Double AR build. Plum Crazy lowers with J&T Kit uppers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Update**** completed pics on page 3.

I have been wanting to do these builds for some time now. I had been curious about the quality of the Plum Crazy lowers for the price. I have read nothing but good reviews of them so I took the plunge and ordered 2. I have 2 say that have 2 complete lowers sitting in front of me for less then I can build 1 myself is nice. I have less then $250 into BOTH of them with the FFL transfer fee!! So far the only complaint in quality I have is that the stock isn't tight enough on the buffer tube. They rattle around on the tube a little bit. That isn't a big deal because neither is staying stock. The triggers seem really nice too for stock. We will see how long they last as they are made of the same polymer at the lower.

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

I them mounted one of them on a Doublestar upper to check the fit. It was TIGHT, but I think that is a good thing. Everything functioned as it should.

IMG_6113.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

*********** ************************* ******************************************************

As far as the uppers go, I have an M4ery flat top and a 24inch stainless bull barrel flat top coming from J&T. All was told all the parts were in stock 4 WEEKS ago when I placed my order. I went to Africa for 9 days and thought I would have everything ready to go when I got back. After 2 weeks I called only to find out that the bull barrel was on order. Not a big deal, but Honesty up front would have been nice and NOT to much to ask for. Everything was said to have been shipped out today so I will update when I get the rest of the parts.......

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    if you didn't read anything bad about those lowers, you must not have looked very hard. :)

i was very interested in getting one for a new build, but the issues people were reporting scared me off. you should keep this thread updated as your rifles get more use.

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    if you didn't read anything bad about those lowers, you must not have looked very hard. :)

i was very interested in getting one for a new build, but the issues people were reporting scared me off. you should keep this thread updated as your rifles get more use.

The only things I read that were bad were fit issues with some uppers lately. I know there were some issues early on, but who doesn't have issues with something new anymore:rolleyes:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I remembered these pics from a while back (Plum Crazy Lower).

I doubt that it happens often and even aluminum lowers can fail.

I guess they would be ok for a budget build or plinking.

pclfailure1.jpg

pclfailure2.jpg

IndyS12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Zionsville, IN
    Meh. I know of at least one person who's documented using his Plum Crazy lower with a .50 upper and he had no problems other than replacing his stock with a fixed A2 and changing his trigger so it would work with the .50 upper's firing pin, but that's all stuff that might have to be done with any AR lower. :dunno:

I'll probably build one off of one of these lowers if I get some time and money to do it.

Edit: Not a .50 cal AR. Probably just a regular one...

Last edited:

Mr Bike Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    I didnt remember him asking for your opinions on the parts he chose to buy. Maybe I missed it. I will go read the op again.............NOPE, its not in there. The title of the thread wasn't "TOP DOLLAR AR BUILD". Hell, he even put plum crazy in the title. If you don't like them, no clicky the thread! This is typical of what I see on here lately. Someone posts about a project they are working on and everybody rips them a new one on something they chose to do or how they went about it. Maybe the lowers are junk, maybe not. There is only one way to find out for sure.

Spot, keep us posted!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I didnt remember him asking for your opinions on the parts he chose to buy. Maybe I missed it. I will go read the op again.............NOPE, its not in there. The title of the thread wasn't "TOP DOLLAR AR BUILD". Hell, he even put plum crazy in the title. If you don't like them, no clicky the thread! This is typical of what I see on here lately. Someone posts about a project they are working on and everybody rips them a new one on something they chose to do or how they went about it. Maybe the lowers are junk, maybe not. There is only one way to find out for sure.

Spot, keep us posted!

The OP mentions the quality of these lowers in his second sentence. That opens it up for discussion even more than it already is on a forum. Try not to get too bent out of shape over it:rolleyes:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg

Spot, keep us posted!

I looked back and I didn't see anyone "rip" him, but I see a lot of good discussion.

This thread was pretty calm until your post. :twocents:

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0

Spot, keep us posted!

Its ok. Most people only go off of what they read. I read more good than bad so I figured I would check it out myself. If I believed everything I ever read about any firearm I wouldn't own any. They kill people by themselves and the all blow up in your hand.;) Its just discussion. No skin off my back!

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    i just got one the other day aswell and the quality isnt bad at all my stock doesnt rattle its snug as a bug i cant wait to get my other parts in the mail and put my upper together and ill have myself a 500 dollar ar:D:ar15:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I was at Whittakers a while back with a friend and we saw these lowers. He started flaming them and so forth- but I couldn't resist saying, "you carry a Glock, why not this!" :laugh:

Do these lowers carry any kind of factory warranty?

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Other than fitment issues I haven't see too much negativity about these lowers either. On You Tube some guy did say his started to melt, but that was after he put 1000 rounds through it at one time. I mean come on man, your average shooter is going through 100 maybe 200 rounds at the range. Anyway for $120 or whatever it is I think it's a good deal, but only time will tell. Congrats on your economic build and please do keep us posted. I am thinking of doing a 9mm carbine build with one.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Not really a fit issue

The only things I read that were bad were fit issues with some uppers lately. I know there were some issues early on, but who doesn't have issues with something new anymore:rolleyes:

I get some feedback from people who say the PCF lowers will not fit their uppers but they are designed to be tight. When you install your upper you need to put the front pin in and swing the two parts together and then slap the grip with the palm of your hand and the two parts will mate together and will have a super fit. People are used to just putting the two halves of metal AR's together and push in both pins. There is a slight built- in interference in the PCF lower. I loaned one of mine to a guy who wanted to do a field test with his upper and he brought it back saying he could not get his upper to go on and did not want to get his grinder out considering it was not his lower. I grabbed one of my RRA uppers and using the procedure above showed him how it went right on with zero slop. Took that one off and did the same with a second upper.

Top Bottom