Does Indiana have a plan for disease outbreaks in wildlife herds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I'm curious if anyone here has any connection with the DNR or state, and knows of any plan in place to address a large scale disease outbreak in our wildlife population. EHD has been here and CWD unfortunately is on the horizon. These animals would need eradicated in a sufficient manner, but I can't find where there is any plan to do so. My company designs equipment for, and has the ability to handle a situation like this, so I thought I would start here to see if there were any connections.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Doubt it.

If they don't/didn't/aren't going to have a plan for something as impactful as Emerald Ash Borer, I doubt there is any cohesion or traction on the issue you raise.

Shoot me a PM if you would though...have a couple questions.

-Nate

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Unfortunately your probably right, we need something though. It could be catastrophic and take years for the herds to return, and the impact on the hunting community could be devastating.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    EHD has been coming and going for years. Why does Indiana need to thin the heard? EHD resistant deer live to pass on their genes. The deer who can't tolerate EHD die on their own.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sure it has. EHD also has a mortality rate is relatively low, a primary transmission vector that is isolated and more predictable, and yes, SOME modicum of immunity can be built in a herd.

CWD is a whole different ballgame. Since it's been documented in wild herds all over northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin, it's not really something to be flippant about anymore. Like with several other prion diseases, "they're working on it", but there's no vaccine yet.

-Nate

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    It's not a conversation of thinning the herds. Its about properly disposing of carcasses, and any nervous tissue matter, to prevent further spreading. If these deer are just left for dead in the field they are still infectious, and the disease can continue on. That's a problem.

Top Bottom