• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zionsville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2021
    I’m 48 and my eye sight is going to ****.
    Been to the optometrist multiple times.
    Have glasses, even protective with progressive so I can see distance and when loading.

Here is where it gets weird, my dominate eye has changed. Was right, now it’s left.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

On my handguns, I’m switching optics but not sure how to address sporting clays.
    Do I just practice with my left until it becomes natural?

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Have glasses, even protective with progressive so I can see distance and when loading.

Here is where it gets weird, my dominate eye has changed. Was right, now it’s left.

On my handguns, I’m switching optics but not sure how to address sporting clays.
    I've been left eye dominant forever. I can deal with iron sights, or scopes and pick up with right eye. I've never been able to shoot shotgun with both eyes open. I'll keep both open until just at the trigger pull, then close left eye, make final adjustment and fire.
    Probably get experts saying that is wrong... But that's what I do.
    Rick

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

Wait another 13 years. You haven't seen s*** yet...

I thought I couldn't see anything at 48, I'd love to still have that vision now.

:cool: from another 46077

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I've been left eye dominant forever. I can deal with iron sights, or scopes and pick up with right eye. I've never been able to shoot shotgun with both eyes open. I'll keep both open until just at the trigger pull, then close left eye, make final adjustment and fire.
    Probably get experts saying that is wrong... But that's what I do.
    Rick

Same but different. Left handed, right eye dominant.

Same issue with shotgunning

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Mine will switch in the middle of a match without warning, frustrating. Eye doc said when the dominant eye gets fatigued, other will try to take over. Human body is amazing how it compensates. Have to now take a quick look at the bead while briefly closing non-dominant eye before calling to see if it switched. If so, I keep it closed & go 1 eye.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Wait another 13 years. You haven't seen s*** yet...

Wait another 30 years. You can't see s*** at all.

Try shooting a pistol with a reflex sight. I'm in the process of switching all of mine. Both eyes open all the time but there is a transition (no, not that one) period.

For shotguns... I just got a Burris FF3 from Midway to go on a Ruger Mark IV. They had a promo which included a FREE kit to mount a red dot on a shotgun ventilated rib. I'm not a shotgunner but it seems interesting.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

69 here and wore glasses all my life. Mine switched for a few years and then switched back. Begining to get cataract was the worst and now it is about the worst. I've tolerated and put it off so long now I'm going to have to give in when I see the eye doctor this year and submit to knife or lazer or what ever I suppose.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I suffered a stroke in the right eye.
    Lost half the vision in the right eye.
    Top half (tilted a bit) it's like looking through muddy water.

But, my brain switched my dominant eye to the left.
    So, if both eyes are open, I don't notice too much.

But.. shooting right handed, right eye'd with a rifle, and it's suddenly noticeable.
    Or.. if I close my left eye.

Fortunately I had researched shooting left handed/left eyed, and shooting tips for cross eye dominant for when I teach shooting.
    I figured the best way to teach, was to do it.
    So, I'm comfortable either switching eyes, or switching hands with a rifle.
    My pistol shooting is mostly right handed.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    For sporting clays, put a piece of scotch tape on the left lens of your safety glass. Your right eye will take over the sighting picture. Works for Five Stand .. hopefully help for sporting clays

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I switched from glasses and wearing contacts when playing slow pitch softball to wearing contacts all day with glasses just before bed. Guess what? Lost right eye dominance! Trying to retrain my pea brain is not easy. I've since sucked at bird hunting. I mounted an extra Sig Zero Pro I have on the A300 I bought off the classifieds and can shoot that fine. I've tried the occluded left eye trick but I guess I'm too stupid to get my brain to make the change. I have always shot both eyes open and this is just frustrating to say the least.

Zionsville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2021
    Thanks for all the reply’s!

So I bought an sig with optics. I’m 15 yards a way and I’m still missing. Put about 300 rounds through the 9mm and was 10%. I might as well throw it at the target.

Im going to research cross eye dominance and see if that is what I’m dealing with.

If that doesn’t work, I’m buying a governor and putting 410 buck shot rounds in it. I’ll just use that smoke wagon as my carry.

The other comment about the tape sounds promising for sporting clays.

Thanks

Top Bottom