Does the phrase No Disrespect Intended mean I can say whatever I want?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Is it just me or do the youth of today seem to actually believe that they can just say anything they want and because they led with "no disrespect" you have no right to be offended by it? I was always told if you want to use phrase "no disrespect" you probably shouldn't say it at all, or be ready for the consequences. Any way rant over.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    It's just like when people in their 50's say "bless his (or her) heart'. Except bless his heart comes after you say something awful about aomeone. It's makes it OK.

Ol Bert never has been very smart. Bless his heart.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    For me my number one enemy is right under my nose. It's my big mouth!

I once read that when we make fun of somebody or talk about them, it is because we feel superior to them. This has made me re-evaluate making jokes at others expense.

Another is starting the sentence with "ok now this is the truth" comes across as everything else you say must be tall tales.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Similar to the phrase: "This may not be any of my business, but...."

You're right, it isn't your business so it would be best to stop talking now. :)

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It's often use followed by "but" and then some negative critique or criticism. More often then not the person who say isn't really concerned about how the other person feels about it or if they are disrespected or not. A person should however speak to others as they'd like to be spoken to so if they don't want to be disrespected, then they shouldn't disrespect others.

On the other hand, what one person says about you could offend you or not. We may or may not like it but that's tough, people have a right to opinion no matter if it's stupid. We have this wonderful thing called the 1st Amendment which for better or worse, it allows us the right to voice how we feel. I know we all have religious, political, personal, or whatever various beliefs that would offend others who believe otherwise. That does in no way mean that we cannot express those even if others might be offended by them.

Reminds me of my favorite Stephen Fry quote

<redacted>

Last edited by a moderator:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    No different than making a heart felt statement and then apologizing for it when called out about it. Paraphrasing for instance, "The American public are idiots, we'll pass obamacare because they are stupid", Oops my bad, I apologize.

See everything is better now!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One of the best pieces of advice anyone ever gave me was preceded by "No offense, but...."

You'd have to know the guy, but he did mean for me to be offended (long story), and I was, because I knew it was him being superior and getting in a dig at me. But, in the long-term, what he said really stuck with me, because it made me mad, and because it was true. I ended up making a big change in my life, and that guy's advice was part of it, and I've been much happier in the many years since. So, for me, the advice that offended me was what I did need to hear and it helped me in the long run.

Of course, I never told him that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom