Does Indiana require permit to be carried on your person?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I'm getting old! My memory is failing! I think they made it that you are not required to carry it on your person anymore. If you know where it can be proven, i.e. , the IC number could you please help me find it? Thanks

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm getting old! My memory is failing! I think they made it that you are not required to carry it on your person anymore. If you know where it can be proven, i.e. , the IC number could you please help me find it? Thanks

That is what the "word", is, I carry mine just like my DL .....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    its somewhere under IC 35-47. Its a start.

Lets just say some cops wont even take the physical card at face value, and wont even trust it is valid until verified by the ISP in real time. Can you imagine what one of these Barney Fifes will do if you cant even begin to "prove" you are carrying legally?

So failure to carry it with you is not a crime, but it will prevent MANY hassles if you just carry the damned thing. Burden of proof is on you to prove you hold a valid LTCH. What is the easiest way to prove that? Carry the damned thing. Its printed on paper or plastic, not a cinder block. Is your wallet REALLY that full that another card cant be carried?

Serious question: What is so hard about carrying a little card with you? This keeps coming up and it makes ZERO sense to me why you wouldnt carry it. Hell, I carry TWO! (IN & UT) So I'm sure you can manage to lug one around with you.

...Holy Sh**... wheres the Tylenol...

/rant

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Someone else is bound to provide the IC number shortly, but I happen to know for certain that your handgun permit is now linked through the central database with your drivers license.
    I still carry my pink card for the sake of ease of identification, but it's no longer a requirement to have it at all times.
    You would do well to keep your drivers license on your person when carrying at all times, though.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    This was brought up with a friend LEO during a conversation. He says I am required. The question was not if I do or don't carry it. It was if legally I have to. So "holster"it Cameramonkey! I wasn't trying to give you a reason to rant or a headache! Now en your wife will be mad at me for giving you a headache! I argued that I thought you did not but could not prove it to him. Thus he still thinks he is correct. He isn't typically wrong. He would not make an issue of it anyway. I was the one with burden of proof and couldn't!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now that I found the tylenol, a more measured approach.

LEO is wrong. (as they often are, unfortunately*.) I recall a discussion here that they repealed the requirement to carry it on your person. One of the smarter legal-types here will need to tell you which it is because When I search the state website it just says "repealed" under all the repealed statutes with no verbiage of what they were.

*case in point, I actually had an officer threaten to arrest me if the address printed on my LTCH was not my correct address. (The printed copy doesnt need to be correct, only the address in the ISP database does.)

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The IC is 35-47-2-1 and 35-47-2-24. The burden of proof is on the citizen to prove exemption or licensure. The easiest way to do that is to show the license. However you want to meet the legal burden of proof is up to you. It is unlawful to carry a handgun in Indiana without being exempt from the requirement or being licensed under Chapter 2 of Title 35, article 47. Section 1 of that chapter used to read that it was unlawful to carry without the license being on your person, or some such verbiage. It now only says you must be "licensed under this chapter".

Now that I found the tylenol, a more measured approach.

LEO is wrong. (as they often are, unfortunately*.) I recall a discussion here that they repealed the requirement to carry it on your person. One of the smarter legal-types here will need to tell you which it is because When I search the state website it just says "repealed" under all the repealed statutes with no verbiage of what they were.

*case in point, I actually had an officer threaten to arrest me if the address printed on my LTCH was not my correct address. (The printed copy doesnt need to be correct, only the address in the ISP database does.)

As for your officer, depending on when it happened and whether this was an ISP trooper or a local department officer. If the latter, and it happened after the implementation of 35-47-11.1, I think I might be retaining the services of one of our fine INGO attorneys. Treble damages sounds pretty cool to me.

Blessings,
    Bill

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The IC is 35-47-2-1 and 35-47-2-24. The burden of proof is on the citizen to prove exemption or licensure. The easiest way to do that is to show the license. However you want to meet the legal burden of proof is up to you. It is unlawful to carry a handgun in Indiana without being exempt from the requirement or being licensed under Chapter 2 of Title 35, article 47. Section 1 of that chapter used to read that it was unlawful to carry without the license being on your person, or some such verbiage. It now only says you must be "licensed under this chapter".

As for your officer, depending on when it happened and whether this was an ISP trooper or a local department officer. If the latter, and it happened after the implementation of 35-47-11.1, I think I might be retaining the services of one of our fine INGO attorneys. Treble damages sounds pretty cool to me.

Blessings,
    Bill

it was the beginning of last December, Bill. Being let off with a warning for a $1000 construction zone (in name only) speed violation was fine with me. But it did mull over a politely worded complaint to the chief. Other than his gross misunderstanding of RAS and handgun laws he was polite and professional.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...7554-yet-another-%93i-disarmed%94-thread.html

Hoosier9364

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Henry Co
    Easier to carry your permit than be arrested with a handgun, taken to jail, gun taken as evidence and explaining to the judge why you didn't feel like carrying your permit. Sounds like a lot of time and money wasted when common sense would prevail.

Top Bottom