Does powder coating cast bullets actually prevent leading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    I've been researching the casting and reloading ammo scene for awhile and looking to get a solid answer. I've mainly been looking at subsonic 300 blk since its expensive to get into, but don't want to lead up a new barrel or suppressor. I know it can be cleaned but would rather make life as easy as possible.

Does the powder coating or HiTek coating actually prevent leading?? The dry powder approach seems to be almost too good to be true, and would be more popular if it worked as well as some say it does. Any experience with this??

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have powder coated some bullets for .300 blk, 9mm, and .38 special, all for suppressed use. I have also shot some coated Bullets from MO bullet co in my blackout. They seem to work just fine. It's not really leading you should be worried about at subsonic speeds, but the lube gumming up your suppressor. I ha e shot cast bullets out of a .357 carbine at 1700 fps with no noticeable leading. It's all about matching the bullet diameter to the bore and the hardness to your pressure.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have some HiTek coated 9mm bullets from Black and Blue bullet company. I run them the same speeds as factory jacketed, and they do not lead. If there is not much breeze, the air around you smells like a burning electric motor, but there is no lead in the barrel.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    So you are saying that at subsonic velocities, I shouldn't have to worry much about coating or leading anyway? Just focus on proper sizing? And if I wanted to get into supersonic reloading there is more of a concern?

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    With cast bullets, correct sizing is the most important consideration. I shoot cast from my 357 maximum rifle in excess of 2000 fps and do not get any appreciable leading. These are tumble lubed in an alox/johnson's wax mixture. I haven't loaded any powder coated bullets for the maxi yet, but I think that they'll do just fine.

I do shoot some powder coated bullets in 9mm and 357 mag. These shoot fine with no leading, but, again, I size them 2-3 thousandths over bore diameter.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    Thanks parson.

I guess i'm showing my noob ignorance, but why does sizing the bullet over bore diameter help with leading? I understand why undersizing is bad (tumbling inside the bore) but oversizing seems to be an equal issue.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks parson.

I guess i'm showing my noob ignorance, but why does sizing the bullet over bore diameter help with leading? I understand why undersizing is bad (tumbling inside the bore) but oversizing seems to be an equal issue.

An improper sized bullets allows the hot gas's to "bleed" around the bullet which melts small amounts and deposits it in the rifling. Get a good seal and that effect is minimized.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    An improper sized bullets allows the hot gas's to "bleed" around the bullet which melts small amounts and deposits it in the rifling. Get a good seal and that effect is minimized.

Wow..I never would have guessed that. Thanks for the explanation. It's crazy how accurate the cast bullet guys are.....I never imagined it was possible

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yup, blow-by can make a real mess of your bore. If the size and hardness are correct the bullet will obturate (swell) and keep those gases behind the bullet.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I found someone local to me that casts and powder-coats bullets. He's become one of my new best friends.
    In my opinion, no matter what caliber or speed you're pushing, give coated bullets a try.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    Have you slugged your bore? This will give you bore diameter. Once you know that you can size bullets to the correct diameter for your barrel. Have you considered a gas check bullet?

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Thanks parson.

I just got back to checking this thread, but it seems that your question has been well covered. Also, As Lee S Forsberg stated, you really do need to slug your barrel to know the bore diameter.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    Thanks fellas. I'm still in research mode at this point. Trying to look at suppressors, trusts, 300 blk uppers, SBR's, and casting/reloading all at the same time to decide if I want to go that route. Haven't purchased anything yet, but everything I read pushes me closer to doing it all.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Not that anyone here is giving bad advice, but for all things cast.
    Cast Boolits
    I'd bet foldin' money that there's someone there that's already done what you want to do.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You've got lots of good advice on this thread. If you are looking to get into casting bullets, my friend, Glen Fryxell, has literally written the book on it! Lots of other good reading material, but his online book covers a lot of good info in an easy to read and process manner.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners, Table of Contents - Fryxell/Applegate

Since you are starting from scratch, I might advise buying a box of these bullets to try out PC'ed cast lead. I have shot a few of them and have been very pleased:

Missouri Bullet Company

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    You've got lots of good advice on this thread. If you are looking to get into casting bullets, my friend, Glen Fryxell, has literally written the book on it! Lots of other good reading material, but his online book covers a lot of good info in an easy to read and process manner.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners, Table of Contents - Fryxell/Applegate

Since you are starting from scratch, I might advise buying a box of these bullets to try out PC'ed cast lead. I have shot a few of them and have been very pleased:

Missouri Bullet Company

Thanks!! Will definitely check both of those out.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    Well at only 16 cents per bullet, that definitely makes this much more enticing to not cast my own. If I move forward, I'd probably just buy 300 blk brass and bullets already prepared and focus on the reloading side of things for now. Later on (and once I have a supply of 556 brass picked up) I can look into cutting my own 300 blk brass and casting bullets. Thanks again for the help.

As a side note (and to keep from digging through Google)....what is a gas check for on a bullet?

Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    its a little copper cup that is crimped onto the base of the bullet. Gas checks are used on cast bullets to minimize leading. Midsouth Reloading has 300blk cases pretty reasonable now.

Top Bottom