• Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bad luck for over 10 years.

On a bit of a roll lately.

Just checked.................sweet! A sunburn and chiropractor visit in my near future :)

My partner had a great string of luck years ago, but lately has blanked (update: he blanked again). I've been the guy the last few times, and if we both blanked we just went up on Day 3, still had fun, got plenty of birds. Just took longer, and couldn't miss as much.

Was prepared should we both blank, to burn a sick day after the reserve hunts over. Amazing how after 2 days most folks won't go............and we still limit out. Was way better back in the 80's, lots more birds.............but not standing in line for hours to get a spot is kinda nice.

Now I gotta get a different barrel for my 1100. Leaving the 870 behind this time.

Deer drawings...........I gave up. Nothing but bad luck there.

FWIW my partner and I apply for the same hunt, always have.

Last edited:

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I was drawn for Dove September 2nd at LaSalle FWA.

If my step dad cant go with me, any one want to tag along and show me the ropes a little bit?

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I would be interested. Have you ever dove hunted before? A lot of the State properties will now only allow you take 50 shells to the field for the day. You will also need steel shot. Send me a PM and let me know and I will then get you information for contact. Thanks frank

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Non toxic shot............but steel the overwhelming choice due to cost.
    I think most places run a size limit, #6 I think in steel.
    Was 7.5 back in the lead days at Winamac.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I have never dove hunted before.

This will be my first time. I'll be using my grandfathers old JC Higgins model 20 12 gauge. He used it to hunt doves and pheasants when he was decades younger.

I'm excited, but have some learning to do before I'm in the field.

It looks like I will be looking for a buddy to hunt with SIG shooter..

Last edited:

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    There's a draw for the first 2 days of the season, but on day 3 any one can go out??

So, am I understanding this correctly?

Are there that many less birds on day 3?

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    On the 3 rd day it is open to the public. They will have a drawing on day 3 also. The only difference is you are guaranteed a spot the firs 2 days. What is you drawing number? On day 3 depending on how many show up they might go by first come first serve.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I went to a different place on Day 3 one year and the majority of the property was open, but they still had a couple of fields reserved.
    Strange I thought, but their place their rules. Just tossing that out there, that after the first 2 days there might be some fields still off limits.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On some places after the first 2 days it's self serve.
    Sometimes a few days after the reserve hunt there are still enough folks they have you sign in and select a field, with only so many spots per field.
    My fave field for the last 25 years has room for 50 people max (IIRC). That's 25 folks and their buddies.
    I am #19 (or 38th person in, if everybody ahead of me brings somebody), so am assured a spot in that field (should they have the same # of hunters allowed).

Day #2 last yr we were #1 pick, and got rained out halfway through. Came back for Day 3 and myself, my bud, and a stranger..........were the only 3 in that field. I still limited out. Never hunted that field before.........day 2 or 3.

Problem is when the hunters get to be few, some birds will come in and maybe set on a field and there's nobody there to blast at 'em and get them moving to the next field (where you or I might be). So more hunters, spread out across multiple fields, can be a good thing :)

Top Bottom