• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Well I'm done with Mosins for awhile....building them that is.
    Now, if we can get some good weather I can start shooting them.
    Barrels range from 16 1/2" to 20".

picture.php

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I was planning on building one more 91/30. I got as far as converting the bolt handle and drilling and tapping for a scope mount. It was in beautiful shape and the wood looked new. Then I realized that I ran out of new ideas and didn't want to make the same old stuff so I sold it. Now all I need is time to shoot.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    how to you go about making the bolt handle?

I start with a 1 inch round piece of material about 2 1/2 inches long, turn 2.100 inches of it down to 3/8 diameter and thread the end. Then I mill the 1 inch end to 3/4x .400 then I drill and counter bore a couple of holes in it for 8-32 caphead screws. Last thing I do is bend it.

picture.php
    picture.php

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I was planning on building one more 91/30. I got as far as converting the bolt handle and drilling and tapping for a scope mount. It was in beautiful shape and the wood looked new. Then I realized that I ran out of new ideas and didn't want to make the same old stuff so I sold it. Now all I need is time to shoot.

I am one lucky guy:D, I was the buyer and got to shoot it today.:rockwoot: It is AWESOME! The gun is much more accurate than I. Not a single sticky bolt either. It was a dream to shoot, solid, accurate, and now cleaned.

2Cool, thanks for a great job. Even the RO was impressed with the Bolt and the Scope mounting, not to mention the condition of the rifle itself.

48 rounds and I am not sore at all (I think) :):

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I am one lucky guy:D, I was the buyer and got to shoot it today.:rockwoot: It is AWESOME! The gun is much more accurate than I. Not a single sticky bolt either. It was a dream to shoot, solid, accurate, and now cleaned.

2Cool, thanks for a great job. Even the RO was impressed with the Bolt and the Scope mounting, not to mention the condition of the rifle itself.

48 rounds and I am not sore at all (I think) :):

You are very welcome...have fun!

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Are those muzzle breaks? how are the metal grips attached

Yep...those are muzzle brakes, they are tapered inside and out. They probably won't help the recoil, but they dress up the rifle and might help for a better Fireball!
    I machined the pistol grips out of aluminum, I drilled a hole through the stock and counterbored the top for a 1/4-20 screw. The one on the left was my first try, it worked fine but I wanted to improve on it so I made the second one that came off at more of an angle, I added finger grooves after this photo was taken.

picture.php

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    have you ever thought about selling the bolts?

Yeah, I do have some extra bolt bodies already made-up with handles on them. The cheapest bolt bodies I have found are $20 and complete bolts are $30. I mainly did it so I can convert a rifle at home without having to take the bolt to work for machining and drilling and tapping. I already did that.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Yeah, I do have some extra bolt bodies already made-up with handles on them. The cheapest bolt bodies I have found are $20 and complete bolts are $30. I mainly did it so I can convert a rifle at home without having to take the bolt to work for machining and drilling and tapping. I already did that.
    what would you sell the body for ?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I would sell one for $40, alot of work goes into the handle part but when I get to work early, I usually make some kind of parts. I can attach an original Mosin ball on the end of the handle or a 1" diameter ball that I buy. At first I would just throw the original handle that I sawed off in a box and then I realized that I could drill and tap the ball to fit on a handle I made.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I would sell one for $40, alot of work goes into the handle part but when I get to work early, I usually make some kind of parts. I can attach an original Mosin ball on the end of the handle or a 1" diameter ball that I buy. At first I would just throw the original handle that I sawed off in a box and then I realized that I could drill and tap the ball to fit on a handle I made.
    i will deffinatly be in contact with you in the future. Right now im saving funds to pick up a 30-06 but have decided when i get that i will also be getting another mosin to mess around with. i have only one right now, and want to keep it all original, but am looking forward to modifying one. What all did you do to recrown the barrel? i have been thinking about when the time comes to shorten it as well, but not sure if i should just pay a gunsmith to do it or not.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    i will deffinatly be in contact with you in the future. Right now im saving funds to pick up a 30-06 but have decided when i get that i will also be getting another mosin to mess around with. i have only one right now, and want to keep it all original, but am looking forward to modifying one. What all did you do to recrown the barrel? i have been thinking about when the time comes to shorten it as well, but not sure if i should just pay a gunsmith to do it or not.

You can saw the barrel off and file it square, then you have to polish the end of the bore itself to remove any burrs that may be left by the saw job or the file job. Midway Usa has a video on recrowning a barrel. The first couple I did that way and it worked out just fine.
    I did buy a 11 degree chamfering tool but never used it yet. I can take a barrel to work, put it in a lathe, face it square and put a 11 degree chamfer on it in less than 10 minutes and that includes some polishing.

Top Bottom