• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    As a school administrator, I have worked in schools where fire drills and lockdowns were treated as just things that had to be done every month, twice a year, etc. The teachers just went through the motions, office staff only half heartedly tried to account for every student, etc. They sounded the all clear and then marked down the time the drill/evacuation took, and then that was it until next time. No after action discussions.

I began having teachers initiate the drills. I would go to their classrooms and say, you just spotted flames in the hallway, corner of your room, etc. and then they had to initiate the proper response. ---In many cases, the teachers didn't know where the fire pulls were, froze up in indecision, and didn't consider how to get the kids out of the school via an alternate route, etc.

In lock-down drills, teachers opened doors when they were knocked on. Even though the poiicy clearly stated that the door would only be opened by law enforcement(real emergency) or the principal(practice).

Although schools practice safety drills, do they practice them in any authentic fashion. Do they practice for the unexpected? (Hallway blocked by fire) Are they able to think under pressure and react to the unexpected changes? Do they practice accounting for each and every student, every time?( if so, HOW?)

In the case of our school, a malfunctioning smoke alarm, then later a man running through campus with a gun, caused my staff and faculty to take things a lot more seriously.

The GOTCHA reporting tactics reporters use during November Sweeps, irks me, but I would be confident that my staff, teachers and students would react in proper fashion in the event of a real emergency, or intruder in the building.

What does your child's school do to ensure everyone takes opportunity to practice for the unthinkable seriously? (Are you certain?)

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Local School

One of our local schools used a fake lockdown so that drug dogs could come in and check the locker area. Several of the parents were outraged, not about the search, but that the principle called for a lockdown while the search was in progress. Kids in the locked down rooms texted their parents about the lockdown and the parents drove to the school, only to see numerous LEOs in the parking lot. They thought it was the real deal. When they found out it was only cover for a drug search they were ticked off to say the least. Abuses like this will cause the kids and parents not to take drills seriously in the future.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's some really good thinking. Being in Plainfield, I can only imagine the nightmare of bungles made by the school staff. I remember what it was like when I was in HS, but things have changed recently, so maybe a meeting with the Super would be a good idea and present the ideas you set forth in here to him and see what he thinks...

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Our elementary schools have been through weather emergencies, real and practice, and lock downs, real and practice. I've been present for a few of the practice runs, so far, so good. I'm going to forward this to our school Admin team for review, thanks for the heads up.

A few years ago, I was on a small college campus in Oklahoma when ther have a tornado drill, they take it pretty seriously!! I guess it depends on the group.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Most school systems have individuals that attend School Safety Academy meetings each year where poiicies, procedures, and best practices are covered. Things have certainly improved on the POLICY front in most schools since Columbine. However, it was the drills where people just went through the motions that troubled me most.

Certainly, calling for a lock down when police were already in the building seems to have been a pretty boneheaded move, as would having simulated ARMED intruders just to make lockdowns feel more real. Those are not what I want to see. What I want is for everyone involved students, parents, teachers, support staff to know their roles and to understand the importance of practicing plans, accounting for our students during a crisis and thinking about what the holes in our current plans are. Then discussing the results of our drills in a post action forum to continuously improve upon them.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Of course we do since we are our kids teachers and administrators:D. We routinely practice weather drills, home defense and fire drills, we homeschoolers are on top of it. I says alot to a child that their teachers care for their safety.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Good thread, I think that the schools take things far less seriously than they should. But I also think that's not really such a bad thing. In a true SHTF situation, like when the schools are locked down and houses are being searched/weapons seized, I want to be able to retrieve my children from school with a minimal number of casualties. While in MN this past week, I watched Red Dawn with my 10 YO son for the first time (his not mine) then we had a discussion about how he should run like he77 from the school if he ever saw military personnel closing in on it, along with a few other pointers, he's better prepared than most kids. The nuke drills we went through when I was a young child were nothing more than a joke, placing your head between your knees and covering it with your hands really wouldn't help much would it?

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    One of our local schools used a fake lockdown so that drug dogs could come in and check the locker area. Several of the parents were outraged, not about the search, but that the principle called for a lockdown while the search was in progress. Kids in the locked down rooms texted their parents about the lockdown and the parents drove to the school, only to see numerous LEOs in the parking lot. They thought it was the real deal. When they found out it was only cover for a drug search they were ticked off to say the least. Abuses like this will cause the kids and parents not to take drills seriously in the future.

I am pretty sure this is standard practice. I went to Clinton Prairie High School, just outside of Frankfort. Everytime there was a "lockdown" everyone knew it was just a drug search. The reason they do it during a lockdown is because you catch all the students in their classrooms hopefully with their stashes in their lockers or cars. I am not saying I agree with this practice, but I think it is pretty common.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Having a well trained and informed staff in any of the situations mentioned is certainly extremely important. However, I spend a lot of time in schools and I can tell you that one of the biggest problems with scenarios like fire drills is controlling the students, especially in an urban district. If they decide not to return to class, it can be difficult for staff to do anything about it. I have personally witnessed many "disturbances" taking place during fire drills. Not to discourage any efforts to improve the situation, but depending on what district you may be in, this can be a real problem.

Top Bottom