• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Saw one at the local gun dealer. I like the looks and pretty much everything about it.

Anyone have experience with DPMS firearms?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I shoot a DPMS, and I have experienced no problems with it. I will say from what I could gleen from several sites it is their bolts that are the most prone to failure. Simple fix, I bought and run a BCM BCG as insurance. Possible problem solved.:yesway:

As far as parts go, all the "add on's" as far as upgraded Mil Spec parts, all have all fit and functioned perfectly. Two seperate uppers, the BCG, stocks, sights etc... I did have to lightly sand the PMags I bought as they fit alittle tight in the magwell. No big deal IMO. I also like the fact that DPMS come with an unnotched hammer. No mod needed to shoot my TacSol .22 upper.

Just spent the day shooting my new Palmetto State Armory upper with the DPMS lower. Functioned perfect. It ran Tula, Federal, Herters, and PMC ammo as did the DPMS upper that came with the rifle. MAN am I sunburned!:n00b:

If you're like me, and most likely 99% of all AR owners, and have no plans on fighting a war with an AR, IMO a DPMS is just fine. BTW, Bud's has one model for $589 with free shipping.

:twocents:

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    According to the "experts" at M4carbine.net... you have 3. Colt, Noveske, and Daniel Defense.

About ALL the rest are worthless junk.:rolleyes:
    LaRue and LMT don't get honorable mention over there? :D Tough room...

I dislike the fit of the DPMS lowers I have owned and handled, they all seemed noticeably looser when pinned on the uppers as compared to a few other brands. Aside from that they all sent rounds down range just fine.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    What sort of options?

Lots of options for the same or a little more:

Spike's and PSA have some great deals going. You could also get any of the mid-level ARs for around $800- S&W, RRA, Stag, BM, Armalite etc. ,

I put together a mil-spec A4 for $775 out the door. DPMS has a history of poor products- out of spec parts, mislabeled barrels, FUBAR chambers, improperly staked gas keys, etc

Now, that's not to say that every DPMS is a POS. Every company, even the top ones like DD, LMT, KAC, Noveske, BCM, Colt, etc put out a lemon. But some companies do this more often.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    BTW, Bud's has one model for $589 with free shipping.

:twocents:

Atterbury had a new DPMS of some sort (not sure of model) for $575 when I was there on Friday.

I have no first hand knowledge of their quality, but from reading DPMS would not be my first choice. Do your research and make your decision.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I have two DPMS AR15 rifles. One is a Panther Lite 20" barrel, and the other is a M4gery with a chrome lined barrel. I guess that means I do have first hand knowledge. I have sent hundreds of rounds down the Panther Lite and over a thousand down the M4. No problems ever with either one. Somehow both came with gas keys staked properly as well. I must just be one lucky son-of-gun.

I am planning on switching over the A1 upper receiver on the Panther Lite to a flat-top A3 upper receiver. I was a little impatient to get my first AR15 when I bought that one. I plan on staying DPMS when I do that.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Man, with all of the bad things everyone is saying about DPMS, I had better not shoot mine any more for fear that it will blow up in my face or accidentally shoot the guy beside me at the range. I am now afraid that it will just come apart in my hands the next time it is fired. I am getting the urge once again to toss all of my firearms into my apartment pond because they are all unsafe pieces of junk metal. The next threads I see will probably be bashing the crap out of Tauruses and then Rugers.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Wrong. Its the sarcasm and whining attitude that gets old. If your rifle runs great, that's awesome. But don't tell a newbie that hamburger is the same as prime rib or a pinto is the same as a camry. Dpms earned its reputation for a reason.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    No one said that DPMS is prime rib. I said mine run fine. They are what they are, entry level AR15's at a entry level price. Most of us will only use them as range toys, and for that purpose they work just fine.

I'm not sure which is worse, fanboys or irrational bashers...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom