 cocked but not locked takes just a touch of the trigger to fire when you grab the gun. A Glock is better but things seem to be able to get to the trigger from time to time. There are tons of YouTube videos of someone holstering a Glock and having an AD. A double action gun seems to have the lowest chance of accidental discharge. It is not zero, but as low as possible.

Yep, understood. However, if you're careful, you can carry most modern guns safely by following the 4 rules and paying attention to what you're doing. A good holster makes a difference, as does always practicing gun safety. AD's occur because people weren't paying attention and did something they shouldn't have done. Your buddy with the 1911 was perfectly safe with the safety off, as long as he kept his finger (and everything else) off the trigger. Double action guns are great for those who train with them so that they're accurate with the heavier trigger. I carry a P10C every day and have no issue, with one in the pipe and no external safety. The only way I'll have an issue is if I do a dumb.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    When you need your gun, you need it to function now, not after loading it. I have seen actual video of a guy attacking a person with a knife. The violent slicing and stabbing at the victim left him no way of cycling a round without dropping his blocking arm. If you drop your arm to cycle the gun, you get a knife in the throat. Bottom line, if you carry, it had better be ready to fire when drawn. There is also the possibility that you could short cycle it while trying to cycle the action in a panic and end up holding a jammed gun, also know as a paper weight at that point. I figure if it is chambered and jams on the first shot, I at least get that first shot. I have always carried with a chambered round. That said, with modern guns it is easy to have a accidental discharge with something getting between your holster and the gun. A shirt tail can set off a modern gun as you try to holster it. Carrying with the safety on is also probably a bad idea. Many cops in the past have been injured because they drew a gun and forgot to take the safety off. I watched a navy SEAL do it once on a reality show called Top Shot. He screwed with the gun in a timed event and finally realized the safety was on. It cost him the match, it could cost a normal person their life.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You are on the right track in your process. Not speed at 1st. Just get the movements down and repeat them as close as you can every time. Practice. Practice some more and then practice. The drill will improve with every session. Then you find it is almost mindless save for sending the signal to proceed.
    Thing is you are halfway to your grip when you pull the pistol, and your thumb just seems to find the safety and as you bring the gun to bare you have most generally put the gun ready to go as you have already defeated the grip safety. Its sounds like a lot but the reality of it is sooooo simple. All done in 1 sweet motion.
    After all that then you can find the trigger. I have mine on the switch as the barrel finds the target.

If this is way too much for you, (some folks get overwhelmed and do not practice enough) Then yes carry something a bit less involved but remember......there are more extra holes put in things you did not intend to shoot, Including yourself with a G**** so I grow so weary of the "Too many safety's" argument.
    I've been working on my draw and I find resting my thumb on the safety takes it off and it is in perfect position for when my left hand meets on the grip it's perfect. I need to try this with live fire. It is very fast and smooth at this point but have not included firing it yet. So I'll see how it goes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been working on my draw and I find resting my thumb on the safety takes it off and it is in perfect position for when my left hand meets on the grip it's perfect. I need to try this with live fire. It is very fast and smooth at this point but have not included firing it yet. So I'll see how it goes.
    You are halfway home Amigo.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    When you need your gun, you need it to function now, not after loading it. I have seen actual video of a guy attacking a person with a knife. The violent slicing and stabbing at the victim left him no way of cycling a round without dropping his blocking arm. If you drop your arm to cycle the gun, you get a knife in the throat. Bottom line, if you carry, it had better be ready to fire when drawn. There is also the possibility that you could short cycle it while trying to cycle the action in a panic and end up holding a jammed gun, also know as a paper weight at that point. I figure if it is chambered and jams on the first shot, I at least get that first shot. I have always carried with a chambered round. That said, with modern guns it is easy to have a accidental discharge with something getting between your holster and the gun. A shirt tail can set off a modern gun as you try to holster it. Carrying with the safety on is also probably a bad idea. Many cops in the past have been injured because they drew a gun and forgot to take the safety off. I watched a navy SEAL do it once on a reality show called Top Shot. He screwed with the gun in a timed event and finally realized the safety was on. It cost him the match, it could cost a normal person their life.
    Totally agree! The safety has been a problem for me when hunting. A flock of ducks would come in to land and I get super excited and stand up to shoot, only to miss the best chance because the safety is on. I practice turning it off and fire a lot but it still happens once in a while. That is why I only carry guns without a manual safety. Like you said I want to have at least the first shot fired, guaranteed.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Totally agree! The safety has been a problem for me when hunting. A flock of ducks would come in to land and I get super excited and stand up to shoot, only to miss the best chance because the safety is on. I practice turning it off and fire a lot but it still happens once in a while. That is why I only carry guns without a manual safety. Like you said I want to have at least the first shot fired, guaranteed.
    You oughta try a clean shot on a sitting grouse hunting with your dad when you forget to pull the hammer back on a single action single shot .410 bore while you’re brother is videotaping the hunt. If you think holding the flashlight for your dad is tough try living that one down. Classic!

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Im sure most that CC spend time trying to learn to clear garment and holster and get on target as fast as possible , couldn't imagine taking the time to chamber a round

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have handled loaded weapons professionally since I was 17 and hunted since 8.
    Most AD’s IME are during loading or clearing a weapon.

I know of only one AD caused by dropping the weapon and that was a M249 SAW thats a open bolt and it was wore out.

I have witnessed them dropped,thrown,tossed used as pry bar and much more.

So keep the pistol in a good holster and you don’t need to unload it and reload it all the time.

Oh and keep your booger hook off the trigger until ready to fire.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have handled loaded weapons professionally since I was 17 and hunted since 8.
    Most AD’s IME are during loading or clearing a weapon.

I know of only one AD caused by dropping the weapon and that was a M249 SAW thats a open bolt and it was wore out.

I have witnessed them dropped,thrown,tossed used as pry bar and much more.

So keep the pistol in a good holster and you don’t need to unload it and reload it all the time.

Oh and keep your booger hook off the trigger until ready to fire.
    My son was shot in the head down range. The guy that shot him dropped his M4 and as it dropped he grabbed it and pulled the trigger. The bullet grazed my son's forehead, and rattled around his helmet then dropped to the ground. Luckily he wasn't seriously injured or killed. Just a scar is visible above his left eye.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My son was shot in the head down range. The guy that shot him dropped his M4 and as it dropped he grabbed it and pulled the trigger. The bullet grazed my son's forehead, and rattled around his helmet then dropped to the ground. Luckily he wasn't seriously injured or killed. Just a scar is visible above his left eye.
    That right there is the reason when the range is cold you do not touch it period. No excuses, glad your son came out of it ok.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That right there is the reason when the range is cold you do not touch it period. No excuses, glad your son came out of it ok.
    Also he reason ha you NEVER try o catch a dropped weapon!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You get used to it just like when you first started carrying. Its totally a mental thing. If you are responsible and have a good holster covering the trigger then there is nothing to worry about.

Yep, the longer you carry, the more confident you'll become. The trick is to not become over confident and to always remember that the gun is a deadly weapon and to treat it that way. Keeping the finger and everything else away from the trigger will keep the gun from going off by itself.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    :ugh:
    It doesn't go off. The gun fires after the agent retrieves it from the floor, and has his finger on the trigger as he grabs it.
    I realize it did not go off when dropped.

It was to show the danger in retrieving a dropped gun.

Top Bottom