• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Anyone here have working dogs or work the farm? I'm new to having an outdoor kennel for my work K9. I'm learning from the other guys about what they do to winterize their kennels, but I'd be interested to hear from our members with experience.

So, here's my kennel:

image.jpg

I've basically wrapped the two exposed faces (of chain link) with tarps as a windbreak and also installed a tarp as a roof on the chain link enclosure itself, to keep some heat in. The doghouse has a divider wall for a nice, small bed area with cedar chips for bedding. We are supposed to be getting hound heaters so the doghouse should be nice and cozy.

Now, the questions:

How well do water bucket heaters, bird bath heaters or stock tank de-icers work? I picked up a multi-use de-icer from Rural King but I've seen some reviews and comments about them having a short life span and sometimes the animals wouldn't drink due to a current in the water. I'm only trying to keep a 1.5 gallon metal water bucket from freezing so I don't need a huge tank de-icer, and I also have to use an extension cord. Any recommendations?

Should I bother with laying down any straw in the kennel for more insulation? He takes care of business in there, so I'd have to clean that up everyday...not looking forward to that so alternatives would be appreciated.

Is is there anything I'm missing?

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    I've used one of those flat backed heated buckets for 5 or 6 years with no issues. When it's really cold like today the water does evaporate very fast so topping off every day or two is needed.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    When our oldest dog used to stay outside, he loved straw in his dog house. His house was also insulated, and had a flap on the door. We have used the heated water bowls and the heater you just drop in a bucket. Some of the water bowls didn't last more than a season. The other water heater is going on it's 2nd season.

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    On the really cold days like today.. You might consider a tarp across the front and the one side that's open just to block some wind and make an interior zone --so to speak.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Tank heaters work great. Our tank heaters for our horses are in 100 gallon tanks, and keep them from freezing. The only time they freeze is when evaporation freezes over the water. That happens when our horses are in and it is really cold for a while.

For that amount of water you should get a heated water bowl. That is what our barn cats use.
    Something like this
    Farm Innovators Round Heated Pet Bowl, 6 qt. - For Life Out Here

Put straw where ever the dog sleeps. He shouldn't poop and sleep in the same area, so his bedding should stay clean.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    On the really cold days like today.. You might consider a tarp across the front and the one side that's open just to block some wind and make an interior zone --so to speak.

Like a goober, I didn't take a picture from the outside. This is what I did to tarp it up and make windbreaks:

-This is the view from the water bucket

IMG_1965.jpg

-And this is the view from next to the doghouse

IMG_1967.jpg

The doghouse has a divider wall with cedar chips inside, and is already 10 degrees warmer in there than air temp. (I have a wireless digital temp sensor in there.) I'm getting a hound heater so I'm not too concerned about shelter for him there as it'll be pretty cozy. I'm more curious if I should mess with anything on the floor for more insulation, maybe even cover those little gaps seen by the floor. The tarps did a great job of cutting wind and there's really none coming in from the gaps. Being a wilderness survival/SAR guy I know about microclimates and sheltering so I took the same approach here - outside, inside the kennel, inside the doghouse.

Overall, I just didn't want furball to feel like he had to be stuck in the doghouse. I guess I'm probably overthinking it...he was running and rolling around in the snow without a care in the world yesterday, but then again he IS a Belgian Malinois...

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Awwww...I like Mals! If he is young and energetic, i'd worry that he might tear up the tarps. Our cattle dogs would. We used metal roofing on the sides and top of our kennel. Is he not good staying indoors in a crate?

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Awwww...I like Mals! If he is young and energetic, i'd worry that he might tear up the tarps. Our cattle dogs would. We used metal roofing on the sides and top of our kennel. Is he not good staying indoors in a crate?

I have the tarps on the outside of the chain link so he can't get to them (yet - he IS a Mal,) aside from the roof tarp. He does fine in the crate inside, i just don't like leaving him in there for a long time since it's travel crate and really just big enough for him to curl up in.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Indianapolis has an dog ordinance that states that your dog must be brought inside:

• When the outside temperature is 20 degrees Fahrenheit or below
    • When the outside temperature is 90 degrees Fahrenheit or above
    • When there’s a windchill warning
    • When there’s a heat advisory
    • When a tornado warning has been issued

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Brought inside means what? Inside the house? Inside the garage? Inside an enclosure with adequate insulation and wind block?

I've worked with/around LE K9s for 18 years now and as the man stated, some can come inside and some cannot. I see no issue with his kennel and he's obviously taking steps to ensure the dog isn't uncomfortable.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have the tarps on the outside of the chain link so he can't get to them (yet - he IS a Mal,) aside from the roof tarp. He does fine in the crate inside, i just don't like leaving him in there for a long time since it's travel crate and really just big enough for him to curl up in.

Good that he can't get to the tarps but still keep an eye on them. I'm not so much worried about the tarps themselves but that the dog chews them and possibly ingests them which can cause very serious issues.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Brought inside means what? Inside the house? Inside the garage? Inside an enclosure with adequate insulation and wind block?

I've worked with/around LE K9s for 18 years now and as the man stated, some can come inside and some cannot. I see no issue with his kennel and he's obviously taking steps to ensure the dog isn't uncomfortable.

not sure, seems to be poorly written in my opinion. Just wanted to point out the ordinance, it's not my job to enforce, you deal with this more then I do, but I didn't see an exemption for LE animals if what he's provided is not "inside" by animal controls opinion.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Is there something supporting the tarp on the roof, so snow and rain don't cause it to fall in? Is there any chance he would climb out? I think the Mal mindset is pretty similar to our Australian Cattle Dogs. You always have to think one step ahead of them!

I'm not sure what i would do about that flooring. The wood is definitely going to get smelly from pee, especially during warm weather, and probably provide a place for insects to hide and then bug him.

Will he prefer the kennel over being indoors with you and in the crate? Most dogs seem to prefer being where the owner is, but i know some don't crate well. When we got our pit bull, he hated the crate and threw a fit. He was too young to be trusted in the house unsupervised, so we let him start staying in the outdoor kennel. Later, i wished i had worked harder at getting him used to the crate, as there are times when a crate is the best solution.

For the summer, we installed an outdoor-rated ceiling fan.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have raised hounds for 20 plus years, all of which live outside. I have elevated kennels that are wind protected and fitted with double insulated houses packed full of straw. Each kennel has a heated water bowl with fresh water given daily. They are fed high protein rich feed. I have never had a single problem with my dogs being outside. I have friends in Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Canada that follow the same regimen and never have a problem. Your dog needs access to fresh water at all times, shelter (preferably insulted and packed full of straw out of the wind), and good high quality food.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    That dog ordinance is government overreach in its purest form. My dog is mine and I will keep him where I wish. They arent people and were created to live outdoors. They do have a permanent fur coat.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Is there something supporting the tarp on the roof, so snow and rain don't cause it to fall in? Is there any chance he would climb out? I think the Mal mindset is pretty similar to our Australian Cattle Dogs. You always have to think one step ahead of them!

I'm not sure what i would do about that flooring. The wood is definitely going to get smelly from pee, especially during warm weather, and probably provide a place for insects to hide and then bug him.

Yeah there's actually a corrugated plastic roof over top of the whole 12' x 12' enclosure, the tarp roof is just to keep heat in and wind from coming over top of the tarp walls.

The flooring is actually pretty good and I haven't had any problems with it. It gets scrubbed two or three times a week except for the really cold weather spells.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have raised hounds for 20 plus years, all of which live outside. I have elevated kennels that are wind protected and fitted with double insulated houses packed full of straw. Each kennel has a heated water bowl with fresh water given daily. They are fed high protein rich feed. I have never had a single problem with my dogs being outside. I have friends in Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Canada that follow the same regimen and never have a problem. Your dog needs access to fresh water at all times, shelter (preferably insulted and packed full of straw out of the wind), and good high quality food.

Sounds like I'm about on par with your setup, although I'm still working on the heated water bowl. What do you use?

Top Bottom