• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AboveTheBest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Bloomington
    I saw a deal on Sluggers at Walmart yesterday and picked up a box of 15 on the way to my Dad's house. He has an old Stevens 311 that he found on GunBroker that used to have 30" barrels until he cut them back to 20".

We set up some coffee cans and milk jugs at 25 and 50 yards, and I thought I'd be happy to hit anything. As it turns out, this thing is a bit of a tack-driver, and after dramatically blowing up all of the first targets, I decided to put some out at 75 and 100 yards.

Out of the 15 shells I only missed 2 shots, and this was all off-hand...
    1 miss was one of four shots I took at 100 yards, and the other was my second shot of a "rapid fire" string on a couple of coffee cans at 25 yards. I wanted to fire both barrels at once, but we decided that may be too much for the old shotgun.

Every shot I took would have killed a deer, and made me wonder how many deer have fallen prey to an old Stevens firing slugs. I just thought it would be some Hikock45 style fun, but now I'm thinking about how much fun it would be to shoot a deer with it this year (only after the 450 Bushmaster already claims a couple for the freezer).

If you have one of these old anchors laying around, do yourself a favor and chuck some slugs through it. I bet you'll be surprised how much fun it is.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    With the good also comes the bad.

The phases of shotgun gauges...

Age 12-"Here is your .410 son...Enjoy.."

Age 14-"Dad I need a 20 gauge...410's are for girls.."

Age 16-"Dad I am a man...I need a 12 gauge.."

Age 25-"Yep...Traded in my 3 inch 12 Gauge for a 3.5 inch 12 gauge...You know...More power..."

Age 30-"I think I might use a 20 gauge for dove and quail..."

Age 40-"You know I think that 20 gauge Remington 870 youth would make a heck of a turkey gun with the right shells and choke tube...Handy too and easier to carry in the woods..."

Age 50-"Can I see that little .410 pump on the rack? Thanks...Can I get a 4473?"

"Will the Circle be unbroken?"

No Sir...Just history on the Technics turntable of time...:)

*I have got a Russian Coach gun...Very well made, marketed by Remington in 12 gauge...She's a bruiser but like you I am impressed with how accurate they can be with slugs...I keep low recoil number 4 buck in her for house duty...

AboveTheBest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Bloomington
    No Sir...Just history on the Technics turntable of time...:)

I'm half way to your second 20 gauge phase above, and my Dad is well off your chart.
    We both enjoy shooting BIG bullets still, so maybe that needle needs replacing after all...

I think the the heft of the old Stevens keeps it tolerable, but 15 in an afternoon is probably my limit.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    If you have one of these old anchors laying around, do yourself a favor and chuck some slugs through it. I bet you'll be surprised how much fun it is.

Something along this line? (But considerably shorter...)

6gbr7l.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You are all Girly Girls!
    Here I'm getting ready to completely chop down my O/U 10ga. :):

Stevens 311 makes a great coach gun. It will eat everything just like a garbage disposal.

OneHarryMess

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2016
    Central
    Stevens are some of the best firearms built. And as for the scale of age to gauge, my grandfather hunted with his 12 gauge untill he stopped hunting at 60 something, my dad still hunts with his 12 gauge and hes in his 50s, not to mention he uses an Ithaca! Now those are some shoulder bruisers...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have a 50's era 311 my Dad bought new. Had a friend cut the barrels to 22" on a wet saw. Then I took 1.5" off the stock so I could put most of it back on with a limbsaver recoil pad. Ol' mule skinner is a fun gun now.

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Man I would love to have me a 12g double barrel (SCATTER GUN) lol BUT I don't think that they are legal for the average citizen to own. lol

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    LOL...I hope i didn't call you anything...why whats up....thats what they called em in the old days or should I say sawed off

No-
    You called me an Average Citizen.
    And we, as average citizens, can indeed own sawed off shotguns. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You have me motivated. I've been stocking up on those Walmart slugs whenever I'm there. Gonna give them a try in the coach gun.

BTW - Magpul Art of Dynamic Shotgun is really worth a watch. Taught me how to grip the gun to mitigate recoil very effectively.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom