• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    the only time punches didnt work for me was when i had to fight 10 people all at once...i dont think anything short of a .45 or a group of my biggest friends would have helped me then though....

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    There are so many flaws in this video, it just bothers the hell out of me. People DO NOT have the natural tendency to tuck their chin, they pull away leaving their chins exposed. This is the difference between and ignorant and an educated fighter. He kinda proves his point is moot when he says, "Maybe you don't even notice it right then and there when you hit somebody." well unless you break your entire hand and you don't notice it is your weapon rendered useless?

Why does his partner raise his chin when he demos a palm heel? Does it magically go against the body's "natural" tendency to duck the chin as he said? You can break bones using a palm, hammer fist, or a knifehand/chop.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    he's sort of full of :poop:

it's not generally a "natural reaction" to duck your head...if anything I would say that's a rare occurrance..and not risking your knuckles anymore than anything else in a confrontation

exposing your first stike in the fashion of a punch and particularly a right handed one is making a large gamble on the assumption your oponent has no training....gambling isn't something I recommend in dangerous situations....such a strike is by and large the most popular of all strikes and especially the first strike, making it PREDICTABLE and easily countered if they have any training

if this guy would have at least demonstrated it in this fashion rather than trying to say "lowering the chin is natural" and "risking your knuckles" I would have at least watched the whole video...... taking your eyes off target (ie by ducking your chin) makes you very vulnerable to a trained opponent

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    its one of the most basic rules of boxing, yet one of the hardest to implant in a fighters mind...."KEEP YOUR CHIN DOWN!!!!" ive heard it a million times

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I haven't been in too many fights, I do pretty good avoiding them. The ones I have been in it only took me one punch, mostly to the nose. One guy I did hit on top of the head. Thought I broke my hand, swelled up like a balloon. Luckily that guy hit the ground, got on all fours and I slammed his head into the locker. This video is good advice IMO, if that fight would of continued I prolly woulda been throwing a fist full of noodles.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The guy in the video is correct.

Years ago I was in a street fight with 2 guys. The main guy was my size. I punched him several times in the gut and face. I even kicked him a few times. I ended the fight when I slammed his head into the side of the building.

The other guy was his cousin. He had 100 pounds on me. He came charging at me. I was lucky. I saw a large stick, and had enough time to grab it. I clearly remember my hand and fingers hurting when I gripped it. I didn't have to use it, because the Town Utility manager drove by and broke us up.

Remembering back, my hand was in so much pain that it would have been difficult, not impossible, to use that stick as a club. Or even use a pistol.

It would have been nice to have the knowledge to use something else other than punching, but it is hard to think straight when in that situation.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    There isn't much as far as striking surfaces go on the human body that are easily used and within range to damage the Trigeminal Nerve cluster and render an opponent useless. The chin/jaw line being the main target within most striking arts won't leave you with the same effects as trying to punch someone in the eye, nose, or head. If you're going to learn to strike you should learn correctly and part of that is using the correct targets to aim at. I've been in the situation more than enough times to know that the fists work perfectly fine and even sustained a boxer's fracture in one of them and was more than able and willing to finish.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    What a moron! He has no clue what he is talking about. Most people pull away from a punch exposing their chin and leaving them very vulnerable to the ultimate knockout punch right on the chin. Underestimating your opponent is the biggest mistake anyone can make in a fighting situation. Always assume your opponent is better trained than you and that they are more than capable of putting you down.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't understand what he's talking about on lowering the chin. But I agree it hurts like a mother after you punch someone several times.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    when striking, one should utilize the same concept in striking as in firearms defense/retention training......extending your arms completely when in very close range is exposing a variety of vulnerabilities.......I don't know about MMA training, but all of the hand to hand/ weapon to hand training I've had in the military aims to exploit vulnerabilities such as these and deliver the maximum amount of damage as possible in the least amount of time.....i.e. I know I'm not going to be the aggressor and I know your first strike is most likely to be a right handed punch, and so I know where to target my block and counter....as soon as you follow through with your instincts to favor your strong side, I'm going to block and gain control of your "power weapon" and I'm going to break it, hopefully in half....or at the very least manipulate them to a position where I'm in control and give them a CHANCE to digress...if they don't take it then I'm back to my initial intent of most damage as fast as possible, and they are in a much worse position than they started out in

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It is just my opinion, but I don't believe there is any such thing as a "fair-fight".

If it has come to blows, I will pick up and use WHATEVER I can find around me. A rock, a brick, a 2x4, a piece of broken glass, I don't care what it is.

I will take EVERY advantage I can muster, and worry about the consequences later.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I'm going to derail a little bit here and challenge pirate and the1kidd03. Rather than acting in this passive aggressive manner in regards to people you probably don't know, nor know anything about, why don't you call those e-tuff guys out? Sounds like you want to already.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Here is a good example of the real way this situation should be handled. Notice the damage sustained when Kip hits Napoleon on top of the head.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ABi4cYB28[/ame]

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm going to derail a little bit here and challenge pirate and the1kidd03. Rather than acting in this passive aggressive manner in regards to people you probably don't know, nor know anything about, why don't you call those e-tuff guys out? Sounds like you want to already.
    you mean like yourself?? this sounds like a threat/challening reply to me :dunno:

your post proves my point, in that this forum is ruled by guys which like to boast their "superiority" in one fashion or another, and you got offended and further wish to display it..........while I was merely pointing out "tactical" methodologies regarding the OP's example provided, and you seemed to take that personally, and turn it into a pissing match :yesway:

additionally, I don't wish to call anyone out....as with anything on the internet you can only take it with a grain of salt...I have no reason to doubt anyone's experience anymore than they have reason to believe mine....since this was posted in the training section, providing more accurate "tactics" is the goal IMO...and that's what I was doing...sorry if you have a different agenda

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    No it's not about me, a threat, or a pissing match I'm just saying. You take the stance that everyone who's chimed in on this thread has either no idea what they're talking about nor have ever been there and done it and you are in no place to judge people you don't know. No one is judging you, why are you judging them?

Top Bottom