• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gain essential skills to use your knife and/or defend against a knife in a lethal force encounter!

What you you will be doing this fast paced, highly interactive and hands-on course:

• Legally using force to protect yourself or a third person
    • Understanding the force continuum
    • Making use of force decisions
    • Reviewing knife laws
    • Selecting an everyday carry knife
    • Carrying techniques
    • Drawing your knife
    • Gripping your knife
    • Opening your knife using various techniques
    • Cutting a practice target
    • Moving in and out of various ranges
    • Stepping and footwork drills
    • Practicing angles of attack
    • Performing alive hand / empty hand techniques
    • Activating pressure points with a closed knife
    • Defending against knife attacks
    • Deploying a firearm (training) in Force-on-Force simulations
    • Using improvised weapons to counter knife attacks
    • Protecting anatomical targets
    • and More!
    Please wear clothing that you typically wear on the street, including the same type of shoes. This is realistic training for the real world, not a gym or dojo!

Bring any (all) knives you normally carry, or intend to carry to class with you. While this course will primarily focus on the use of folding knives, we will be happy to discuss fixed blade knives as well. ALSO, contact Jim BEFORE you go out and buy a knife, especially if you are buying one to use in this course. You can spend a lot of money on a knife (Jim knows, he has and still does!) but there are good choices that are less expensive and work well. It is highly recommend that you get/have a MANUAL knife with a THUMB STUD when first learning as they are the easiest to open, properly grip and use (besides being legal in the most states!).

Class size is limited and pre-registration is required!

Instructor: Jim Floyd, M.Ed., is a master instructor in edged weapons, holds advanced black belt ranking in Shigaisen Ryu Budo, and is a certified full instructor in Jeet Kune Do and Kali-Silat. He can be contacted at jfloyd @ dignitaryprotectiongroup .com (remove all spaces)

Cost: $99.00 per person if you register early (includes student manual, certification card, and lite refreshments) NOTE: price increases to $125.00 per person at 0900 hrs on May 1st!

REGISTER NOW >> http://www.eventbrite.com/event/619482890

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    Work scheduling allowing, I am going to try my best to be a part of this class.....I could use it, and it sounds right up my alley....

Ime OuT..........don't taze me, bro'........:cool:

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the testimonial!

The changes include:

More opening/deployment techniques practice

More defensive techniques practice with new/additional techniques

More on the psychology of being cut

And whatever else folks want to discuss/work on :D

Regards,

Jim

don't hesitate to do this guys, you will get more than your moneys worth for sure. jim what stuff has been kicked up?

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I been keeping an eye on this thread as I want to attend, but I may be a "last minute" seat...when is the latest to register ?

My work is dicey right now, we are busy as HAdes, and I won't know until nearly the class start-up, if I can be there....

Thanks, Jim...I am OuT...........;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Instructor: Jim Floyd, M.Ed., is a master instructor in edged weapons, holds advanced black belt ranking in Shigaisen Ryu Budo, and is a certified full instructor in Jeet Kune Do and Kali-Silat.

Wouldn't mind attending this, but the commute...:faint:
    I've heard of Jeet Kune Do and Kali-Silat, but not Shigaisen Ryu... 市外線流? :dunno:

I assume most of the blade work will be based on Kali, but I'm curious to hear more about the lineage of Shigaisen Ryu Budo. My Google-fu is finding links that are mostly related to you/your website; can't seem to find any third party info...Got links?

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am the founder of Shigaisen Ryu Budo and did so after years of study and ranking in other arts in order to "codify" a body of knowledge and techniques under some heading, thus the reason you find links relating to me. Shigaisen, translates to "street fighting," thus the "school/system of street fighting."

Some liability insurance companies will not cover the teaching of kali-silat, but are ok with a more Asian named/sounding system (strange, but true).

The bulk of the knife course are kali techniques.

Regards,

Jim

Wouldn't mind attending this, but the commute...:faint:
    I've heard of Jeet Kune Do and Kali-Silat, but not Shigaisen Ryu... 市外線流? :dunno:

I assume most of the blade work will be based on Kali, but I'm curious to hear more about the lineage of Shigaisen Ryu Budo. My Google-fu is finding links that are mostly related to you/your website; can't seem to find any third party info...Got links?

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am ok with your showing up that morning. The only issue is that I really need a minimum number of students pre-registered so that I, at least, know that expenses will be covered.

I sincerely enjoy working with you folks in Ft. Wayne and have therefore reset the Eventbrite system to charge the early registration fee of $99.00 until the start time of the course. Perhaps that will elicit more interest.

It will be necessary to make a "go/no go" decision a few days ahead of the course, so keep promoting the course please.

Regards,

Jim

I been keeping an eye on this thread as I want to attend, but I may be a "last minute" seat...when is the latest to register ?

My work is dicey right now, we are busy as HAdes, and I won't know until nearly the class start-up, if I can be there....

Thanks, Jim...I am OuT...........;)

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Signed up and looking forward to the class. I got into a little Kali back at my old MMA gym in Chicago. Fun stuff, very useful.

Am I understanding that this isn't a guaranteed thing and the class might be canceled?

Also, the only knife I carry is my balisong. Should I be bringing something else?

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for your registration!

Unfortunately, your understanding is correct. I will need a minimum number of folks to run the course, otherwise I will be forced to cancel. If that occurs your money will be refunded ASAP.

A balisong is fine if that is what you carry. Will cover various opening techniques and you are welcome to try them on one of my knives if you wish.

Thinking positive thoughts that the course will be a go!

Regards,

Jim

Signed up and looking forward to the class. I got into a little Kali back at my old MMA gym in Chicago. Fun stuff, very useful.

Am I understanding that this isn't a guaranteed thing and the class might be canceled?

Also, the only knife I carry is my balisong. Should I be bringing something else?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    :ingo::n00b:
    I am the founder of Shigaisen Ryu Budo and did so after years of study and ranking in other arts in order to "codify" a body of knowledge and techniques under some heading, thus the reason you find links relating to me. Shigaisen, translates to "street fighting," thus the "school/system of street fighting."

Some liability insurance companies will not cover the teaching of kali-silat, but are ok with a more Asian named/sounding system (strange, but true).

The bulk of the knife course are kali techniques.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks for the reply, Jim!

Re: the liability thing...what the ??? :dunno:
    They won't cover you for Kali, which in my very limited experience works a lot of flow drills with sticks and DULL/plastic/wooden training knives and has a much lower chance of injury than some of the more 'kinetic' arts such as Aikido, Judo, Karate (sparring) etc., but if you call what you are teaching something like...let's say "無差別多数殺人剣術" (Musabetsu Tasuu Satsujin kenjutsu = The techniques of indiscriminately killing a :poop: -load of people with a sword) you're golden because it sounds "more Asian"..??!? :n00b:

The last time I was there in 2004, Kali/Escrima was still a martial art native to the Philippines, the Philippines was still sandwiched between Indonesia to south, Vietnam to the west, China to the northwest, Taiwan to the north, and Japan to the northeast, and all of these other countries were still considered as part of Asia... Did the entire country of the Philippines move all their islands to Africa or soemthing? Maybe I missed a memo that was only sent to insurance companies... :dunno: :rolleyes:

保険会社は全く馬鹿か? = Are insurance companies completely effing stupid??!? :n00b:
    --> A rhetorical question because this is the same industry that tells businesses that their employees and company are "safer" when they are deprived of effective means/tools to defend their lives against criminal assault... :xmad: :wallbash: :ranton:

Anyway, wish I could attend. Now that it is getting warmer, schedule permitting, I want to start training with a Kali group that trains in a park here in Tokyo... :rockwoot:

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I have to shake my head over most industries, especially the insurance industry, anymore.

I know it sounds stupid, but I promise you it is true. Wish you could join us but good luck with your studies in Japan!

Regards,

Jim

:ingo::n00b:

Thanks for the reply, Jim!

Re: the liability thing...what the ??? :dunno:
    They won't cover you for Kali, which in my very limited experience works a lot of flow drills with sticks and DULL/plastic/wooden training knives and has a much lower chance of injury than some of the more 'kinetic' arts such as Aikido, Judo, Karate (sparring) etc., but if you call what you are teaching something like...let's say "無差別多数殺人剣術" (Musabetsu Tasuu Satsujin kenjutsu = The techniques of indiscriminately killing a :poop: -load of people with a sword) you're golden because it sounds "more Asian"..??!? :n00b:

The last time I was there in 2004, Kali/Escrima was still a martial art native to the Philippines, the Philippines was still sandwiched between Indonesia to south, Vietnam to the west, China to the northwest, Taiwan to the north, and Japan to the northeast, and all of these other countries were still considered as part of Asia... Did the entire country of the Philippines move all their islands to Africa or soemthing? Maybe I missed a memo that was only sent to insurance companies... :dunno: :rolleyes:

保険会社は全く馬鹿か? = Are insurance companies completely effing stupid??!? :n00b:
    --> A rhetorical question because this is the same industry that tells businesses that their employees and company are "safer" when they are deprived of effective means/tools to defend their lives against criminal assault... :xmad: :wallbash: :ranton:

Anyway, wish I could attend. Now that it is getting warmer, schedule permitting, I want to start training with a Kali group that trains in a park here in Tokyo... :rockwoot:

Top Bottom