• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    I got my Bushmaster off of a guy who needed money..(actually he didnt ask his wife if he could get it), I got the gun and 250rnds w/can for $700 NEW!! He had it for a week. I keep telling him he needs to get a Kimber next.. ;)
    Anyway...I had wanted a Colt or RRA?? and always thought the Bushmasters were a
    "lesser" gun. Boy was I wrong!! Love the gun so far and glad I didn't spend the $1100 on a used Colt.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Question: Have very many people ever sold their "high end" AR, then replaced it with a "low end" AR and been happy about it?

I'm sure there's a few... after all, a Pinto/Gremlin/Vega will usually get you where you want to go. As long as it's not too far away. And the road is smooth. That said, I think there are many valid reasons to own any AR at either end of the scale.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Question: Have very many people ever sold their "high end" AR, then replaced it with a "low end" AR and been happy about it?

I'm sure there's a few... after all, a Pinto/Gremlin/Vega will usually get you where you want to go. As long as it's not too far away. And the road is smooth. That said, I think there are many valid reasons to own any AR at either end of the scale.

FYI - I had a 72 Pinto that was the most reliable and economical car I've ever owned. It was by far the cheapest, and most "low end" car I've ever owned, and is one of only two cars I wish I still had (the other being my 69 Super Bee, which was by far the LEAST economical car I've ever owned, but certainly the most fun).

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The best thing we've learned in this thread? Don't ever sell your Super Bee, Chevelle, Mach I ect. You will always regret it.
    I love big cams, high stall coverters and the smell of tire smoke.

tater86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Well now that everybody voiced there argument let's all agree that any ar is better then no ar. Shooting my dpms at some paper today and going to have fun doing it!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The best thing we've learned in this thread? Don't ever sell your Super Bee, Chevelle, Mach I ect. You will always regret it.
    I love big cams, high stall coverters and the smell of tire smoke.

I agree about the smell of tire smoke (see avatar) but wasn't that discussed in another thread, am I in the twilight zone, is this thread about to go to bacon...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    FYI - I had a 72 Pinto that was the most reliable and economical car I've ever owned. It was by far the cheapest, and most "low end" car I've ever owned, and is one of only two cars I wish I still had (the other being my 69 Super Bee, which was by far the LEAST economical car I've ever owned, but certainly the most fun).

My '74, metallic green-ish Pinto blew up on an exit ramp. I can only surmise that all the oil sloshed away from the pickup.:( It was, by far, the worst car I ever owned. I'm with you on the Super Bee.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have a dpms panther and also have had a bushmaster. Never had an issue with either. Just because they are lower end ar doesn't mean they are bad. It just means they are cheaper. Your $1500 ar is nicer I'm sure but is it worth 2 of mine? And let's face it. All you are doing with a .223 is shooting paper. And I feel like mine does that just fine. Go ahead and yell at me guys. Interested in hearing your response.

I've got two Bushies (one is a Remington R15) that do everything 100% as well as my "higer end" Spikes and others. In fact, the Rem/Bushmaster R15 is easily the most accurate.

I think people would be surprised as to how many parts are made EXACTLY the same way or even by the same suppliers on rifles whose prices vary by as much as $2000.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've got two Bushies (one is a Remington R15) that do everything 100% as well as my "higer end" Spikes and others. In fact, the Rem/Bushmaster R15 is easily the most accurate.

I think people would be surprised as to how many parts are made EXACTLY the same way or even by the same suppliers on rifles whose prices vary by as much as $2000.

I would have guessed that the Spikes (or a PSA) cost less that the Remington.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    PSA Costs as much as a Bushy. I think now the argument has shifted from bushy/dpms is worse than high end rifle (that costs significantly more) but now it's you could get a PSA for the same price or less or just spend another $150 on a colt LE6920 or $200 on a BCM and be better off. ETA: The reason a lot of the "high end" rifles cost more is that rail systems add significantly to the price, but offer significant accuracy improvements over a non-free float hand guard.

akethan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    I used to buy cheap ARs and I never really had any problems with any of them except my LR308.

That said, I don't think I could ever go back to a sub $1,500 base AR.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Do you guys not understand one damn thing about QC/QA controls, testing and how much that drives up pricing on a gun part, a race car part, an airplane part?

Would I own an entry level, cheap fun accurate plinker? YES! Is that what I would bug out with in a SHTF scenario? NO!

See if you can find the "Boing 747 made in China & bought at the Dollar General store" sticker on that engine next time you fly out of town. See if that doesn't make you want to change planes.

:popcorn:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Personally when I make a purchase I take into fact the resale value, even if I have no desire to sell. I dont want to lose money if in fact something comes up and I have to sell. This is why I use the phrase buy once cry once.

tommyj223

Marksman
    Rating - 77.8%
    7   2   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    lowell
    well ive seen a few dpms that didnt shoot right,but i think it was more the owner than the gun.and my xm15 never fail to fire wheni squeezze it

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    i find it funny ....:rolleyes: how some are so eager .....the blame the weapon when 98% of the time with most AR weapon systems the problem is type of ammo or magazine issues.....i have seen PSA ,Spike's,dpms all of them have issue with people shooting cheap ammo or foreign ammo and blame the weapon .....your weapon is as only as good as the ammo you use for it......:ar15:

akethan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    i find it funny ....:rolleyes: how some are so eager .....the blame the weapon when 98% of the time with most AR weapon systems the problem is type of ammo or magazine issues.....i have seen PSA ,Spike's,dpms all of them have issue with people shooting cheap ammo or foreign ammo and blame the weapon .....your weapon is as only as good as the ammo you use for it......:ar15:

Not so true, my OBR 7.62 will eat any ammo I feed it, including my handloads. The DPMS LR308 I used to own would constantly FTF and FTE on the same ammo.

Once I switched to small base dies it got more reliable with handloads, but it still would choke on surplus stuff that the LT eats and spits out just fine.

cookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Henry co.
    AR'S LOWERS ARE THE SAME BUT WHO'S NAME IS ON THEM,ALL PART'S WORK IN ALL OF THEM LIKE DPMS,BUSHMASTER,RRA,AND SO ON.90% OF THE TIME ITS BAD AMMO OR A BAD SPRING THAT MAKE'S THEN NOT WORK.
    AND THAT'S MY 2 CENT'S ON THAT.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I've had a couple ARs before and I'll probably get one again and I'll probably get a DPMS. Why? Because I'm not tactical. I'm a freaking insurance adjuster. What am I going to do, clear each room on my way to the fax machine? Throw a flashbang in the underwriter's office? Do a tactical reload while calculating recoverable depreciation? I have a buddy who's going through his "tactical" phase right now and is buying equipment like he's a on the boat to Afghanistan next month when his business is running his bar and his website. I will probably never put enough rounds through an AR in a lifetime to break a sweat much less break a decently built AR. Even if the S does hit the fan I'm realistically probably going to fire less rounds than a weekend warrior's Saturday afternoon practice session. So rock your cheaparse AR and spend the difference on a higher quality carry pistol (which will you be carrying 99% of the time?). Chances are you're probably going to shoot it less than even me. Lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom