• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Went to kingsbury to sight in my husqvarna 1953 single botl action .270 I bought a vortex 1-12x scope for it. I throw some paper plates on the 50yard range and with 13 shots I didn't even place one on the plates. Instead of wasting more ammo thats almost 1$/round.. I said F-it and I'm gonna buy a laser bore sight.. :( Pitiful, I know.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    take your bolt out and look through your bore and center the target in it, adjust your scope pretty close...also maybe try starting out at 25yd instead...it doesnt take much to be 20" off at 50yd its well within the adjustability of a scope, its only ~40moa most scopes will adjust more than that from stop to stop

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    take your bolt out and look through your bore and center the target in it, adjust your scope pretty close...also maybe try starting out at 25yd instead...it doesnt take much to be 20" off at 50yd its well within the adjustability of a scope, its only ~40moa most scopes will adjust more than that from stop to stop

Thank you for advice. i don't have access to a gun stand that holds the gun in place. I'm just aiming the gun resting the at end of the gun on a rest. I think I'll still buy a bore sight 12$ is nothing when I spent that much trying to even hit on target.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    when I sight in a rifle for the first time, I start off at 25 yards, and use a much bigger target. Seems to work for me.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Thank you for advice. i don't have access to a gun stand that holds the gun in place. I'm just aiming the gun resting the at end of the gun on a rest. I think I'll still buy a bore sight 12$ is nothing when I spent that much trying to even hit on target.

You are not resting the barrel on the rest are you? That is a no-no, especially when it comes to accuracy. You would be surprised how much barrel deflection that can cause.

I second taking the bolt out and roughing the crosshairs in then shooting at a short distance. And remember, the shorter the distance, the more clicks it takes to move the Point Of Impact. 1/4" per click @ 100yds = 1/8" per click @ 50yds. In reality you will run out of adjustment quicker the closer your target is to you.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Just make sure you remove the boresight before shooting.
    deer-rifle-1-thumb.jpg

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The first thing I would do is check the base and rings you have installed. I had the same issue a few years ago with a rifle and it ended up being the base I had bought second-hand. It was designed on an angle to lift the rear of the scope for long distance shooting.

Then do as Kingrat says - take out your bolt and look down the bore of your rifle and try to get the target centered in the bore and adjust the scope to the same point. This will get you pretty close. Definitely close enough to get you on the paper at 50 yards.

When doing this...one of the best rests you can get for a rifle to hold it steady for anything is as simpleas a few socks filled with sand....cheap and effective.

Just don't put them anywhere with your guns or anything else because the sand will work it's way through the sock - but it works.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    See if there is a gun shop nearby that can bore site for you. Most of them do it for free. Then I reccomend as others have said starting at 25 yards, then move to 50.

Top Bottom